Seven String pickup replacement

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by TheSeventhString, Mar 21, 2017.

1. TheSeventhString

TheSeventhString SS.org Regular

Hey there everyone,
    I am currently new to playing a seven string, but not new to playing guitar.
    To get into playing a seven string guitar i wanted to start affordable, just in case i did not like it. My guitar is a Jackson JS22-7. This model is a gloss black with what appears to be direct mounted pickups. However its a direct mount(i believe) that looks similar to a 7 string Active pickup(mine are not active), like an EMG 81-7 or a EMG 707. Basically a pickup that fills up the entire pickup hole in the guitar body. This is the first guitar I've ever owned with these style pickups. A lot of manufacturers do not carry many, if any, passive pickups in this style. Can i change these pickups to a standard set and install a pickup ring? or is the dimensions of the guitar body different?
    if i have to go back with this style of pickup due to the body, do any of you have a recommendation as to where i could get some passive pickups in that style? or what pickup would you recommend.
    Sorry for the length, I wanted to try and be specific as possible. Correct me if i am wrong about anything. I would appreciate any help you can give me.
    BTW I play rock,metal,djenty stuff. Not really a person for jazz. So whatever pickups fit that style.
    Thanks!

Link to a guitar exactly like mine:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-js-22-7-dka-electric-guitar

mod edit: keep it to one thread per topic please

Hey there everyone,
    I am currently new to playing a seven string, but not new to playing guitar.
    To get into playing a seven string guitar i wanted to start affordable, just in case i did not like it. My guitar is a Jackson JS22-7. This model is a gloss black with what appears to be direct mounted pickups. However its a direct mount(i believe) that looks similar to a 7 string Active pickup(mine are not active), like an EMG 81-7 or a EMG 707.

Basically a pickup that fills up the entire pickup hole in the guitar body. This is the first guitar I've ever owned with these style pickups. A lot of manufacturers do not carry many, if any, passive pickups in this style. Can i change these pickups to a standard set and install a pickup ring? or is the dimensions of the guitar body different?
    if i have to go back with this style of pickup due to the body, do any of you have a recommendation as to where i could get some passive pickups in that style? or what pickup would you recommend.
    Sorry for the length, I wanted to try and be specific as possible. Correct me if i am wrong about anything. I would appreciate any help you can give me.
    BTW I play rock,metal,djenty stuff. Not really a person for jazz. So whatever pickups fit that style.
    Thanks!

Link to a guitar exactly like mine:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar

2. FrznTek

FrznTek SS.org Regular

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Link just goes to a homepage for me. Is this the one?

http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Zoom/10001/2910131576_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Because that's all I get when I google the model.

In the pic above, they're just normal passive-sized pickups. However if yours does have soapbar-sized pickups, a few manufacturers do make soapbar-sized passives. Seymour Duncan, Bareknuckle, EMG (active), Lace, Lundgren... Probably more I am forgetting.

Dimarzio do not, as you say, but you can either buy pickup rings to cover the oversized pickup hole, or you can just direct-mount passives and deal with the gap.

Alternatively, mojotone (if I'm remembering the company name right) sells 5-string bass pickup covers which will fit over a passive-sized humbucker, and will fit in the active soapbar route. Some modifications will be required though.

4. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

a quick fix would be a soapbar sized set of seymour duncans pegasus/sentient. There are other brands/models out there, but these get a lot of good feedback, and are exactly what i am considering for my own js22-7 with soapbar sized pickup routes :hbang:

On the other hand, I may put in a bit of extra work to use get normal sized pickups to work in the route without being too unsightly. I always anticipate "recycling" hardware every once in a while by trying pickups and other parts in my other guitars. Standard passive shaped pickups are the most flexible with this in mind.

5. MetalThrasher

MetalThrasher Thrash & Burn

Look into Duncan's. I believe that Jackson uses Duncan designed pickups on certain guitars. You have a lot of choices. I would look into a Custom 5 for the bridge and either a Jazz or 59 for the neck.

6. jamesw1301

jamesw1301 New Member

Hey guys, Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a question on this exact topic:

I'm considering the JS22-7 (gloss black version) as my first 7 string, but I know I absolutely will change out the pickups withing a very short time of buying the guitar. So with this in mind, I want to know what Active pickups are out there that will fit right into this guitar? Does anyone know if EMG 81-7's will fit?