Setup not to my liking

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Sklubby, Jul 21, 2021 at 2:42 PM.

1. Sklubby

Sklubby SS.org Regular

Hello All

I have an Ibanez RG 7620 (25.5, low pro bridge) tuned to drop A with D'Addario strings 9-54. I really liked my string gauges but I brought it for a setup because the action was getting too high past the twelfth fret.

The tech said the best he can do for the low A is 60 and that was pushing the limits. This was because of the tension on the guitar

I got the guitar back the other day and the low A lacks sustain. When I hold a power chord on the lowest strings the notes on the low A don't last as long as long as the low E, it sounds bad.

The tech is saying I should go up to 10's and/or change the low A to a 62 or a 64.

What do you think? What should I do?

2. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

i would experiment with thicker gauges. i use 13-68 for drop b on my 25.5 6'ers, up from 12s. improved my intonation, sustain, tone, action... pretty much everything i was having issues with.

the only drawback is that it's a little harder to do bends, but i've also come to learn that i like fighting my strings a bit.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021 at 3:11 PM
  3. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

You can have low action or lots of sustain but generally more of one means less of the other. The tech isn't necessarily wrong, but the question of string gauge is also more of a personal preference/play style thing than pure mechanical fact.

I would try some heavier gauges as mentioned. You might hate it, but either way you'll have learned something.

Also, you could totally learn to do this setup stuff yourself, and after not too much time you'll be able to do as good or better job on your personal instruments as a tech who isn't you and doesn't know your exact needs in terms of fret hand pressure, picking pressure etc. This is a good way to really understand that a setup is never 100% and the key to a "good" setup is knowing where you're willing/able to compromise perfection for functionality.

c7spheres and thebeesknees22 like this.
  4. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

I second learning to set up your own guitars. It takes some trial and error and some practice, but it'll be one of the most invaluable things you can learn. No one will be able to quite setup a guitar exactly like you want other than you.

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I'd try a 70 or 74 on that low A string. I use a 70 for Bb standard and it works great. Before that it was a 74. If I drop A with it it's stlil good but 74 would be better. Also, high action is great but it makes you work for what you want. It sounds better, sustains better, and makes you a better player, imo.
    - I third learningto do it yourself. You'll pull your hair out for a while but it's totally worth it, saves you money, and will be customized to you and how you want it to feel and play.

6. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    How about a fret leveling or a refret? Don't forget the fall away for the higher frets...

7. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I use 11-64 at A standard on my 3720z (flame maple top, similar to 7620 as a 25.5" 7 string though). Make sure that you have a touch of relief to avoid fret rattle on the lower registers if you reduce the action at the bridge at all. Remember that it is a balancing act between action at the bridge and relief on the neck to get things playable at all registers.

If you are not happy with a setup from a tech, the tech should be willing to do a second adjustment for you if it is a service that you had paid to have done.

8. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

comment posted in wrong thread. Sorry

9. Wucan

Wucan SS.org Regular

54 is way too sketchy for that tuning. Try 62 for sure.

And doing your setup is pretty easy honestly, one hour of YouTube and tinkering with your guitar will go a very long way.

10. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

Man 54 is barely good enough for Drop D for me lol.

11. TrevorT

TrevorT SS.org Regular

I think a 54 is fine for drop A as long as you have a light touch. You'd probably need to set the action higher on that string though to avoid buzz, as less tension results in the string oscillating more. I would shim the saddle. Your tech should be able to do that if you're set on keeping the 54 gauge.

Edit: Also, why is your tech suggesting you go to 10s? What do the higher strings have to do with the low A string?

12. odibrom

odibrom .

I'm going to repeat myself, but, if one is raising the action due to higher frets' buzz, it means that the lower frets are getting more use and more wear, hence the need for a fret leveling job or, eventually a refret for stainless steel ones (so no more need for fret leveling)... the question is not the string gauge, but the fret care...

13. TrevorT

TrevorT SS.org Regular

It can be a number of things. It could very well be that the lower frets are worn, or perhaps the neck has swelled close to the heel and the higher frets have been raised a bit. Maybe the frets weren't perfectly levelled to begin with. Either way, a looser string will oscillate at a higher amplitude, and therefore buzz more easily, all else being equal. A fret level or a partial refret as you suggested in an earlier reply would be much more expensive than experimenting with the string gauge and action, so I would want to be certain that the frets are the issue before advising OP to go that route.

odibrom likes this.
  14. odibrom

odibrom .

Frets are the issue considering that the bridge has been raised. It means that it has been lower without buzz AND with "this" string set. If it is due to fret wear or fingerboard/neck swelled, it should be properly looked at. If the tech didn't see that, maybe OP should find a new one... but this is me on the other side of the screen/globe...

15. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

If a tech did your setup, I would assume he or she checked the frets. I have two 7620's, one 7420 that have 064 for the low A. I have found it to be the sweet spot, but note that my 7420's A sounds a bit more 'dead' than the other guitars. Even when these guitars are almost similar. There could be something in your guitar that just doesn't resonate with the low A frequencies. That said, I hardly notice it through my amped signal. Do you?

With respect to the people that recommend gauges 070 and higher, please only consider that if you hit your strings very hard. Strings that fat will cut out the high end and give you even less sense of sustain on a 25.5 scale length guitar.

16. Wyvern Claw

Wyvern Claw SS.org Regular

I use 9-56 for B standard on a 25.5" scale. I would recommend at least a 56 for drop A, but I'd go for a 60 if I were going to consistently keep it in that tuning and not go back and forth between that and B standard. You most certainly do not need more than that, and going into 70+ to me would just feel bizarre and way off from the other strings.

For me and my own personal preferences, I do not ever want to have to fight my guitar for anything. I want them as effortless to play as is reasonable and I seem to get away with 9-56 for B standard with 1.8mm action off the 12th fret on the low B down to 1mm on the high E with no buzz if I pick lightly and unnoticeable buzz if I play harder if I'm going through a high-gain amp. The neck has very little relief as well. Probably around .007". All 3 of my 7s still sustain beautifully with that setup.

Tons of people here seem to prefer way more tension and higher action, but if that's not to your liking I think what you want to achieve is still totally doable if you up the low A a bit. As others have mentioned, if you still have trouble then it may or may not be the result of your frets needing some attention. Make sure there are no subtle twists in the neck as well and that the neck is appropriately shimmed if need be.