Setting witness points for .180 F# bass string?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by sepsis311, Jun 13, 2019.

1. sepsis311

sepsis311 Devil's Advocate

So I strung up my warwick in F# with a GHS SuperSteels .180, and it's a great string. The taper ends just after the bridge saddle, so the string break at the saddle is perfect, and the full wounds are over the bridge and neck pickup. However there is a slight arc over the nut since the string is full wound over the nut. I tried pushing down behind the nut at the first fret, but the string is too thick to set the witness point that way. Have you guys figured out a method? Pliers?

2. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Is the nut cut properly? When a string is that large, the nut angle is especially important so you have a single point at the leading edge of the nut where the string pressure rests and then a perfectly straight path to the tuning machine. You may have better luck winding the string up the post rather than down to reduce the break angle and keep the string from rising out of the slot.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Personally i press down on the string with 2 thumbs immediately either side of the nut. If you only press on 1 side the string will just rock and not bend much. Press several times gradually increasing pressure, checking each time, to not over-bend it.
    However a string that thick will never have a sharp kink so don't be too concerned,

4. sepsis311

sepsis311 Devil's Advocate

So I widened the nut slot a tiny bit, i didnt want to go crazy bending the string because the just-a-nut on those warwicks are height adjustable by only 2 set screws, and i didnt want to strip the threads. It seems much better now. It was hard to tell that the string wasn't properly seated, barely a mouse fart could have even squeaked between the string and the bottom of the nut slot, but it's perfectly seated now. I like the idea of top wrapping the string to have less bend over the nut, I will try that as well. Thanks guys.