Setting Up Acoustic to D-Standard

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by cGoEcYk, Feb 13, 2020.

1. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Hello, I am finally getting a slightly fancier guitar... Breedlove Organic. I was pretty impressed in-store, had noticeable single note clarity, pretty nice low end, and overall build/details looked good for the price range.

Do you guys think I'd need to do anything on the new guitar if I tune to D-standard? I was thinking just put 13's on it.

2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Approved - go with 13s. :agreed:

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Can't really answer the question without knowing what strings are on it. You'd need to increase the gauges by 12% from standard tuning, to have the same tension on the neck. This is the only way you can guarantee retaining its existing setup and not needing a truss rod adjustment.
    But I wouldn't worry about that anyway. Use what strings feel good to you, and adjust the truss for them.
    I'd agree something like 13s would be good for D. Assuming it's strung with 12s in E, the setup shouldn't change much. Personally I'd probably use 12-58