Setting levels properly from axefx iii into daw?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by 777, Apr 6, 2021.

1. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

Most default patches on the AxeIII are set at -12dB which I've been using for recording purposes.

My volume in to cubase at it's loudest is just below 0dB on the input meter. Should this be higher?

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

You dont want clipping in your DAW. So long as you arent clipping, you're fine.

3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Digital 0 is the loudest audio can go. If the signal is getting pushed into the ceiling then the clipping that occurs is very harsh and nasty sounding. If you’re not clipping them you’re okay, but I can’t imagine a scenario where you’d keep your guitar level at -0.1. As soon as you add an additional element you’ll be peaking the meter. I’d probably drop them down to -18dB just to have a bit of headroom for processing and other instruments.

4. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

Maybe I need to post some screenshots. 0dB is in the middle and +6dB is at the top afaik

5. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

The common "rule" in digital recording is aim for -18dB RMS, but in reality, if you keep your peaks around -6 to -8 on the channel meter, you'll have plenty of room to work and you can clip-gain your tracks up or down if needed. You can actually push individual channels well into the red in most DAWs as long as your master channel output isn't clipping. There's no (digital) clipping inside the DAW, just at your inputs and outputs (for the most part, I'm sure someone knows of a reason this isn't 100% true.)

6. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

Thanks everyone will do some testing tomorrow :)

7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

If you’re just talking about the channel peaking around 0 on the fader then you’re fine.

8. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Yea mostly accurate, as long as you use 32-bit float. You can still clip within a DAW quite easily at 24-bit, mostly between plugins is where it happens.

I'd just add that the REASON you aim for -18dBFS RMS/LUFS in digital is because it's equal to 0dBVU RMS on hardware. Most AD converters are designed around their nominal and unity levels being at this 0dBVU level, so when you play in this area, your equipment tends to sound in its designed sweet spot.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  9. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

^ and as a benefit you'll generally find everything adds up in the DAW really well when working to these levels. I always go into superior drummer and turn the outputs down etc to mock up a well levelled recording. Then all the group busses and things tend to be just the right level to feed the master bus with barely any clipping on busses that is shaved off easily with regular compression. Then your faders are all at zero ready to start the mix rather than all bottomed out to stop everything clipping as is so common

c7spheres likes this.
  10. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

You should look at the Pink Noise mixing technique to make this even easier :)

Winspear likes this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, I always raise this point - there are other arguments, especially if you're running "prosumer" preamps and converters rather than hitting the front of a Neve desk or something, why you want to be pretty conservative with tracking levels, but every time someone tells me I should be tracking hotter to make sure to "use up all of the bits" or something similarly stupid, I point out that if I'm recording everything to peak at just under -0, by the time it all hits the master bus I'm going to be deeply in the red and you'll just have to start turning everything down in the DAW anyway.