Series loop modded Rectifier and HX Effects problem

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Rev2010, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

During this Covid period I modded the amp myself successfully but took the amp to an actual Mesa authorized tech to look it over and correct anything I may have done wrong.They said I did a great job and they just cleaned up some solder connections a bit. The problem I am having is that if I have my HX Effects in the loop of the Rectifier, as soon as I go to connect a TRS to tip/ring cable from the external channel switching jacks on the Recto into my HX Effects the Rectifier bugs out! It produces a very loud buzz and hum if if there's a ground issue or something to that effect. Channel switching also does not work. However, if I take the HX Effects out of the Mesa's FX loop it then switches channels correctly. It's just that I can't have it in the loop AND also have it connected to the HX for external channel switching. I've tried everything, plugging the amp and HX into different outlets, tried every possible connection, tried with and without the Recto footswitch connected etc. The amp just will not tolerate both being connected in the loop and also having the external switching connected. Anyone come across this?

Rev.

2. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

Please take this with a grain of salt, as I only had the HX Effects for a relatively short time, but if I remember correctly I had massive problems with balanced cables, as soon as I used unbalanced ones the noise was gone.

3. luckymethod

luckymethod SS.org Regular

I have experienced something similar with a helix floor and my Mark v and it was a ground loop. Something like the Ebtech Hum Eliminator should do the trick.

Rev2010 likes this.
  4. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

That's exactly what I read. The two options are to either get a Voodoo Labs midi switcher to change amp channels or get the Ebtech or Behringer hum eliminator and use it between the effects unit into the amps loop. Being the hum eliminator is the cheapest route I think I'll give that a try first.

Rev.