Send me YOUR premixed song or demo for a quick master

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by DeKay, Jan 9, 2019.

1. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

I'd love to know if the techniques that I developed over the last 10 years (and personalized without any guide the last 6 years) are working for lots of varying mixes. Maybe I can help you guys out aswell!

My approach is not a metal mastering approach or any of the approaches that are there online. It's a highly personal complex and coloured chain that I will customize on each mix I get sent.

Warning, shit's fat and very tight (if the mix is good ofcourse...).

If you aren't good at mixing this is mostly important other than the levels:
    • Take care of the harsh frequencies on stuff like cymbals (especially high mids) please or else I need to take out those elements which effect the other instruments.
    • Make sure the bass guitar is not overpowering the kick to much, I rather have to much THUMP from the kick than almost nothing, because I can balance that out with complex harmonic distortion pretty well!

THESE WILL BE DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF FILES I GET SENT VERY QUICK MASTERS, PLEASE REMEMBER THAT.

Post a download link in the replies :)
    You can hear my methods on my album stream in the signature.

2. BlackFalcon17

BlackFalcon17 SS.org Regular

Are you asking for mixes to practice on or are you just promoting your service? I'm a bit confused...

3. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

I did not think that far, it can be practise and could be more. I don't really have official services, I tried a long time ago but didn't follow that path. I just want to let this spark something, if someones interested to hear what their mix would sound like and maybe give advice.

4. BlackFalcon17

5. Snood

Snood Member

How much headroom should we be leaving in the master out?

6. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

However you want, I can work with everything :) even broken stuff.

7. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

BlackFalcon17 likes this.
  8. Snood

Snood Member

Here's a chug fest. I'm very novice at all of this so my feelings won't be hurt if it's too shit to work with. If you do it and feel comfortable sharing, could you give a brief description of how you approached the master?

https://soundcloud.com/user-611733231/civtecnomaster

DeKay likes this.
  9. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

BlackFalcon17 likes this.
  10. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

Here is my master of your demo chug fest :)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NfRHcu9c4wjf_yCB0uj2f4JKftDBdy1u/view?usp=sharing

I looove working with very demo alike recordings, I can get ALOT out of them and A/Bing them is HELLA fun :D
    Hope you like it.

The processes I do are so on the fly and complex, it's individual on every track.

Snood likes this.
  11. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I have one for you... just some bass playing, direct line from my bass amp (not mixed) with a tiny bit of reverb/delay added in Sonar. I would love you hear what a quick master would sound like! Should be downloadable.

https://soundcloud.com/dr_thunda/bass400-tapping-di

DeKay likes this.
  12. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

This one will be fat. I hear something in my head... I will send you 2 versions :)

cGoEcYk likes this.
  13. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

Mastered: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DUWQTPHdq2aFcFRt4dYhkme9hELGNZsg/view?usp=sharing
    My ambiental special version <3: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15tss0PUMK9moWUqGku1Sv23JmugfJSKF/view?usp=sharing

Cant wait to hear what you think :)

14. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Love the remasters!

I hear something like this- nice dB increase, slight softening of some upper mid spikes, low end (sub 100Hz) is very cleared up and the very low (40Hz) verb/echo warbles sound dynamic. Higher end is also way more revealed (4-5K+ fret clicks) but blended in nice/musical way. Noise gone. Overall feeling a harder and more aggressive ("burly") mid presence.

I like the ambient version too. It is like a step in an urgent ethereal direction.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  15. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

I found a candidate in the back-collection... live recording, great engineer, solid drum mix (sick drummer)... not mastered at all. The bass is a little over loud on it. If you could do this one up I'd be grateful!

https://soundcloud.com/dr_thunda/cacol-2008-g-live

16. Snood

Snood Member

Hoooly shit that kick is huge! This is cool, thanks! Any tips on making the mix more amenable to mastering or was it pretty easy to work with? I noticed the snare was buried in the mix at some points. Any particular frequencies I should be boosting or notching in any of the instruments?

17. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

The mix is really all over the place, I did the best to tame most mistakes :D I'm sorry that I had to say that, but man - if I can make that in 15 minutes then you know you are not far off!

As far as I remember back, the bass was very weird mostly in the 100hz and almost none of the oomph in the 50hz region. Lots of high mids in the guitars aswell that made them harsh! And always tame your highs and high mids on the cymbals, compression or limiting those freqs does so much to the overall balance and it also saves your ears from the tinnitus of death... high mids are the devil on ears.

Snood likes this.
  18. BlackFalcon17

Nice job dude! Yeah, I knew the overheads were kind of wild, but you did a good job taming the frequencies. Seems like you added a good amount of volume too, I'm curious as to how you managed to do that

19. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

Careful saturation, limiting, harmonic distortion and other maximizing technique :) thanks!

20. Synllip

Synllip Cyan