Send me your DI guitar tracks so I can test pickups :)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by 777, Feb 11, 2021.

1. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

Im looking into getting some pickups and figured since I have an Axe III I can re-amp DI tracks to see what the pickups would sound like with my rig.

Looking specifically for BKP Ragnaroks, C-Pig, C-Bomb and DiMarzio metal pickups.

Thanks!

2. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

THANK YOU. I was trying to get this started some time ago. It's like trying to fucking pull teeth around here.

3. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Jamming skill level: the powers Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert are in my hands

Recording a DI I want to share: S-Sorry everyone I'm new to this, normally I can play I promise - Ok, take 47

If a tree falls in the forest, does it still make a sound?/If a guitarist only plays well when nobody can see/hear, can they even play?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  4. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

To be honest, DIs of a pickup in a different guitar than yours can give drastically different results. I only find them useful to compare different pickups IF they're recorded exactly the same way, in the same guitar.

@KnightBrolaire has a massive thread with DIs of each pickup (tested on the same guitar) that you guys can check out. Apparently plenty of people have missed it :shrug:

elkoki, Alex79 and KnightBrolaire like this.
  5. moonbox

moonbox SS.org Regular

Ok.

1. I don't think this is going to work the way you want it to work. I bet if you have n-many of us record a DI of the same pickup then you will get n-many different pickup tones. Not because of the guitars but because of the player. Each player has unique attributes that affect tone -- skill level, hands, posture, pick attack, force put into the strings, muting technique, precision, and so on. Then you have setup preference that affect tone like pickup height, individual screw pole adjustments, action height, string gauge, string core type, age of strings, and so on. Then finally you have the most important factor by far -- tonewood. Tonewood of course being the least disputed and most consistently noticeable effect on guitar tone. Tone wood is why my tone sucks, definitely not skill level. ;)

2. For maximum consistency, you should ask people to play the same riff. Think about the BKP or SD pickup shootout videos on YouTube.
    - SD -
    - BKP -

3. If you want to hear either a Nazgul/Sentient or an Alpha/Omega set let me know. I can upload some DIs.

Flappydoodle, Matt08642 and Emperoff like this.
  6. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

^ this. A guitar has a lot of influence in the sound so if you like the sound of my pickups, they may not sound the same in yours. Too many variables to even talk about

Emperoff likes this.
  7. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

Can you link it?

8. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've posted an older version of this comparison here a few times, but I've also included the DI files this time. Let me know if the link and files all work for you :yesway: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lCrCYvMgu_G5gnGrEms5H-CLvSQ6jCIa?usp=sharing

I have the DI's for each pickup staggered so you can drop them into your DAW and listen to them one after the other rather than having to click through and solo each one. The "5150 load" file is a quick reamp I did with my 5150 boosted with an OD-808, then into my Suhr Reactive Load, an Ownhammer IR of a Mesa Traditional 4x12, and a little bit of EQ. The order is the BKP Ceramic Warpig first, then the Dimarzio Blaze Custom, BKP Ragnarok, and the Dimarzio Ionizer last. The guitar is my Carvin DC7X in drop Bb plus a low F.