Senator Barney Frank (D-MA) calls for decriminalization of marijuana

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Codyyy, Mar 24, 2008.

1. noodles

noodles Contributor

:agreed:

2. Zepp88

Zepp88 Arktanian Diplomat Contributor

Most of our politicians seem too worried about their reputations than actual politics. It just does not make sense to me why alcohol is legal, and marijuana isn't.

But here's one other issue about drug legalization: Are there some drugs that are inherently too dangerous to legalize? I could see legalizing marijuana and possibly LSD with little problem, but what about the others?

3. JBroll

JBroll Hard-On For Freedom™ Contributor

People on acid and shrooms never fuck with anyone, they're too busy painting the walls back into the house.

Seriously... you're missing something. The issue is "Why should the government be allowed to restrict my actions?", not "Could we please maybe just for a little sort of kinda you know try legalizing something, Mr. Government guy person in charge of things man?"... drugs don't shove themselves into people. Hold PEOPLE accountable for their actions, not drugs. Anything else is just letting people off the hook for their fuckups and we've seen that doing that doesn't work.

Jeff

noodles likes this.
  4. Zepp88

LSD :wub: I just wish it was legal....

Good point, and is what I would say as well, except for the fact that I don't fully know the affects of every drug you know? It's like when you bump into a crack head while walking through D.C. and you're trying to get away from the jumpy fucker without pissing him off for fear of getting shot :lol:

I could go for passing a "High in public" law similar to the "Drunk in public" law..

5. JBroll

If you're endangering someone, you should be held accountable for it. If you're not... fucking hell, why worry about it?

Teach people to make choices and stop letting excuses like "I was drunk" or "I was on drugs" or "I got totally hammered with a campaign worker, drove our asses off a fucking cliff, and rather than calling for help swam my useless ass down myself to try and help and failed miserably, and by the time I woke up the next morning and hadn't told anyone who could have helped I figured the problem had just magiced itself away" and we'll be a lot better off.

Jeff

6. Zepp88

I'm just taking in account the stupidity factor, there's just no way to fix this issue... :lol:

7. noodles

noodles Contributor

Quoted for fucking truth. :yesway:

8. JBroll

Fix the stupid, not the things you can do wrong while stupid. The former may be hard as hell, if not approaching impossible, but the latter punishes the wrong people and doesn't help the ones it intends to help.

Jeff

9. lordofthesewers

lordofthesewers SS.org Regular

I love you!

10. noodles

noodles Contributor

Guys, keep the off topic shit out of P&CE. /mod

11. ibznorange

ibznorange Chief Officer/RHLC © Contributor

Because we got too groups of dolts that have a monopoly on the electoral system. Why do you think McCain is sucking up so much to the republicans? Do you honestly think he'd stand any sort of shit chance at getting to the election if he didn't warmonger around for a while? There's no way in hell.
    McCain isn't a big fan of the war, talk to him in person about it. I've done so on several occasions. Shit, he went to war, and look, because of it, he cant even comb his own hair. He got tortured so bad in Korea as a POW that he cant even lift his arms up high enough to comb his own damn hair. Hes stated in person to me that he doesn't like being in Iraq, but that you have to give up some to get stuff done. How is he (or anyone) supposed to get anything done if he/they dont have support. Its just not how things work. The issue is that whoever you may be, you cant walk in, take the presidency, and do the right thing straight up. you have to kiss ass to get shit done. Completely ass backwards (the monopoly), yes. but its what we've got to work with.

12. jacksonplayer

jacksonplayer The Fusion Guy! Contributor

Actually, he was one of the most heavy-handed imperialists ever to hold the office. Now, Calvin Coolidge, there is a man I admire. Maybe the greatest president of the 20th Century.

13. noodles

noodles Contributor

That man gets a bad rap because there is nothing to remember him for. He did nothing.

Well, other than not meddle, while presiding over the strongest economy of the twentieth century.

14. ibznorange

ibznorange Chief Officer/RHLC © Contributor

:yesway:

15. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

On the drugs issue... I am assuming that in this ideal world of yours there would be free healthcare paid by the taxpayer?

I for one would not be happy with paying for the extra illnesses and problems that others inflicted on themselves using drugs. At the moment it is bad enough having to pay for healthcare for the heart attack prone obese and alcoholic members of society filling up beds and not to mention methadone treatment. Then we will have to start paying for the people with more drug rehabilitation issues, say even more heroin addicts who want to get clean or patients who suffer from drug induced psychiatric episodes or other issues. A&E will get even more clogged up by fools jumping off shit and doing themselves damage (and don't say it doesn't happen because I've seen it for myself).

Then we have to consider the fact that some people just need to be protected from their own stupidity, ignorance and indestructibility complexes (see: teenagers). So is what you are saying is that 15 year olds should be allowed to attain a potentially life crippling addiction without any protection from society? The "parents should do a better job" answer is not appropriate in most cases as a teenager is trying to find a new role-model to base themselves on during this stage and rebel against their parents who were their previous role-models. And education still isn't reaching a lot of people obviously.

Just a few thoughts that I thought I'd share. I'm not looking for an argument at all. :)

arnoroth661 likes this.
  16. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Well, in some states, they're talking about passing laws for when people ignore roadsigns, they have to pay to be rescued. In cases, for example, when the road is flooded out and the person drives into it anyway and then gets their car swept up against the side of a bridge or whatever. Something similar could be enacted. Paying out of pocket for mistakes = less likely to do stupid shit.

Well, why do kids smoke and do drugs? Cause they're not supposed to. Legalizing it to an extent takes the rebellion factor out of it, you know?

17. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

And what if they cannot afford to pay? Are you going to chuck a repentant heroin addict back out on the street because he realised that he blew his last buck on heroin and wanted to clean up? Not everyone has access to money like that and some are struggling to make ends meet.

If your hero/role-model smokes/whatever I think that it would have a pretty major influence on your decision at least subconsciously. I was told that drinking and smoking under-age was illegal and I never had the urge to do either. :shrug:

18. noodles

noodles Contributor

You already are. Addicts can't hold onto jobs, degenerate to the point they cannot take care of themselves, and eventually become wards of the state, be it through prisons or court-appointed rehabilitation. So, your tax dollars are already paying for these drains on society.

Alcohol is illegal to anyone under the age of 21 in my country. Obviously, the same sort of restrictions would apply to other substances.

People do NOT need to be protected from their own stupidity. There is nothing in our Constitution that says that that is the role of government. More importantly, *I* do not need to be protected from other people's stupidity, because *I* can make decisions for myself. It is not the right of the government to tell us what we can or cannot do to ourselves, and just like prohibition, outlawing a substance does absolutely nothing to keep it out of the hands of those that want it. All this is proposing is decriminalizing it, so we're not clogging our courts and prisons with people guilty of nothing more than taking a substance.

19. JBroll

One more question...

If you don't want drugs legal, how the fuck do you expect Americans to learn the metric system?

Jeff

arnoroth661 likes this.
  20. Zepp88