Semi hollow wood choice help needed!

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by kerekem, Aug 3, 2014.

1. kerekem

kerekem SS.org Regular

Hi folks,
    I need a bit of help.

I am going to have this guitar built in the next month, and I am a bit hesitant about my wood choice.

[​IMG]

I am gravitating towards this concept:

basswood body (70%)
    sapele mahogany top (30%)
    almost 14 inch wide
    bolt on (with actual metric bolts clamping into threaded t-nuts under the fretboard)
    walnut neck (stable as a maple neck, but not as bright)
    24.5 inch scale
    24 frets
    fat neck
    semi hollow(big tone chamber on the bass side, maybe with soundholes on the top)
    wilkinson trem
    (On the sidenote: to me, only singlecoil comes in neck positiion, and in the last few months i had to reconsider my misconcept about 'only a humbucker is good enough in the bridge position'.
    A singlecoil is clearer, more defined, and it can distort really well, or at least what i use, and how i use.

Would this concept work?Any help appreciated.
    (mahogany with maple cap and maple neck wouldn't work, i have a prs for that setup:hbang:
    It would be modern rock-blues weapon.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. rikomaru

rikomaru SS.org Regular

What makes you question your wood choice? I don't think i've ever used or even seen a hollowed basswood body before so that could be interesting.

3. kerekem

kerekem SS.org Regular

As You just said,I have never seen this wood combo before,so before jumping into an expensive build with a doubtful endresult,I will rather ask.
    I like the neutral,fluid sound of basswood,but it needs a bit ballsyness-hence the mahogany cap. Not to mention,that a one piece striped sapele front looks awesome.

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I'm of the opinion that if you don't like the sound of your guitar you switch the pickups, not the wood. But that also means that I think your plan is fine. :yesway: