Selecting right guitar for specific tunings?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by vejichan, Feb 19, 2017.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

People who own more than one guitar...do u have each guitar with different tunings? I have 4 and I used to have them all in standard but I realize that it would be better to allocate each guitar for specific tuning, so one for standard, one for Eb, one for drop c, one for drop b and lastly one for drop d. Which guitar for which tuning would be better ? I have basswood/maple top, alder, mahoGany/maple top, koa.

2. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

Brighter guitars tend to be better suited for lower tunings. I keep most of my guitars in standard/drop D, with a couple in open tunings. If I want to play a song that's in a different tuning I'll usually just pitch shift to match with my Pod. As long as I stay within a fourth of the actual tuning it'll still sound natural.

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

which one is better?

the one that sounds better to you

4. Nag

Nag chugs and screams

As with most of your threads, the answer is "it doesn't matter, do whatever you feel like doing"

/thread

5. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

:lol::lol::lol:

6. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Some of my guitars I don't tune down far because I would have to drill out tuners, widen nut slots, etc to take thicker strings and I don't want to mess with them (mostly my Parkers). Otherwise, some guitars, individually just seem to work better in different tunings. Pickups might be a factor there (really bright pickups work well for tuning down), but I wouldn't think wood has much to do with it.

7. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

Longer scale lengths are usually good for lower tunings due to the triangle of string gage, tension and pitch.

YMMV.

8. Tripped1

Tripped1 SS.org Regular

+1

I have also found http://stringtensionpro.com/ (its D'Addario's tool) extrememly useful.

I tend to have tuning gauge combos that I like for specific guitars:

My LP Studio is usually standard or "Cashmir" with 0.010s
    My LP SL normally has heavy bottom 10s (0.010-0.52) in Eb or Drop Db
    My SE Custom standard with 0.009s (I need to set that one up for 010s, but that is a 5 hour adventure getting everything back right when you mess with that one)
    My BC Rich Eagle normally is set baritone AEADGC or BEADGC That joker has a straight telephone chord on the low A its a 0.9 A bass string. Had to go fat because its still only a 25.5" scale I have been thinking about having a friend build me a 27" 26 fret Baritone, but I'm not gigging, so the Eagle is good enough for now, but the scale is still to short to get the intonation right all the way across the fretboard.

My 7 String varies, its standard .010s but I kind of bounce between Standard B, BEADF#BE and of course a the drop As of both. I got that alternate tuning from Ben Eller, it essentially makes the thing a a baritone six string with high E vice something like a Fender Bass VI that has guitar tuned intervals a octave lower (EADGBE)

9. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

I agree, but be prepared for the exciting sequel to this thread, coming soon!

10. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

11. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Nailed it.