Seems chicks no longer like shredders

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kristofer Dahl, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    You don't even have to play if you're doing it right.

I'm going ti admit, I've gotten more than one girl's phone number because, when talking to them, I've added something to a small pocket notebook.

"What did you write?"

"A verse, or maybe a chorus, for a song."

Note: Yes, I've actually been inspired by some girls by something about them which struck me, whether eyes, personality, a sad story which leads to an anthemic song about being there for them, whatever.

"I can't take credit, because you've got something special. Do you want to see what I wrote?"

No one refuses.

"Oh my god... Is that really about me?"

"I guess the most amazing thing about the extraordinary is that those who have always lived in the heart of it don't see how extraordinary they actually are."

Who doesn't want to hear how the song turns out, and even spend time with the one who saw that in them?

I don't do this as a party trick, but on the plus side, every person who ever struck me as a potential partner has easily inspired at least one song.

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Once a time girls like shredding existed. The 80s.

Steve Vai once famously said "When you tour with David Lee Roth, blow jobs grow on trees."

See, back then shredders were the cool gunslingers that not as much attention as the singer. It was both possible to be practicing non stop, and ride the wave of debaucherry. When you're singing songs about living in paradise, girls, girls, girls, nothing but a good time amongst other things, naturally the chicks will come. Most of the modern shredders nowadays are turning the gunslinger mentality into guitar hero like gaming, playing songs with lyrics that read like a thesis from a science major. Flight of Icarus makes you want to ride out and conquer the world, but Icarus Lives just makes you feel like you're doing vector calculus exams. Where's the fun in that?

Yeah yeah, I sound like a grumpy old fart, but I was raised with music where shredding was considered a badge of honour without looking like a damn dork. :lol:

3. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    You are mistaking Vai getting Roth's overflow with the sausagefest which Vai would inspire at his own concerts.

The chicks came for the singer, not for the shredder.

4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

That goes without saying. Chicks will always gravitiate to the singer, and even moreso with Roth. At least back then shredders were still getting attention, even if they were the singer's sloppy seconds.

5. Kristofer Dahl

Kristofer Dahl SS.org Regular

Yep agreed! We shredders have to ride the wave, that's our only chance :D

6. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Eighties shredders are some of the dorkiest though.

7. TankJon666

TankJon666 SS.org Regular

If you want a guitar to attract chicks I suggest instead selling that guitar and buying a years gym membership and protein shakes. Anything left over can be used for buying a pair of speedos for the beach! Chicks dig speedos...

8. chickenxnuggetz91

chickenxnuggetz91 What kind of sauce?

Want to get chicks by playing guitar? Grab an acoustic and time travel back to the 90's and early 2000's. I also back the working out idea. These days? Hardly anyone cares about guitar. If you want to impress chicks with music....yes an acoustic might work, but only if you present it subtly along with four-to-the-floor electronic music. Grab a laptop. Never perform or show how you make music, only present the final product and indicate that it took a little while to get the guitar part right (with only your acoustic guitar in sight).

But yeah, the only time guitar got me girls was when I was ripped, had hair, and had an acoustic. Instant sexy times.....but the times have changed.

Now all women care about at my age is how big my paycheck is. Want women? Make lots of money. Be a shredder if you actually enjoy it. It gives you something to do and keeps your mind sharp.

9. Kristofer Dahl

Amen to that!

10. caskettheclown

caskettheclown Sexytime!

Some chicks still enjoy shredding but its steadily losing its appeal for sure.

I got lucky and found me one a few years ago :)

11. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Man some bitter folks in here :lol:

Seriously though, who the hell still gives a crap about Wonderwall?

12. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

Is Wonderwall even relevant to people under 30+?

I'd figure people now would want to hear an Ed Sheeran song or something, but I don't go to house parties much.

13. MFB

MFB Banned

Considering it didn't even come out until 1995, yes - it's quite relevant to people under 30.

14. piggins411

piggins411 SS.org Regular

Lucky for me, I love Say Anything, and even their angrier songs sound nice on an acoustic. However, I do NOT carry my guitar at parties, so I've never had the chance to be that guy

15. Kristofer Dahl

I thought you we're going to say 'who cares about chicks when there are [ random animal ]. :scratch: :D But yes, I am also bit surprised to see wonderwall mentioned so many times - I guess it depends on what generation of chicks you are aiming for.

16. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

One thing I've discovered is that, even if shredding doesn't attract women inherently, it can still be used as a tool for good. Want to make sure the "wonderwaller" doesn't get anywhere? Then thoroughly outclass him at your instrument in front of the ladies, AFTER he's already done his thing (although do so tastefully, in the style of Paul Gilbert's acoustic solo from "To Be With You", making certain it doesn't sound like wanking). Putting him in his place has a sort of deglamering effect, breaking the spell of indie rock awe that it induces in the surrounding audience. They probably won't be going home with you, but they probably won't be leaving with him either.

17. Kristofer Dahl

hehe - Aahh the joy of destruction! ;) Maybe we should just stay in our bedrooms shredding and not care about woman, that's where we belong anyway :D

18. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

:nono: I can't live without (oYo)

[​IMG]

19. Kristofer Dahl

20. asher

asher So Did We

Unpossible!

I'm not good at practicing so I can't woodshed, despite the amount of time I spend in anyway...