Seeking input on Jackson Pro Series RR3..

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by PrestoDone, Mar 23, 2021.

1. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

Hello guys! I pulled the trigger on a RR3. As far as i know they are built in indonesia. Do you guys have any experience on the quality?? Thanks in advanced!

2. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

Indonesian Pro Jackson had a reputation of quality control issues in the past, though it seems to have improved in recent years. As usual, if you buy it from a vendor that has your back and will let you return lemons you'll be fine.

Though real talk, this is the kind of question you ask before, and not after you made the purchase

3. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

Got it off sweetwater, if there is a problem i can return it. I have a buddy who told me the indonesian guitars are actually pretty well made, but thought i would ask here too...thanks for reply!

4. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

Jackson's quality control of their Indonesian guitars is a bit of a hot mess tbh. Fingers crossed you get one that you're happy with.

I think LTD does a better job with their Indonesian models than Jackson.

5. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

I agree with this statement based on first hand experience. I've bought two Jackson Soloist Pro SL2s in the least 3 years, and the more recent one (...2020 model) had sharp fret ends, to the point they'll need some pro work to be acceptable and not leave scars on my hands! The overall quality is still excellent, but that's a bad miss. The other one was perfectly fine from the factory all around.

6. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I've only ever played 1 pro series jackson and it was a Dinky loaded with fishman's from the factory. Over all to me that guitar seemed very solid. Had one of the best neck profiles I've ever played. Main reason i didn't get it was it has a floyd rose and I already have a guitar with active pups as well.

7. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I bought a Jackson WR7 recently and I couldn't get the action below 2.25mm, so keep that in mind. Currently at a shop to see if they can hopefully get it acceptable for me otherwise I'll need to return it or sell it.

8. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

Over the last few years, the QC has been a bit dodgy from what I've seen. Fortunately, with some more reputable vendors like Sweetwater they can help sort things out in case you wind up with a dud.

9. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

Keeping the fingers crossed the incoming guitar is ok. Thanks guys!

10. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

One last thing fellas,...what should i look out for when i get the guitar? Things that i should send it back for.

11. manu80

manu80 Jackson for life !

frets condition, dings but they're part of this shape regularly, hard to keep the horns pristine
    Functionning electronics.
    WHen i see new indo models prices those days, you can almost get a used usa for the price...sigh...

12. groverj3

groverj3 Bioinformagician

That's like... far too high to be playable. The highest any of my stuff is maybe 1.75 at the 24th fret on the low E. Mostly, measured from the 12th fret I set everything to 1.5 mm on the lowest string, and 1.25 on the highest.

I'm curious what about it was causing this to be the lowest you could get it. Were the frets really poorly leveled from the factory? Or is there some other kind of issue, like neck relief or defective hardware.

I would think that if the frets were that poorly leveled then no amount of raising the action would stop notes from choking out.

13. groverj3

My 2c here is that I've avoided the Indonesian Pro series in favor of buying old MIJ ones. I have played some well-made and seemingly defect-free newer Indonesian and Chinese Pro models in music stores the past couple years, but I've also seen some iffy ones prior to that. Anecdotally, the QC has improved over time. The stuff out of the Fender Mexico and WMI Korea factories has been consistently awesome though.

Sweetwater will take care of you if there are issues.

Things you might expect and I've seen pretty often on MII Jackson Pros: finish inconsistencies, pickup height (if direct mounted, and therefore not as easy to adjust) being off, nut height being wonky leading to action problems.

It's completely up to you whether any of them are dealbreakers.

Additionally, check all the electronics when you get it, and look for high/low frets. That goes for anything though, and is not specific to any one brand.

I wouldn't return a guitar over sharp fret ends. It's just way too common and happens to even custom and super expensive stuff depending on climate and temperature. Just spend $30-$50 at a repair shop or buy a file. I might for poorly leveled frets, depending on how bad they are. That's a different story.

Crumbling and Marked Man like this.
  14. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

If you're looking for a workhorse, then the old MIJ are still kings (when they return back to their old prices anyway, 700 USD for a DK2 or a DKMG on Reverb? Fuck off), but you're basically limited to mostly bolt-ons unless you can get your hands on one of the Soloists or the 5s, and there's not a wide variety of options. If you expand to the Jackson Stars/Grover Jackson stuffs then anything goes, but even those has been limited in the last couple of months, there hasn't been many new listing popping up on Digimart or Ishibashi.

15. NoodleFace

Hopefully I'll find out this week. The shop had a two week delay :(

groverj3 likes this.
  16. groverj3

Were you getting lots of buzz., dead notes, etc. when you try to lower the floyd rose posts? This is either fret leveling issues, or it's just that the truss rod needs to be adjusted which is not a big deal at all.

Alternatively, the locking nut shelf could be too high, that could cause action problems.

Those are really the only three possibilities.

Edit: It seems I already said all these exact same things in the thread you made about this. I have the memory of a goldfish, haha.

17. NoodleFace

I've been doing my own setups for like 20 years, so not afraid of the truss rod. The bridge had to be raised a lot to get rid of buzz from 12-24, which made it roughly 2.25mm action. The truss rod also needed to be adjusted because there was weird buzzing with the relief.

My guess was it needed a fret level out from the factory, that's the only thing I currently don't touch on guitars. Hoping that's the case and they can fix it, otherwise I'll need to contact Jackson.

groverj3 likes this.
  18. groverj3

Gotcha.

If so, that's pretty inexcusable. No guitar should need a fret level when new.

19. NoodleFace

They got around it with a nut shim and saddle shims on the floyd, got it back today. He addressed one high fret along with that, and got the action to 1.5mm so I'm happy. Only $65. I could've shimmed it too, but felt like with a brand new guitar I was going to have a pro do it.

groverj3 likes this.
  20. groverj3

Ah! Okay. That's not as bad as I thought then. Kind of par for Indonesian stuff then. Glad it got sorted out!