Second Metallica new music video "Moth Into Flame"

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by blacai, Sep 26, 2016.

1. craigny

craigny Winning...duh

I have to agree...Kirk just cant play anymore....he used to shine in the studio at least, but when I can play lead almost as good as Kirk (Rhythm player here!).....that's bad

2. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

If Kirk feels that bluesy, less-technical solos best fit the songs and express where he's at as a musician right now, then I say more power to him. I've never understood why some players rank solos or players based on how technically challenging or exotic they are.

I definitely liked this more than the first single from the record - it felt more like the Metallica of yore (my teenage metalhead years spanned the Puppets to Black Album release dates, so that's the nostalgia sweet spot for me). I'm still not rushing out to buy the album on release day, but I'll certainly give it some consideration.

3. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

It's a mystery. Like he forgot how to play guitar.

4. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Now theirs a reward for kirks missing playing, if found please return :lol:

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

So far one good song, and one really awesome song. Death Magnetic was like that (That Was Just Your Life was really good, and All Nightmare Long was good). I hope the rest of the album shapes up to be as good as Hardwired and Moth in Flame, because this song kicks plenty of ass.

EDIT: And that solo at 1:27 pisseds me off. It sounded awesome as first, but was really anticlimactic. :(

EDIT2: Did they also fix the production? Hardwired sounded pretty meh, but the production with this song sounds LEAGUES better. Drum isn't forefront in the mix, guitars sound louder and MUCH beefier, a bit more of the bass is present.

6. mgh

mgh Betwixt and Between

i like it more than the first song they released (not hard)
    i actually feel the verse/second verse bit is excellent, and the melodic bridge after that should be amazing, but Kirk is a lazy .... who dials in a nothing lead riff. Unfortunately the chorus is rubbish. the post chorus/solo section is awful.
    again, no QC at all. they really should retire

7. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Wow. I actually like a new Metallica song.

Am I in the right universe?

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yes, the band that sold almost half-a-million records in half a week with their last album, sell out arenas constantly, and recently released a song that's actually REALLY good should retire. :lol:

They're not going to retire just because metal elitists like you hate them. :fawk:

9. WolleK

WolleK SS.org Regular

And nobody mentioned that KL Explorer till yet?

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

I wanted to say that. :lol: I'm surprised I didn't see him pull out his ESP Vulture, nor do I see Kirk's Randall in the background.

EDIT: I DO see Kirk's Randall... but it's his old RM100 from like 10 years ago, not his Fortin head. :lol:

11. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

100% agree Jazz!! Yeah why would they retire when they sellout everything they do. I mean i wouldn't retire either.

12. Genome

Genome SS.org Regular

Firstly, the solo isn't great and I feel the drums are a touch bright/loud.

But jesus, the riffs at 1:56 and 3:10 are the best thing they've done since 1991. Great stuff. I love it.

Hetfield is the riff king.

13. mgh

mgh Betwixt and Between

metal elitist vs metallifanboi the rematch
    look, a turd is a turd. i am the biggest Maiden fan in the world and hated Dance of Death. And lauded the last album. If you know Dissection, whereas many hated Reinkaos I quite liked it.
    And you're right, I should have said stop making new stuff, not retire. Although live they are also .....
    Metallica I love RTL, MOP and AJFA. KEA is OK and even the Black album and Load have some good tunes. But since then, it has been a crap shoot
    Ditto Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer etc
    Metal is not something you can do part-time and half-hearted.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'm not as fanboy as you think I am. :lol: I hate St. Anger and laugh at people here who love it, as well as people who think Death Magnetic is good and think the production is fine. Death Magnetic sounds like 4 old guys trying to imitate classic Metallica. This sounds like Metallica actually trying to write a solid song.

I'm just a fan of music. This is a good song, in my opinion. It's one of the best things they've done since 1989.

15. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

FTFY

16. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

quick bedroom warrior kids! Make sure your the first one to do a guitar cover and post it on YouTube so you can be Kewl!

:wallbash: :noplease: :lol:

17. abeigor

abeigor SS.org Regular

Into this and not ashamed.

Chorus has a really familiar sound to it, but I can't put my finger on what I'm thinking of.

18. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

IIRC, Kirk has been having problems with carpal tunnel syndrome in his hands since at least around the time of Death Magnetic, so that probably explains his drop off.

19. AmoryB

AmoryB Blackout!

This song is pretty sweet for it being a Metallica release, as a big fan in my younger years I will always listen to whatever they come out with even if it's just out of curiosity. Still don't get the hate from certain people, if you don't like it don't listen to it and don't go out of your way to whine about it

20. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Someone needs to take the Diezel VH4 away from James... his tone can't get much muddier, darker, and less defined. Het needs to go back to a Mesa Mark IIC+. Now!