Second Hand Market Prices Drastically Up

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Edika, Jan 4, 2020.

1. 5dollarbrownie

5dollarbrownie SS.org Regular

You ain’t wrong about used pups, especially dimarzios. I almost always buy used pickups and I remember paying around $30 or so for decently used and now usually about $60 for pups with 4 inches of lead missing. Pickups buyers have become just as name conscious as everything else and I feel like some players aren’t concerned with the sound, just the name. Seriously, I see practically destroyed liquifires and nazguls going for nearly new cost. It’s even worse for Bareknuckles and similar boutique brands.

GRUNTKOR and Edika like this.
  2. 5dollarbrownie

5dollarbrownie SS.org Regular

I kinda like it. I don’t think it’s an actual 7620 but at least he’s trying

3. synapsistheory

synapsistheory Jackson USA all day

Used Jackson USA prices are up because new ones are backordered 6-12 months...not too mention, high quality guitars are NOT cars...just because you buy a new one doesn’t make it automatically depreciate in value by half like so many think they should.

cardinal likes this.
  4. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

they don't depreciate over time like a car but they depreciate way more as soon as you buy it, with very few exceptions, you will have a hard time selling a mint guitar for 2/3 of its new price

Merrekof likes this.
  5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Where does that happen? That is the "good deal" category to most as far as I know. Sure right after christmas it will sit, but if theres a market for the guitar and its 60% of new and mint? Shouldnt last long.

sirbuh likes this.
  6. synapsistheory

synapsistheory Jackson USA all day

I buy/sell guitars all the time. Yes, you can make 2/3 and more if you’re buying/selling the right guitars. You obviously don’t understand investments. Certain guitars are investments and go UP in value over time. Look at 1950’s Les Pauls for example...they sell for WAY more now days than they sold for brand new in the 50’s. If you beat them up, of course they depreciate. They’re beat up. I buy quality used guitars for investments and make thousands upon thousands of dollars doing so...and that’s not even my full time job. But why would I share my knowledge of how I do it with you and the public? Then I’d be losing out on tons of money.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't think anyone here is talking about "investment instruments", those would likely fall into the "exception" that he's talking about.

Ordacleaphobia, XPT707FX and Merrekof like this.
  8. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Investment instruments don't exist, you got a deal and you managed to sell it to someone for more. That's pure luck, acting like it's some kind of investment strategy where you track general public opinion of certain brands and specs in an effort to upsell what's popular is hilariously fickle.

I also think some of you guys take this thing way too seriously/personally, it's not rude to ask for the bottom dollar price a seller has even in the case where there is no "offer" button on Reverb/eBay. If I get ignored I move on, but the truth is in the last 8 years no one has ever ignored me. If they are flexible on price they offer what they find is a comfortable middle ground that they're fine with selling the guitar at, and not really a lowball which I will either accept or decline if it wasn't within the range of what I wanted to spend.

Saying "firm" effectively cuts off your potential sales because you didn't want to come down a bit on your price to make that sale. Even if you are firm, leave offers open or mention OBO and hear everyone out, most people will either offer me a lowball/trade offer that I don't want and I can vet those and just respond with, "Appreciate the offer, I'll have to pass". You either get a counter offer, or a cordial "No problem, good luck with your sale".

On the topic of used prices going up, of course. EBMM has tanked hard, BC Rich/Jackson has taken a bump due to scarcity (Good luck finding a well specced clean Ironbird/WR1), Mayones got over saturated but have maintained a 2500 - 3k range for well spec'd guitars while their new prices are in the 4 - 5k range. There's several reasons why the used market shifts.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  9. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

Yes rare guitars can go up in value, obviously. Yes you make money flipping guitars, which you can't on 99% of used instruments on the market. Yes almost everyone who buys new then sells it will lose 1/3 or more of it's new price.

Congrats you're some sort of pro at flipping guitars somehow making a ridiculous thousands upon thousands, which is somehow comparable to real investing skills and considered top secret.

GRUNTKOR, Ordacleaphobia and Merrekof like this.
  10. GRUNTKOR

GRUNTKOR - GRANKOR

Cool story breh

Merrekof and Seabeast2000 like this.
  11. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

There's a trick, give them your closest cross street / intersection instead of a house number

Edika likes this.
  12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Wow a whole thousands upon thousands.

Man, no one is arguing that you can't make some money flipping guitars. But most people understand that once you figure in opportunity costs it's comparatively one of the worst things you can actually do.

Even if you owned every surviving 50s les paul...It would have taken you 70 years to make what less then 2 mil?

That's terrible.

efiltsohg, budda and Merrekof like this.
  13. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

I wonder if Les Pauls and Fenders are going to be worth so much after the boomers die, is there a market for them other than aging dad-rockers? I don't know what the kids are into these days.

efiltsohg likes this.
  14. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

"VINTAGE schecter diamond series w/ 2 lbs fauxbaloney binding"

XPT707FX, Edika, iamaom and 5 others like this.
  15. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Vintage Misha Mansoor CLASSIC Jackson signature guitar 2020 - 40 years old! MINT CONDITION, NEVER PLAYED

Edika and iamaom like this.
  16. MaxOfMetal

Gen X-ers and even Millenials seem to have no problem feeding the beast.

It's easy to forget that those two groups are getting well into both their 40's and 50's.

XPT707FX and budda like this.
  17. dreamspace

dreamspace SS.org Regular

Fenders are very popular today among young guitarists, funk / neo-soul / etc. is very hot right now, and I swear 95% of those guitarists just play on plain / stock Fender strats.

Adieu likes this.
  18. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I actually disagree, I don't think there's a market for collectible/vintage products in our generations. Considering the rate and expense we pay for pretty basic stuff that's been "modernized" with a slick Kickstarter campaign, I think that'll be a better money rake than anything in the former category.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-shower?ref=section-homepage-featured-project
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...epage-projectcollection-4-staff-picks-popular
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-thin-minimalist-wallet?ref=discovery_popular
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e-projectcollection-4-staff-picks-ending-soon

You seriously can't make this shit up, $190 custom tailored designer Jeans made to your dimensions (Where you do all the work yourself :lol:) But buy now! Discounted for you early suckers at less than half price!! I'll take bets on how high their pledge amount will be by the end of their countdown.

c7spheres likes this.
  19. MaxOfMetal

You can disagree on principle, but real world says otherwise.

20. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i have been getting amazing deals lately on used gear. amps, guitars, pickups.

i waited too long on a few 4x12s that were really cheap.

it seems like the stuff listed too high will sit but the good deals go pretty fast.