Second Hand Market Prices Drastically Up

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Edika, Jan 4, 2020.

1. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

good thing you aren't a flipper :lol:

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  2. Heroooh

Heroooh Deer Napkin

Thats one hell of a deal! :fever:

3. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

reasons to low ball:
    stupid high asking price, but you want it
    item has been sitting for months
    if you have no interest in keeping it but its a great deal so its basically free $$$

I hate lowballs as a seller but people do it to me all the time so I don't really feel bad for giving back

good deals are rare these days with sellers inflating used prices

sell for 90% of new price
    mediocre condition - lists as mint
    500 in pickup and random upgrades - adds 500 to the price even though the upgrades make minimal difference

4. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

Indeed. My comments was for listings where seller is wiling to accept lower price.

5. Nicki

Nicki Twit

Lol... when Canadians argue.

I always list my items as having a firm price and I'm not one of those people who's looking to screw someone over so the prices I list at are very fair. Like I said, it's usually 60%-70% of retail. If my items sit for a while, that's fine. I just wait for the right buyer. It just gets really annoying when people ignore the fact that the price is firm.

6. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

And 50% of the time, it will be ignored. This is the way. :lol:.

I have a strat up for 60% of new in 8.5/10 condition (some corrosion of the saddles) - not even a bite. When I checked kijiji, I saw prices ranging from below what I'm willing to take to what I originally had it listed for. Someone will probably pay more than I'm asking at L&M for their used one (same series and model) just because it's at a store.

I think the variance of 60-80% of new cost depends on what the item is. Seeing a '94 MIM for $100 less than my 2018 MIM grinds my gears a little :lol:

7. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

c7spheres likes this.
  8. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I love used markets, they're like a soap opera with guitars. I often see rediculous listings. For example, here in Belgium are 4 RG1570 prestiges in pretty good condition ranging between 450-680€...and then there's an Ibanez premium 7 string for 900€. :scratch:

And a Boss katana head mkI for 340€. New prices are 299€. To be fair, he dropped his asking price to 280€ a day later.

I always ask something off the prices and if the seller doesn't, well okay. No more wasting time then. Either I agree or move on. It's like someone said here before. People assume that so they start a bit higher.
    And the steals! I had a couple, I'd basically called the seller the same day and say "deal, when can I come and get it"

9. 777timesgod

777timesgod Officially the unofficial Forum Censor

There are amazing deals but if you blink you missed them. I saw a Mayones Duvell sometime ago for 1000 Euro with great features and a case in what seemd like mint condition. It was posted and sold within less than 3 hours. There are too many browsing online nowadays so a great price is eaten up quickly. All the tablets/cell phones/laptops on constant search mode will do that.
    I agree that it was easier to get a bargain in the past. I found a list of bargains I had made and forgotten years ago. Most of those guitars stayed online for a hell of a lot more of what they would last for today.

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Chicago used market is fire. Within the past year I've seen:

-Japanese Jackson for $180
    -Gibson LPJr. for $150 (that one sold instantly. It was right down the street from my office and I asked literally like 30 min after it was posted and it was already pending)
    -LTD Slimer for $200 right now. Nice looking Ebony board, MiK LTD, EMG, cool paint job. I don't listen to PtV but I still am tempted... If it weren't for the EMG lol
    -Japanese Ibby last year was I think was only 200
    -5150III for 300
    -Peavey Triumph 60 PAG for $150
    -Peavey USA guitar for 99$ (looked a little rough but still)
    -Dunable Yeti I think it was only like $7-800. It wasn't 1000.

Just two years ago I grabbed my Sunn Beta Bass with the footswitch and all the knobs for only 650$... that's a lot more than people paid 10 years prior, but you can't even find one for sale these days under $800. When I was on Reverb the other day some were $1000.

Not trying to tell you guys that you're wrong or anything like that... I guess just bragging a little bit :lol:

11. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

TBH I have a couple of high end guitars I wouldn't mind moving on. I don't get on with them and fancy something else. But I know that I'd be asking for (and likely get) about £1200-1800 for them each.

It just rubs me wrong that some moron can buy it, you ship it, and then he go through some paypal to scam the cash back off you and you're out the guitar too. I've heard of this way too much lately and frankly I'm put off of selling by it.

12. dreamspace

dreamspace SS.org Regular

I've been buying gear for over 20 years, and obsessively so for the past 15.

The truth is, prices had been stagnant for far too long. 20 years ago, you could find a used USA standard strat for around $500. Today, you can find one for what, $800? With inflation, the prices aren't too different.

Some guitars have gotten more expensive after the internet hype-train took off.

EBMM used to be very affordable just 10 years ago, but then the Petrucci fanboys and prog-metal players started jacking up prices all over. 10-15 years ago I bought 3 different EBMM JP guitars, cheapest I got for $400, the most expensive cost me $800. Silo would go for $500-$600, and were excellent alternatives for strats...today those prices have doubled.

Carvin, too. They used to be extremely affordable, to the point that people didn't want to purchase brand new ones, because of their infamously poor resale value.

Then Kiesel became a thing, along with their hard-core marketing on the SoMe, and prices practically doubled overnight.

Same with Charvel. You could find used MIJ Charvels for $100-$300 all day long, and American made for just under a grand. Original vintage San Dimas for a bit more. These days you get some imported (but nice) Charvel for just under a grand.

But, there are some good sleepers out there. Used Peavey guitars are hard to beat, and can be found very cheap.

Flappydoodle and Edika like this.
  13. fcv

fcv SS.org Regular

The people who annoy me the most are the people offering to trade Gretches for your stuff when you list stuff to sell. I don't know why Gretches, but it's almost always Gretches they're offering. Really I don't want to trade at all, the chances of them wanting to get rid of something I want is minuscule, that's why we have money.

The people asking for lowest price are next on the list, guaranteed ignore, never respond to them. I listed a price, and since I only list stuff on craigslist so I don't have to worry about people trying to chargeback scam me, I know I'm dealing with a more limited audience so my stuff is almost always cheaper than any reverb or ebay listings available. I might consider offers within 10%, but pushing harder than that is just going to get ignored as well.

14. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Because Gretches are both popular and one of the most copied brands out there. Gretch and Gibson copies are rife

fcv likes this.
  15. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

I'll never react on a listing I don't want, I don't want to waste his and my time. I'll still ask for a lower price though (unless the price is already on the low side)
    This is just how the game works, if you like it or not.

I see this here in Belgium too. Suddenly a lot Charvels and Kramers are popping up. 80's style superstrats are hot these days on the used market it seems.
    And trading is almost never an option, it never ends in a draw in terms of value. Unless it is something I really want, I'm prepared to take a loss but how often does that happen?

Edika likes this.
  16. dreamspace

dreamspace SS.org Regular

Also, if you want good deals - look local.

It's pretty rare to find good deals on huge classifieds sites (ebay, reverb, etc.), because they get snagged up the moment they hit the market.

Then comes forums and more local classifieds (CL, Facebook)

And lastly, it's the word-by-mouth local sales.

In the past 5 years, every fantastic deal I've made have been local; mostly through facebook. Some examples:

- ESP made Kramer Stagemaster (identical to those red Horizons from the 80s/90s) for $200

- Free Fender MIJ Strat from '84 (owner was gonna throw it away)

- A bunch of 80s/90s Ibanez RG5x0 in the $150-$300 range

- Scalloped Fender MIJ Strat from '87, $250

- 79 Marshall JMP 2203 + home-made 2x12 with Celestions from 69 and 71, $350

- A metric ton of Ibanez and Boss pedals for $10-$20

etc.

Adieu likes this.
  17. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

18. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

It just seems like a lot of prospective buyers want to negotiate regardless of posted price, so adding a couple bucks to the price up front that will invariably be conceded is a good strategy for sellers looking to stay near top dollar. Me, I just want to get rid of shit when I sell.

c7spheres and Merrekof like this.
  19. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Yeah I put a set of SD JB/59 up on Reverb recently for 110 in basically new condition and they legit solid in 14 minutes. I don't mind sacrificing a few bucks if it means I get money I didn't have before for a thing I wasn't using

20. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

With the price of new gear going up, some used gear is still under valued IMHO. A new Ibanez RG752 is around $1500 USD. For years, the 7620 was selling for around $400, but the build quality is the same. Sure, there's some wear and tear over the years, but that's a huge price gap.

For a while the Peavey 5150s and 5150 IIs were just a few hundred bucks, but those have been used on countless big-time albums and world tours and whatever else. They are awesome amps that sound every bit as good as the newer iterations that sell for much more. Prices have been creeping up, and it doesn't surprise me.

And at the high end of the market, there are only a limited number of original IIC+ amps, particularly with the GEQ and big power sections that people want. The recent asking prices on those amps have some folks up in arms, but it doesn't take much to find brand new amps selling for nearly $4k USD, and you can order as many of those as you want from Guitar Center, there will be yet another new shiny amp next year for $4k too, and none of them will have near the historic reputation as an actual IIC+ (for example, insert plenty of other amps, like the now-discontinued SLO with the DeYoung transformers). It just isn't surprising to see the values of these types of amps skyrocket to keep up.