SD YJM Fury pickups experience?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by possumkiller, Jul 12, 2020.

1. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Anyone have experience with these and could possibly chime in? I have long been looking for a way to hotrod my Strat without altering the stock appearance. I wanted some super high output pickups that I could do metal riffing with that will fit in the single coil holes and look like a single coil. The SD mini humbuckers like the JB JR or Hot Rails would not fit inside a regular 6 hole pickup cover. I had been thinking about the BKP Sinners but people say they not only amplify the output but the noise as well. I happened to check the specs of the SD YJM Fury pickups and it says the DCR is something like 25k for the bridge. That seems quite a lot. Would these pickups be doing what I want? Anyone use these pickups and able to get some meaty metal palm mute stuff going? All the demo videos I can find are of course full of neoclassical shredding and not very useful for seeing what people other than Malmsteen can do with the pickups.

2. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Axel Rudi Pell used mainly the same gear as YJM, signature guitar, amps... Maybe check him out to find out something you like.
    Maybe give a call to Rio Grande Pickup, they might have something in stock for you.

3. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

The YJM Fury pickups as any of the Yngwie signature pickups are not precisely high output. That high DCR reading means NOTHING to output: actual output is measured with the inductance, not the resistance.

Said so, the YJM pickups are kind of high DCR because are stacked so, two coils that means twice copper so higher DCR, just that. Yes, 25K is pretty high, I don't know which kind of wire they use for Yngwie's pickups, but the sound is not what you expect from a high output pickup more like a rounded and a bit fuller vintage style single coil actually. That's what he wants anyway.

Better check for the Hot Stack Plus as it has LOADS of mids that will make it sound a lot thicker and meanier for palm mutes if you want to go noiseless but if you don't mind the hum (hence thinking about the BKP Sinners, btw, you should check Cobras) then take a look at the DiMarzio SDS-1... I think even Yngwie used this before going signature and I think Jake E Lee too.

But I would go BKP Sinners or Cobra all the time if I were you...

possumkiller likes this.
  4. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

I was thinking about sinners and a dummy coil in the control cavity to kill the hum.

Zhysick likes this.
  5. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Maybe a set of Dimarzio Injector?

TheUnvanquished and possumkiller like this.
  6. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

Sounds like the same experience I had researching Metal Strat pickups. Nice to know some things still haven't changed.

I got some good mileage out of a Dimarzio Virtual Solo in the bridge way back. Turn your gain knob up a tick, and it'll handle palm mutes as well as a humbucker. And there's no hum. Really a lot of Dimarzio's offerings will be great for Metal. Since dr_game0ver brought him up, definitely check out Axel Rudi Pell for a non-neoclassical demo of the HS3's.

possumkiller likes this.
  7. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

These came stock with my Malmsteen inspired Vintage Plus. Obviously they didn't sound like a humbucker. Palm mutes sounded really bad, I can't exactly remember why but it sounded off. Tried the bridge and bridge+middle position.

Leads on the neck and neck+middle were decent but a bit metallic clanky? Must be the single coil quality Malmsteen likes in his guitars. Then again, my amp is tweaked for humbucker sounds so YMMV. I swapped them out after a week. I have accepted the fact that I will never like the 4 and 2 positions in this guitar. Mainly use it for clean sounds now.

Richter and possumkiller like this.
  8. Richter

Richter SS.org Regular

Same here. They were ok on my Vintage Plus SC but I remember enjoying the DM more. The SD sounded more trebly to my ears and felt higher output.

9. TheUnvanquished

TheUnvanquished SS.org Regular

Pablo Gilberto!

10. redkombat

redkombat Tree Whore

i used to run hot rails in bridge and yjm neck and middle. i liked the yjm a lot and they work well but for palm mutes its kinda humbucker or bust for me.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Single coils sound fucking killer for single notes and chords.

Palm mutes sound like absolute ass though.

Zhysick, redkombat and Supernaut like this.
  12. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

Yep ^ this is fact - although telecasters can get a thicker, somewhat acceptable palm muting chug, Strats just don't.

What I would do - put in some ridiculously hot single-coil pickups and just learn to love the hum. It's rock and roll as fuck and you don't notice unless you stop. Don't stop playing = problem solved, that's what Yngwie does anyway.

Zhysick and redkombat like this.
  13. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I had the full Dimarzio YJM set...lowest output pickups I've ever played.
    Don't know how the SD's compare.

I've owned or tried just about every Dimarzio single/hum cancelling p/u they make.
    The old "Virtual" and the new "Area" series are fantastic.
    But I gotta say, their blade style pickups can be great also.
    I love my Cruiser set. But I'm into lower output/vintage tones.

The Tone Zone S and Super Distortion S get a lot of love for chunky palm mutes.
    The Chopper falls in between a traditional SC & bucker.

If you can deal with the SC noise...SD SSL5 or 6 is as good as it gets. Amazing.
    Thick, chunky, lots of harmonics, but still sounds like a SC.

14. JMT

JMT SS.org Regular

Maybe the Vitual Solo DP-420 would do the job ?