SD Sentient 7 alternatives

MrWulf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Long story short, I hate SD Sentient 7 with a passion because I think it is wimpy of a pickup and doesn't work as good as the neck pickup to pair with Nazgul. Any other neck pickup with similar tone profile but with more oomph?

LeoLmX

I like turtles.
Reaction score
What would be the options for fluid liquidy lead Petrucci style lines on a neck pickup for Seymour Duncan? I can't think of any option.

My Duvell Elite 7 comes stock with the Nazgul/Sentient combo, I learned to love the Sentient because Sithu Aye can make them amazing. The problem for me is the Nazgul, it's voicing just does not work in the mid/low gain tones, just for metal.

lewis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want a pickup that gives always 100% at all times - go active.

Ive got dual EMG 81s in one axe that sound fantastic..amazing solo neck pickup

And fishman moderns in another. Neck pickup on those is also very liquidy and powerful. Especially voice 2

Desolate1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Black Winter neck pick-up is a great neck pick-up. Equally good at cleans and liquid lead tones. I despised the one Sentient that came in one of my guitars. Dull and lifeless is the only way I can describe it.

Nicki

Twit
Reaction score
Try the a Duality. It's slightly hotter than the Sentient with a smidge more mids and more treble.

Otherwise, JB.

vick1000

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Crazy I know, but Distortion Neck, is the way to go. Or the Black Winter.

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Black Winter neck is really nice.

Or you can put a Dimarzio Liquifire in there, or an Air Norton. Both of those are very fluid lead pickups that pair well with a Nazgul in the bridge; I’ve tried/own both. Currently have an AN/Nazgul in my V, and it slays.

The Black Winter neck is not far behind, but has a touch of grit on leads, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I prefer its cleans to the others.