SD Black Winter Worship thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Blytheryn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Black Winter forgives.

Edika, Blytheryn and bloodocean like this.
  2. død

død SS.org Regular

Installed one in the bridge of my ‘95 M-II, replacing the JB that’s been in there since it left the factory. Got to test it out during rehearsals earlier today, immediatly worked out better than the JB for what my band is doing (mathy metalcore in drop A#). Overall I didn’t mind the JB, but the spikey midrange and loose low end started to get on my nerves, luckily the BW addresses both of those issues. I need to play with pickup height a little bit more, but I’m a pretty happy camper so far.

3. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

I was unexcite with the bw7 I had but had only used in a few 5153 amps. Have since tried it on the mk3 generator red channel and it's one of my favorite tones. Just saying I have been educated.

4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

No, it does not. :mf666:

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  5. Neon_Knight_

Neon_Knight_ SS.org Regular

Sorry if this has already been covered, but how different do the "Blackened" Black Winters sound?

6. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

They don’t, it’s the same pickup with cosmetic changes.

I have regulars in my RGA121 and a blackened version in one of my baritones, same pickup.

7. Neon_Knight_

Different pole pieces (double hex screws vs. slugs & fillister screws) is more than a cosmetic change. I would expect tighter bass and sharper pick attack. It's possible that they've done something else to balance that out though.

8. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Haven’t noticed any differences sound wise, but hey fuck it, they’re different guitars. Haven’t had to change any settings tho? Maybe I’m super wrong, I’m which case hey, apologies man.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

it's a very minimal sound change tbh. I've had both versions side by side.

Neon_Knight_ likes this.
  10. død

død SS.org Regular

Does anyone else use the BW in an H/S guitar? I’m looking to change out the neck pickup on my M-II, and need some recommendations for a single coil that’s not gonna be drastically lower in volume compared to the BW.

I generally only use the neck pickup for dirty cleans and washy ambient stuff, so pristine cleans aren’t really a concern of mine.

11. STRHelvete

STRHelvete

Maybe a BW in the neck split or in parallel?

12. Neon_Knight_

I'd probably go for a stacked humbucker to balance out the output.

13. bigsimpin

bigsimpin SS.org Regular

How did you know which wire was bad? My new BW set has been underwhelming, not sounding as hot or aggressive as my other guitars (like you describe), which I suspect might be due to my soldering.

14. STRHelvete

STRHelvete

I didn't. My tech did. I've had those pickups in for a while and the only way I realized it was an issue and not just the pickups sound is it suddenly started sounded great sometimes, then back to shitty other times. I told him and he fixed it after pointing out that it sounded like a wire issue.

bigsimpin likes this.
  15. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

More Scandinavian, obviously.....

:kd:

16. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

I think the Duncan Parallel Axis Stacks match well with the BW. I did it for my version of Artic Metal, my '92 Soloist HSS. They are also bright and clear, and look uber-cool together also...

And referring to another post above, wiring absolutely makes all the difference, as do quality pots. I have the same Parallel stacks in another Charvel, but the guitar has been devoid of sizzle. Took it to another shop and they said it was wired totally wrong, so they improved output, but still not the sizzle the guitar had before. The only reason I had the guitar in was because the original JE-1200 midboost died, so I had them replace it with an EMG SPC, which is apparently very challenging some low level techs. My next step will be to install a no load tone control for max treble, just the way I like it....

17. død

død SS.org Regular

If I was looking for a humbucker, that’d be a safe bet, but this guitar has a single coil neck pickup, unfortunately.

I’ve been looking into the SD STK-s6, on paper they seem to be what I’m after. I’m curious what a medium-hot output single coil would sound like, tho.
    These seem super cool as well, I’ve looked at them previously, but it seems like they’re out of production.