SD Black Winter Worship thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Blytheryn, Jul 28, 2016.

1. slavboi_delight

slavboi_delight SS.org Regular

I hear you. I'm trying to avoid having another pickup with a boosted high end. I'd rather look for something thicker without sounding too boxy in the midrange.
    Less nasal is good though, for a change atleast.

2. evade

evade enthusiast

These are awesome, I have them in my edwards.

3. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

Are we talking about pickups or booze here?

4. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I mean they’re great qualities for both

5. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

BW.jpg I have finally joined the Black Winter Club!

Partially inspired by stalking this thread and others. I was happy with the stock Jackson pickups in my '92 Soloist Pro MIJ for years as they do have their charms for '80s riffs and especially leads, but I couldn't help noticing how great my other guitars sounded with various upgrades, so it was the A/B testing that finally drove me to do it. This Soloist was already one of my favorites, and only climbed even higher after getting this upgrade. Here's the low down:

Maple Neck Thru
    Poplar Wings
    Ebony Board with recent Dunlop 6100 refret
    Black Winter Bridge
    Duncan Parallel Axis Classic Stacks
    32mm Titanium FAT block
    Raw Vintage Springs (5)
    Jackson JE-1200 active mid boost

[​IMG]

Honestly, the Jackson J80C lead tone was already fantastic, but the rhythm tone lacked some of the razor edge and clarity I needed for thrashy playing, so that was the biggest benefit of the Black Winter. The titanium block also brings out the highs---trust me when I say this thing CUTS!! Scarifying....

I agree with some earlier comments that the BW is like a modern lean, mean upgrade of the Distortion, as is the Bare Knuckle Nailbomb (C) I have in my Charvel USA Model I. The Black Winter cleans up better than the Distortion and makes a very nice #2 clean sound possible in my Soloist, which is rare for older high output pickups. It's tough to choose overall between the BW and Nailbomb, but the Nailbomb is nearly twice as expensive, so that makes the default easy for most guitars.

I chose the Parallel Axis stacks because I dig 'em, but also because the lead wires exit from the side of the pickup rather than the middle, thereby making them much easier to fit in the old narrow routes for early '90s and older Soloists without modification. Like the Black Winter, they have a rather modern, hi-fi sound and match very well for a sophisticated package. :cheers:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021 at 8:28 PM
  6. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

That's awesome, those Parallel Axis stacks look great alongside the Black Winter in that guitar!

7. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Man, when I put Black Winters in my Alder Soloist, it was too bright. I chose BWs instead of Distortions since Distortions are supposed to be brighter. But nah, still too spikey.

Glad, it worked out for you.

8. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

The think the BW bridge is leaner and brighter than the Distortion bridge. I already have the Distortion set in two other Soloists, so I wanted something different for this one! The BW has its own character.