SD Black Winter Worship thread

sonoftheoldnorth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Black Winter thread back for 2021 ha.

How do black winters suit a super bright guitar? ash body wenge neck guitar. I'm having troubles with too much high end and midrange snappiness. Something I never thought possible.

KnightBrolaire

meet me in the pit
Reaction score

How do black winters suit a super bright guitar? ash body wenge neck guitar. I'm having troubles with too much high end and midrange snappiness. Something I never thought possible.
they work better in less bright guitars ime. I had the black winter in a very bright limba/maple dc600 and the high end was kind of overbearing til I did the alnico 5 mag swap.

GustavoGP

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Schecter KM-6 MKI has them (swamp ash body) and to my ears they sound phenomenal. This is a very good example of how they sound

Reaction score
So after having the BWs for a while in a guitar of mine.

I have two guitars of the same type. One came with some sort of odd EMG looking stock pickups. The other came with normal Dean Time Capsule pickups as stock.

I replaced the odd EMG looking pickups in one guitar because they were a little too dry and had a roundness to the low end I wanted to get rid of. The funny thing is when I go back and listen to music I did with the old pickups it sounds fine in a mix. Isolated the BWs sound better but in a mix no one is likely to notice or care.

Do I regret the pickup swap? No. There's no amazing night and day difference but the BWs did what I wanted them to do.

Will I be replacing the stock pickups in my other guitar with them? No. Honestly I like the Dean Time Capsule pickups a bit more. They would have been a cheaper alternative to the BWs but the BWs offer something a little different and when layering guitars for music that sort of thing matters.

All in all they aren't bad pickups. Will I replace all my pickups with them? No. Am I in love with them? No. Are they good pickups? Yes.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Recommend me a neck pickup to pair a BW with. Preferably Duncan since they're tried and true and I can get good deals on brand new ones and 2nd hand market always has some.
guitar is a shreddy FR with alder body, maple neck and ebony board (ESP LTD Elite M-II). My other BW equipped is a single pickup guitar. SD jazz is a middle ground choice but I have had so many. I have owned Jazz, 59, Seth Lover. Not sure if I should go with a high output one or choose something that cleans up well. Don't really use neck pickups on shreddy guitars but I want to put something.

Kovah

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Recommend me a neck pickup to pair a BW with. Preferably Duncan since they're tried and true and I can get good deals on brand new ones and 2nd hand market always has some.
guitar is a shreddy FR with alder body, maple neck and ebony board (ESP LTD Elite M-II). My other BW equipped is a single pickup guitar. SD jazz is a middle ground choice but I have had so many. I have owned Jazz, 59, Seth Lover. Not sure if I should go with a high output one or choose something that cleans up well. Don't really use neck pickups on shreddy guitars but I want to put something.

A Black Winter?

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score

+1 on the BW neck. It’s actually really versatile and does great cleans.

KnightBrolaire

meet me in the pit
Reaction score
Personally I prefer the 59 neck over just about every other duncan neck pickup. I'd go that route. It has great cleans, works well for shreddy leads and has good enough output to keep up with a black winter. Alnico II pro could work too but I think the 59 is smoother and more forgiving tbh.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score

+1 for a neck winter.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score
Thx, I guess whole BW set it is then =).

Edika

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I will agree with @KnightBrolaire about the Duncan 59 neck. Great and full cleans but can get mean and dirty. One of the best neck pickups I've tried. But the Black Winter neck is really nice too.

From what I've experienced the Black Winters do emphasize the guitar sound, bright guitars will stillnsound bright, maybe a bit too harsh, and darker guitars might end up being more bassy, but quite clear at the same time. You do get the Black Winter character but it won't remove the high end much. I had the opportunity to try the Black Winter and the Distortion in the same bright guitar and felt the Distortion did a better job at taming high frequencies, even if the low end is a bit more pronounced.

Otherwise you can try a Dimarzio Tonezone, great for bright guitars.

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I will agree with @KnightBrolaire about the Duncan 59 neck. Great and full cleans but can get mean and dirty. One of the best neck pickups I've tried. But the Black Winter neck is really nice too.

From what I've experienced the Black Winters do emphasize the guitar sound, bright guitars will stillnsound bright, maybe a bit too harsh, and darker guitars might end up being more bassy, but quite clear at the same time. You do get the Black Winter character but it won't remove the high end much. I had the opportunity to try the Black Winter and the Distortion in the same bright guitar and felt the Distortion did a better job at taming high frequencies, even if the low end is a bit more pronounced.

Otherwise you can try a Dimarzio Tonezone, great for bright guitars.

Agree. I have a BW in an ESP Horizon NT. Quite a dark sounding guitar overall, and the BW makes it very punchy and quite a lot of bright high end. I can imagine it being too much in a brighter sounding guitar.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score

What is this "neck pickup" you talk about? You only need 1 pickup son.

Mourguitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I put the BW in my franken Strat , Charvel model 1a basswood w/ maple neck/fretboard its not overly bright at all..i have it in drop C with 56-10 strings...man it love's the Archon with V30's in that mesa cab

The tone finder recommended it from SD...it sounds great...was looking for a DD to put in there...but had the BW laying around

Also have it in my SL2 jackson ....popular with maple neck thru...its not leaving from there , took a TB-5 out

I might get the neck BW for the soloist ..i seen a vid of a Custom Shop SL2 with BW's , sounded righteous

I think Lassie had a vid with a BW in a ESP that was alder or ash..that sounded great, if the BW had a baseplate like a Dimarzio i wouldn't think twice about putting one in my san dimas 95 Charvel that is alder..but it 's routed for the Dimarzio's ...have a Dominion in there now ...thats staying in there..its awesome

I didn't care for the BW in a Les Paul or my Dean USA 02 hardtail..that was mahogany / Ebony...i like the TB-5 in there , but everybody has a certain tone they are after...the BW 's suite me in guitars other than the Darker woods it seems...go figure

Mike

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Finally getting around to putting the one and only fitting pickup into my mahogany body/mahogany necked Daemoness Chronicler. Pickup should be here by the end of the week and quite frankly a little afraid of how great it will sound.

IMG_1541-1024x683.jpg

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
How’s it sound? Good fit for that guitar?

It’s an amazing fit. I can try and record something later. This guitar has a mahogany body/neck which is like perfect territory for the black winter imo. Highs are perfect, mids grind like a mother... and the palm mutes chug and bloom nicely. I forgot how much I loved this pickup. It always seems like there’s a certain “gross” filter over everything.

Reaction score
So I've had the BW for a while, tried it in various ways, tracked with it for all sorts of things, etc.

It's not a bad pickup but it is rather modern sounding..too modern sounding. I have another guitar with Dean Time Capsule pickups in it and I really like that pickup. It's big, uncompressed, aggressive..and I've come to really like it. If I'd had more experience with the Dean pickup before I got the BW, I probably would have just gotten another one of those instead of the BW.

At this point I'm keeping the BW because I don't want to bother swapping out pickups, it's not bad just not amazing, it offers some tonal variety and when I layer both guitars it sounds great. I'd say the BW is a knife, cutting, narrow and precise. The Dean is like a hammer, it just smashes and fucks shit up. The mix of both does well.

Are the BWs bad? Nah. Are they great? Nah. Worth the money? Depends on if you like that sound or not. I don't regret buying them but I won't be putting them in anything else I have.