School me on the Mesa Dual "Racktifier"

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by viifox, May 31, 2019.

1. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

The multi watt sounds better than the rack?

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It depends on if you prefer a brighter, tighter sound (Multi) or darker, looser sound (Rack).

viifox and Wizard of Ozz like this.
  3. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

To me... yep. As HHTJH posted above... it depends what you are after. But for vintage Rectoz... Rev C Dual and Rev F Triple are where it’s at. I own several of each... in addition to the newer MW. So it depends on the sound you are after. But a good Recto with a boost kills it. Time after time.

Anyone paying $1500+ for a Rev G Rackto... just because it’s a Rackto is getting the short end of the stick. Find a good condition Rev F Dual or Triple. Unless they really just want one for their touring rack maybe?

viifox likes this.
  4. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Makes sense. Thanks.

Another recto question. I've owned the multi watt, and loved it (even though it was a bitch to dial in at times), especially after putting in the metal kit from Doug's in it. With that being said, do you have any experience with the "Rock" kit? I'm just wondering if it smooths things out even more than the Metal kit.

5. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Never tried it. I do hate with a passion JJ preamp tubes in general. So I avoid them. Tung-Sol and Ruby 12AX7C5HG+ are solid choices. I have a lot of amps so I buy my tubes direct from China in bulk and test and select them myself... to much higher tolerances for noise, gain, and transconductance... which none of the “usual suspects” of tube dealers here in the US do. These also sound great in Mesas:
    http://www.dougstubes.com/nos-chinese-12ax7-80-s-90-s.html

viifox likes this.
  6. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Got a chance to play it today. Man, what a great sounding recto! It was easily the tightest recto I've ever played. I couldn't believe it. It also had that punch that rectos are known for, but this one sounded meaner. The only thing i didn't like was the inherent fizz, but i guess that's part of the recto charm.

Overall, i still think i like the multi watt more, even though i don't think it's as aggressive.

7. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, I think there's just a fizz to the Recto tone. I only really notice it if I'm obsessing over dialing in the tone. If I just play the thing, it doesn't bother me, and pretty sure that once the cymbals are crashing around no one could really pick up on it.

viifox likes this.