School me on the less popular Peavey amps (Windsor/XXX/Ultra)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Jun 5, 2019.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Every now and then I miss my JSX..but not enough to get another.

For the record those are great amps and I preferred them to the XXX I once had and to the 6505..but ah well.

2. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I had the JSX. Loved it since it is a bit scooped and has that big snarl that compliments my 6505. Had to sell it since I gravitated towards 5150 type sounds anyway.

But I kept the JSX cab. The speakers sound aggressive, they cut through the mix, and it doesnt sound like your typical Peavey speaker that tries to copy a Celestion. Maybe it is a copy of a Celestion but it has its own unique voice that I found works for my solid state power amp and modeling rig. And those speakers have huge power. 100 watts a piece! I'd go deaf before my Matrix can blow those cones off.

3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Damn this thread...... lol

Yesterday I ran across a pretty decent condition Triple XXX for a decent price, so I had to grab it.... now I have another 100W tube head. :lol:

Have it taken apart, cleaning it up, etc.... I like it because it sounds different than my other tube amps, like a Triple Recto, and JCA100HDM. It is very tight and aggressive. It is not as ball-shaking, but has a nice aggressive bark to it. So far I like it best with a SD-1 in front, and a GE-7 in the loop.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Nah, you have another 120w amp. :D

And yeah, I miss my XXX. I sold it initially because I was a dumbass with cab micing. If I had a chance, I'd grab one again and use an IR loader instead.

5. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Didn’t you once say you had a room full of amps and got rid of most of them to go axe FX? Sounds like now you’ve got the room full of amps back, and the axe FX also.

6. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, pretty much :lol:

I had several amps, like a 5150, Mark III, VHT Deliverance D120, etc... and sold them all when I got my Axe-FX II. I kept my Triple Recto, and I have had a JCM800 based clone I built for years, but it was in pieces at the time. I still have my old Triple Recto, and I found a pretty good mod for the JCM800 and have left it alone for more than a year (extra gain stage, EQ tweaks, depth, etc....). I got the JCA100HDM earlier this year because I have always been curious about them, and now I got this Triple XXX. I moved all my tube amps to the basement on a big metal rack with 4-5 shelves. I keep my Axe/Matrix rig, and my Katana head in my little office room. I also have an Ampeg bass combo in there also, along with way too many pedals.

I actually went to check out the PRS MT-15 and EVH 5150 III 50 W. I was jamming on those back to back (the EL34 5153 is all I could find), because I have been thinking about buying one of those. They both seem to be the amp of the year. Then I ran across this XXX and I thought it sounded pretty good, and was less than 40% of the cost of the others, so I figured why not.

7. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

That's pretty genius

exo likes this.
  8. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

My dad had a Musician in the 80s

From what I remember, the JSX ultra channel was supposed to be the same as XXX crunch channel

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I forgot to update this thread! Here it is!

I took some time to clean up this amp. Soap, water, everything. I found a 12AT7 tube in it, which I thought was weird, so I ordered a few new preamp tubes. In checking the bias and everything I found a few missing parts on the circuit board. After some research, I think someone tried to do a low gain mod on it. They took out some caps, and there was a hack repair in the power supply. I replaced all the missing parts, looked through every other part very well, and cleaned up the hack repair to make it look professional. This with the new preamp tubes (Tung Sol, Ruby, and 12AX7LPS) it sounds even better! Gain levels now match what I read online (keep it about 11 oclock or so, before I had it at 1-2 oclock). I am really loving this amp at the moment, and I am having fun just pulling out random pedals to run through it. It looks and sounds MUCH better than it did a month ago!
    IMG_20190701_140648114 Small.jpg

IMG_20190624_155500908 Small.jpg

10. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Between the UP, XXX, and JSX, I'd take the UP every time.

11. Walter W.

Walter W. SS.org Regular

I'd like to try one of those XXX's. Watched, I believe it was Josh Middleton, playing through one and sounded pretty good. My wife would hate it though because of the curvy cuties on the front.

12. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

you can turn the face plate around really easily. I have mine turned around. I spray painted the back a teal color.

13. Walter W.

Walter W. SS.org Regular

Ah ok, don't know why I didn't think of that

14. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Someone called the Windsor "swamp Marshall". I think that's a perfect description.

15. Walter W.

Walter W. SS.org Regular

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire perpetual tinkerer

Necrobump:
    I picked up a XXX a couple months ago and I've been messing around with it off and on. For the price point I really dig it. Cleans are actually pretty solid, distorted tones are great for thrash/death metal/hair metal riffage. My only real quibble is that the sound is a bit hairier/fizzier on the high end than I normally like, though I'm sure I could chop it out in post-processing if I care.
    some clips:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/sx1wuie8yt3m8tt/ratbucker_PVXXX_br00t1.flac/file
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/1vox1nlojp5arqp/hellfire_PVXXX.flac/file
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/lew5fpi3vveuene/domingerRider_PVxxx_medley1.flac/file

17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, I got one last summer, and it has been the main amp I have been playing for the last few months. I have been loving it a lot. I think the extra scratchy high end is my main complaint also, but I get that because I use the resonance switch on loose, which makes the low end chug, but brings in those highs. A separate presence control would help. I think I keep the highs on like 10 o'clock on the crunch channel. Pretty low.

I have been getting some older Rack Effects Units lately, and it has been a solid platform for testing effects. The clean is even great once your throw some Chorus, Delay, and Reverb on it.

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire perpetual tinkerer

I also keep the resonance switch on loose. As far as highs, I run those at like 11 o'clock on crunch and noon on the ultra channel. Considering you can get these for cheaper than a 5150 or 6505, they're pretty damn good sounding. I haven't really run any effects through it other than some HM2 type pedals.

19. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

with the XXX, turning the volume knob on the gain channel not in use changes the tone of the one you are using, give that a try to tweak it a bit

I run mine on loose damping - crunch channel 24/7, if you need a lead boost then just use the effect loop with nothing in it (if you have a footswitch)

these also love EL34s (I have JJ KT77s right now) and JJ preamp tubes (also try a 5751 in slot 1 or 2)

Attached Files:

20. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Ive wanted to try/own a XXL or XXX for a long time.