School me on the less popular Peavey amps (Windsor/XXX/Ultra)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Jun 5, 2019.

1. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

It's very raw in a way. All 3 channels can be very different. The gain switches are key. I've had it nail the tone of my e530 patch on my gsp1101 on the crunch channel. Ultra without the gain switch is where its at. The sag and bottom end is good for 6 string stuff with an overdrive. Gain switch in ruins that. Anything in tuning lower than C play on the crunch channel. The immediate attack and lack of compression is win here. I actually kinda prefer it in ways over the EVH 50w. The big iron feel. Though I do miss that blue channel. It's not a fancy or pretty amp. I keep going away from it and coming back. It's surgical and raw at the same time depending on the two settings I described. People wanting that 5150 red channel grind play it and "Meh" move on. That's me too at times. According to the previous owner it's been down a flight of stairs. It also sat in a barn for years and I had to take a toothbrush and windex to the tolex when I bought it. It's been serviced once due to the giant 4 pin molex type connector melting down and a resistor in the power section with it.
    It's a crutch amp. Keep it in your stable. It gets things done. Balanced Sovtek LPS in the PI, Mullards for the rest. Email Eurotubes for a warmer burning 6L6 set. This amps is cold.

viifox and Bearitone like this.
  2. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

All peavey amps in the Ultra and 5150 series are cold biased, REALLY cold.

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Tried a Windsor next to a JVM 210H and really did not like the Windsor at all. Pretty bland to be honest.

4. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

That’s pretty much it- it’s a watered down 800 clone from what I’ve heard. I’ve heard they can be modded to sound much closer to the JCM800 circuit among other things, but really the only thing I’ve heard them sound good for stock was lofi punk.

5. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

This whole "the Windsor an 800 on a budget" thing is just flat out incorrect. That circuit is nothing like an 800 except for like, the first stage.

The Windsor is also frankly an absolutely bizarre circuit. The preamp is considerably different, inexplicably they've got the cold clipper on the 4th stage driving the tonestack. The JCM800 uses a cathode follower for this and has the cold clipper at the second preamp stage. To turn it into a 2203, you're looking at replacing just about every component in the preamp as well as doing some board mods.

The phase inverter is a split load instead of a long tail pair which is SUPER low headroom by comparison (so it gets mushy at volumes where an 800 is firm in response), and that isn't something you could really redo on a PCB.
    I suppose you could buy one for cheap and just gut it and use the chassis for a JCM800 build with an extra couple gain stages available (on a switch or something a la Friedman or Fortin).

6. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

For most people this is probably a good thing, since 2203s sound their best with the MV up high enough that the power amp starts sagging and compressing, much higher than is generally practical.

7. oneblackened

A 100 watt amp is never going to start sagging and compressing until it's obnoxiously loud anyway. May as well have a phase inverter design that isn't all mushy. Plus, split loads sound kinda... bad when they're overdriven.

8. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Power amp sag/compression typically comes from the PI, not the big bottles (this is why PPIMVs work). A PI design with lower headroom should be one way of effectively making a low-wattage amp with EL34s that you can market as "100 watts".

9. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I have pored over the 2204 schematic for hours upon hours throughout my life and never ONCE have I noticed the cold clipper. I guess with a cathode resistor smaller than a SLO it is tougher to spot. I feel like a doof now.

Is the purpose just to introduce asymmetrical clipping or is there more to it? I did find when I was building a SLO clone that that stage would be biased essentially off at rest, which would gate out the basic rf noise. That was cool but I'm not sure if it was on purpose.

10. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

Thanks for clearing that one up. I tried to be pretty clear, I’m working with hearsay, so thanks for putting some experience into the conversation

11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

The real Peavey jcm on a budget would be a vtm, I think.

12. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Now, the VTM i tried was badass so i believe that

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

And the original Butcher. The VTM was the Butcher with dip switches to mod the circuit.
    I brought this up earlier in the threqd but watch the Dave Friedman podcast with James Brown. He talks about the development of the VTM.

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  14. oneblackened

same basic purpose as an slo's cold clipper, it's there to induce asymmetric distortion. It's just milder.

Also, 100% on the Butcher/VTM.

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

edit: nevermind

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  16. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Btw, is it confirmed that the xxx II is the JSX rebadged after Joe left?

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The906 likes this.
  18. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Here's another stinger of a question. Are 333 and 333XL direct circuit copies of XXX/JSX, or is their 333XL just the 333 with a noise gate and fat switches? That would make the latter much more inviting, being a JSX without the Classic series crunch channel.

19. exo

exo SS.org Regular

I’ve owned a Windsor halfstack for years. Best use is as a 100 watt EL34 power amp, using whatever preamp you have straight into the FX return. My latest experiment is an inbound AMT P2. I hope it’s as crushing as I think it will be.......

Bentaycanada likes this.
  20. bracky

bracky Contributor

I don’t see much mention of the duel 212. I really liked mine when I had it.