School me on the less popular Peavey amps (Windsor/XXX/Ultra)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Jun 5, 2019.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I can see it working for the Ultra Plus because it's a VEEEERY midrange heavy amp. It'll add some depth that the Ultra series can be missing. Plus it sounds like he dialed in his base tone to be very very dark and midrangey and used the BBE to compensate for that.

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I think anything in the loop to help control frequencies helps the Ultra Plus. Heck, I remember an interview with the White Zombie guitarist back in the 90's talking about how that amp was best with the mids dialed up, and then an EQ in the loop to scoop them back. He said it sounded better than scooping with the amps mid control.

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I see these come up for sale every now and then really cheap, but they’re always collection only (understandable given the size) and too far away from me. I’m still waiting for one nearby, so I can convert it into a head.

Good video. I think I liked unboosted with the bbe the most.

The thing about the BBE sonic maximiser is it’s a tool and it will work for some jobs and not others. A lot of people misuse them, which leads to a bad reputation.

The marketing copy also doesn’t help, since despite the claims about phase and timing alignment and whatever else, they’re just state variable filters (gyrator eq) fixed to boost-only. At least with the pedals, I assume the rack units are the same thing. Contour boosts bass, and process boosts highs.

So for an amp that is very mid-focused and lacks bass and treble, they’re a good tool. I liked using one with my Marshall valvestate head since they’re thin on the bottom end, it was like adding depth and presence controls (kinda). But for something that produces plenty of lows and highs, like a Mesa, it’s unnecessary and will probably result in a boomy and scooped tone.

Also most people will overdo it and crank both knobs up which might sound cool in your bedroom once your ears are acclimated to it, but what you’ve essentially done is scoop all your mids.

I can get why the bbe works good with an ultra, since it doesn’t have depth or presence controls, and if you set the damping to tight, that is like setting depth and presence at 0.

gunch likes this.
  4. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Seriously, i got rid of my xxx, because it had NOTHING in common with a recto, especially the feel. The voicing and feel are polar opposites.

The xxx is thin, and tight (on all settings), while a recto has a certain girth/thickness that can only be found on certain amps (Uberschall, Archon, etc.), and the xxx is most certainly not one of them.

Play them side by side, and the difference will be obvious. I was actually running these amps in a stereo rig a few years back.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I found the Ultra channel can be saggy at times. Not Recto pudding mushy, but it definitely had more give than the Crunch channel.

youngthrasher9 likes this.
  6. Roadsterjosh

Roadsterjosh SS.org Regular

The Ultra Plus would benefit greatly with a presence ciruit to give a little more treble content. I typically run mine slightly scooped, with the treble pushed because I feel like it lacks a little high end. I boost with an SD1 with the tone knob set a little higher than half to get a little more grind and jt seems to do the trick. I haven't tried a maximizer in years, but would think it may do a good job pushing the highs a bit. I'll have to see if I can find one cheap.

7. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

I already mentioned this, lol!

8. gunch

gunch chungus

You did, oops. In my defense this guy was using the rack maximizer and by the time I was looking around on youtube I had forgotten your post

FWIW now you have video evidence of your claim, which is valid

viifox likes this.
  9. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Haha! I'm just giving you a hard time. ;)

gunch likes this.
  10. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

Were you running 6l6’s, hot? I was. My 3120 sounded more like you’re describing. I’m not sure how the response changes with tuning, either. I was doing B standard 100% of the time so perhaps a tuning difference made for change in response.

11. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

I tried 6l6, el34, and kt77s. I couldn't get close to a recto sound at all, even through the mesa recto cab.

youngthrasher9 likes this.
  12. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

People used to put DBX (266 or 286 cant remember) mic preamp in the FX loop and it absolutely crushed with these amps. The XXX sounded killer it fixed the thinness in much the way that people use midboosters now.

aesthyrian likes this.
  13. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

The XXX has an active EQ/tone stack right? Most people find those weird since few amps sport them.

14. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

It does. There's even an "easter egg" on the xxx where one of the knobs (can't remember which one) on the lead channel affects the sound (presence, maybe?) on the crunch channel. It's wacky, but true.

Boofchuck and Elric like this.
  15. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Regular

It's the volume knob. It brightens things up. I've had a 3120 for 7 years and I only discovered this a few weeks ago!

viifox likes this.
  16. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Tl/dr buy old peaveys or a 6534+.

Beheroth likes this.
  17. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

That's right! It's all coming back to me now.

18. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

I have a XXX, JSX and have owned a 6505+.
    The trick with the XXX is to set the resonance switch to loose. It sounds way better this way. Not as tight as the 6505+ but tight enough, and brutal sounding.

Bentaycanada and Bloody_Inferno like this.
  19. Boofchuck

Boofchuck SS.org Regular

Diming the amps' master volume and backing off the tone knob on the guitar also really helps.

20. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I've had the original green stripe Ultra 120 for 10 years. I can't NOT use it with a Sonic Stomp in the loop. It just adds so much punch that's not there. That and the loop needs a kick to the signal. I use 4 cable method and using the loop halves the volume I'd say. Stay away from the rackmount, not as good and sucks tone, no true bypass. I've been saying it for years, but I finally gotta take it in to have the Pres/Res circuit added to it. It's the only reason I use other amps. That or I'm just gonna get a Power Station 2 cause I need one for recording anyway. Not a super loud amp.

The secret sauce for this amp is Crunch - gain switch in, gain almost cranked. No boost. Best 7 string amp I've played. Tight, saturated just enough but you gotta attack the strings to get it the rest of the way there.

Ultra - gain switch OUT. Very loose but a nice slappy pick attack like an 800 or unboosted Recto orange channel. Add boost here. I use MXR M77 or Friedman BB.

Clean channel is so gainless and sterile you can leave your OD on pretty much. Nice spank though if you turn the bright switch on and crank the bass. EQ on this channel doesn't do much at all.