School me on the less popular Peavey amps (Windsor/XXX/Ultra)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KnightBrolaire, Jun 5, 2019.

1. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

i have had both the xxx and 5150 and they are totally different amps. They have a lot of distortion and that is about all they have in common. The xxx doesn't have the low end grunt of the 5150 but has a neutral usable clean and 3 channels over the 2 on peavey 5150s/6505 . They complement each other really well but aren't tonally very similar.

efiltsohg, aesthyrian and viifox like this.
  2. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

This.

3. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Right, because we all like to put things in a chain that have absolutely zero effect on the amps we use :spock:Makes about as much sense as "educating" us lesser mortals on gain vs giving input on the OP.

4. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Dunno about you, but I like a good tuning pedal.

aesthyrian likes this.
  5. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I’ve owned and played through a: 3120, XXX, and a 6505+. I’ve played through a block letter 5150 as well.

My favorite was the XXX. I found it to be like a rage baby of the block letter and a triple rectifier. It had that bone crushing bottom end of the latter, but more of saturated crunch in the mids like the 5150. (With a hair less of them, however.)

The 3120 is the same thing as a XXX, but mine came with EL34’s which translated to an odd honky hollow sound high midrange that I couldn’t dial out with my rig. I think that particular amp needed biased really bad and the tubes were kinda junk as I recall.

My second favorite was the 6505+. Boosted, I was getting The Black Dahlia Murder tones all day. (Latest album)

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  6. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

The Rockmaster Preamp... mmm mmm that thing is sweet. I know the dudes from Textures used it on nearly every album.

Dunno why I sold it. :wallbash:

and yeah, the XXX and 5150 pair together great. The other guitarist in a band I was in for years had an XXX and I had my 5150, our sound together was just perfect to me. Plus, I was always jealous of his tone.. and his usable clean, separate EQ's, the 3 channels, the not piece of shit plastic footswitch, and adjustable bias... and well, ya know.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

According to James Brown, yeah, the XXX was tweaked to George's specs. Apparently it has the Recto look and a Recto-ish inspired sound was because in the '90s, one of George's most prized amps was an early-revision Dual Rectifier, that eventually got damaged and the apparent repair fucked up the sound.

USMarine75 likes this.
  8. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

I find it odd that the xxx and the recto even get compared. They seriously couldn't be further away from each other in every regard. Maybe it's the metal faceplate?

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Because the Triple XXX came out in the late 90's when Rectos were super popular with bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit, and the Peavey ads something something like "Designed to get the heavy Rectified tones of today's rock and metal bands". I remember from day one it seemed like they were trying to make a cheap Recto style amp to compete with Mesa.

However, by design, the Triple XXX was a modern Ultra Plus. They basically took the Ultra Plus and fuzzed it up. It was like a cross of the Ultra Plus and Recto/5150/SLO designs.

Bentaycanada, laxu and viifox like this.
  10. HeHasTheJazzHands

Tonewise compared to the Ultra, the XXX seems to have a slighty saggier, bigger low end and more abrasive, dirtier sound. It seems like they were trying to appeal to the Recto crowd. A combination of George Lynch loving Rectos as the time and the nu metal craze.

I wasn't saying it was a 1:1 Recto clone, just that the Recto was definitely inspiring the tone and design of the XXX.

viifox likes this.
  11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

The Rockmaster preamp is a 10/10 for me - most surprising thing for me was the clean channel. It has a spankyness that rivals my tone-snob corksiffing brand amps.

aesthyrian and wedge_destroyer like this.
  12. Roadsterjosh

Roadsterjosh SS.org Regular

I have an Ultra Plus that I will probably never get rid if. It is so flexible, and has such a wide range of tones available. The clean isn't exactly the best of all time, but it works very well and has some fender qualities to it when EQd a little scooped. The crunch channel and ultra channel share eq but they're voiced differently. They both have so much gain available that it is overwhelming, and this is without the gain boost switches touched. I think they're probably a diode clipping stage that increases the distortion levels by quite a big margin. The resonance circuit is on a switch that can make the amp super tight or really loose depending on the settings. I prefer tight with a 7 string and loose with a 6 in standard, so I leave it in the middle to get a little of each. The amp is super quiet, almost no need for a noise gate in the loop.
    I know the lineage of the ultra series, but I don't hear much similarity from the Ultra Plus to the XXX. There is some, but with the XXX peavey took a step back in terms of tone in my opinion.

13. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Anyone mention the JSX? You know, the amp Satriani had onstage all lit up, with the covered and mic'd up Marshall behind it. ;)

Roadsterjosh likes this.
  14. HeHasTheJazzHands

From what i've read, the Ultra 120 is what the Rockmaster preamp is based on. That, or they took a Rockmaster preamp and added a 60/120w power amp to it. Not sure which came first. :lol:
    It's weird how Peavey designed an amp that sounded nothing like Satch's tone, yet it's a fucking exquisite high-gain metal amp.

It's like the 5150 of the 2000s.

Also listening to clips of the original Valveking... Honestly, it sounds cool. It sounds like it has the grunt of a 5150, and the high end of the Ultra Plus/XXX. Although it lacks the gain of all 3.

Rex likes this.
  15. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

So much this.
    Which is why mine shall never leave me, of my own free will. Even with the shared Eq for crunch and ultra channels, just throw an Eq in the respective loop and tweak away. The circuit and added versatility of the 5 different loops and 3 outputs (1V, 3V -10db xlr) is what makes it (IMO) the best of the ultra series; just add power amp of your choice.

And I'm not totally sure which is the chicken or the egg, I thought it was head then pre. But it's been a long time since I lurked the Peavey forums.

aesthyrian likes this.
  16. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Totally. The xxx to me is like 2 steps backwards from the UP. The xxx is more aggressive though, but is really tight and trashy sounding, which is why i think it excels at thrash based genres.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:rofl::

Well played, lol.

aesthyrian likes this.
  18. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I’m not talking construction or every aspect of tone. It’s more of a feel thing. On the mid or loose setting it feels like a Recto, and I’ll be damned if it doesn’t have a similar vibe tonally.

19. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

I picked up a Peavey Ultra 410 combo recently for $250. Couldn't pass it up when I saw it on CL. I plan on converting it into a head to put on top of my Peavey 412MS with G12K-85's.

It sounds pretty good; not as good as the 5150 block letter or 6505+ 112 combo I used to own, nor as good as the 5150 III 50 watt head I currently also own, though it does the job, and can't really be beat for the price.

It does not have the clarity or tightness of the 5150 III. I can kinda see how it could be compared to a Recto, as it is thick though a bit loose and fizzy. The cleans do sound quite nice compared to a 5150/6505. The active controls are a bit weird, and an external EQ does help out quite a bit.

I wouldn't keep in for my main amp, though it's great for a second amp or running in stereo with my 5150 III :)

20. gunch

gunch chungus

hey nerds explain this video, I thought BBEs were big no-nos!!!

Like it magically made a night and day difference with this Ultra Plus