Schecter USA Pickups Custom Shop

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have become a convert over the years to Schecter USA pickups. I find them awesome in 99% of my needs. They usually put them in USA series guitars, and some imports too. What I wanted to say is that as a real custom shop, Schecter will make you pickups. You can tweak the windings and also get different colors since everything is almost always black. I am not sure folks know about this service, but it's really nice to have it offered.

I wanted to put an Apocalpyse in a sparkle lime green ESP USA m1, since the SD Pegasus was not cutting it. It is too focused for me and really thin in the upper register. I went through Jason at DCGL, we called Schecter and ordered a white bobbin Apocalpyse with black pole pieces. Took about a week.
Cost was $149, which was okay for this quality of pickup looking just the way I want it. This is how it turned out. Hope to install by tomorrow if all goes to plan. Anyhow, if you like any of their pickups but need different voicings or colors, it can be done.

Pickup 1.jpg Pickup 2.jpg

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
My current main 7 has a Brimstone set in it. Very nice set. I'll do a review soon after I understand/learn these pickups well.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are any of their pickups similar to other known brands? Or do you consult with them and say "I'd like a pickup that sounds like X, can you make it for me?"

Zado

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are any of their pickups similar to other known brands? Or do you consult with them and say "I'd like a pickup that sounds like X, can you make it for me?"
Similar, but not the same, still have their thing going. The Apo is a Juggernaut spec wise, but that's just on paper.
About custom ordering pickups, i dont think it can be done honestly.

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably depends on the shop that orders them. I know they are not direct to public.

There is a video of recent vintage in which the newer guy running the pickup department talks about custom winding pickups-essentially changing an existing one.

I haven't done that as I have not felt a need. They are not pickup manufacturers like SD or DiMarzio, but the fact is they can accommodate more than just what you see as generic offerings. I will look into the process for making a true custom pickup, ie. selecting magnets and windings.

I know on paper the Apo is similar to the Jug, but IMHO they sound quite a bit different. There is more hair on the APO and the Jug seems to lean towards a cleaner, sterile sound. Which is perfect for certain folks to be sure. I use the APO in hard rock to metal from the 70's and 80's. I love the overtones the pickup has, and for my style, it really brings out much of my nuance. I will try to record some clips of various guitars this weekend. This will be the first time I will be hearing the APO in an all mahogany body.

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
Probably depends on the shop that orders them. I know they are not direct to public.

There is a video of recent vintage in which the newer guy running the pickup department talks about custom winding pickups-essentially changing an existing one.

I haven't done that as I have not felt a need. They are not pickup manufacturers like SD or DiMarzio, but the fact is they can accommodate more than just what you see as generic offerings. I will look into the process for making a true custom pickup, ie. selecting magnets and windings.

I know on paper the Apo is similar to the Jug, but IMHO they sound quite a bit different. There is more hair on the APO and the Jug seems to lean towards a cleaner, sterile sound. Which is perfect for certain folks to be sure. I use the APO in hard rock to metal from the 70's and 80's. I love the overtones the pickup has, and for my style, it really brings out much of my nuance. I will try to record some clips of various guitars this weekend. This will be the first time I will be hearing the APO in an all mahogany body.
Agreed with this. The apocalypse set has never felt like the juggernauts to me. I've had both sets at different points, and apocalypse bridge is hotter and nastier, with a more balanced midrange tbh. The apocalypse's midrange worked better for my particular flavor of riffs (blackened death metal/sludge).
I don't particularly remember the apocalypse neck though. The juggernaut neck has this nice smooth, flute like sound to single notes (kind of like a liquifire or cold sweat) but not quite as much output.

Schecter makes very underrated pickups imo.

Necky379

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Apocalypse was fantastic to me, bright with decent clarity, percussive low end. I ended up swapping it out for a Suhr Hot 7 because I wanted something thicker and more classic sounding. This was in my SRC7 bridge, I wouldn’t be surprised if I put the Schecter back in or use it in a different guitar someday.

I contacted them once about building a 7 string Pasadena Plus (their JB) or Sunset Strip (their Custom) using the translucent smoke bobbins from the Apocalypse and they told me they couldn’t do it. I was going to use one of those and something else undecided for the middle hum spot. I ended up finding Suhr’s JB type pickup used and went with that, these are an Aldrich for 7’s. That was last year, if they’re taking custom orders now I still wouldn’t mind having some more smoke bobbin Schecters.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Along with Elysian, I feel Schecter are some of the most underrated pickups out there. Great stuff.

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Went into the routes without a hitch. The tabs are essentially SD sized so no modifications of the tabs or routes was necessary.

Attachments

• esp g4.jpg
    esp g4.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 5

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I do also think Schecter's USA stuff sounds pretty solid. I especially am a fan of the Pasadena + bridge and Pasadena neck set. Just a great all around set that does everything well. I use to not like the apocalypse set, but it's started growing on me recently.

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
My white PT8 has a Pasadena Plus bridge and I think Pasadena (normal?) in the neck. The bridge pickup in particular sounds killer. Saturated with a raw, biting top end.

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Pasadena set is fantastic. I will be using it in my next build since the quest never ends.

One thing I must repeat is that all guitars/pickups are still unique. 5 of the exact same guitar, exact same builder and specs, usually one of them will sound better to an individual for who knows what reason...still subjective.

Besides my Schecter Masterworks as my favorite, I have one other USA production guitar, my swirl, that is the best sounding guitar I own. It absolutely crushes. It has apocalypse pickups, and that guitar sold me on them. Every other guitar I have put the apocalypse in sounds fantastic, but not even close to this swirled guitar. Something was in the air the day that guitar was made. I have A/B'd that guitar against every guitar I own, and leaving my masterworks out of the equation, it just kills them all. It has a massive sound, especially with gain and soloing in the upper registers...notes sustain and bloom and remain fat and juicy.

And it's not just me. There is a group of us here that buy, sell, collect, trade...and to a man they all agree that particular guitar is out of this world. None of us knows why. It's just the way it is in the land of guitar.

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I almost went with the Sunset Strip, but I kinda set this one up as my heavy guitar...more modern metal ala Michael Romeo tones.
And yes, I did change the sperzel buttons to pearl to match up with the inlays. The factory ones were black. I think it brings the look together and I tend to put pearl buttons on lots of my guitars.

esp g3.jpg

Zado

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I almost went with the Sunset Strip, but I kinda set this one up as my heavy guitar...more modern metal ala Michael Romeo tones.
And yes, I did change the sperzel buttons to pearl to match up with the inlays. The factory ones were black. I think it brings the look together and I tend to put pearl buttons on lots of my guitars.

View attachment 112622
Damn it looks magic. Is it bolt on or neck thru?

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I only play bolt-on. Only own one neck through/set neck at the moment. Gibson of course.
I take that back, I have a Rarebird as well.
I just like being able to take the neck off and work on it, refret, work the body...etc.

I fall into the smaller camp that bolt-on neck guitars sound better as well. But the ESP USA series is very good IMHO. Not the value of Schecter USA, but about the equal for quality. Obviously, ESP USA doesn't have a ton of options, but what they do, they do well. One offs like this paint job always get my interest. Their painter Ryan has quite a following.

Schecter Masterworks and ESP custom Japan are still top of the heap for me. Never played an electric better than either of those two, and I have owned A LOT of custom guitars over the last 30 yrs or so.