Schecter USA NGD! Nick Johnston Sig

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Jake, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Pics first:

So where to start? This guitar rules, i guess that's a good starting point. I remember seeing these when they came out and always thinking how cool they were but I really never could justify the price tag attached to them. But every once in awhile you come across the kind of deal you can't really pass up and that's how I ended up here. I was perusing GC online and saw this sitting there for $1800. Listed my Majesty for sale immediately, it sold incredibly fast and then next thing you know this was on the way. I've needed a bit more versatility within my stable lately and this will certainly do it.

It's a 2017, it's got the original NJ Atomic pickups, not the subatomic newer ones so I definitely am going to have to create new patches on the ol' axe fx but it's going to be a breath of fresh air. I haven't had a ton of motivation to play guitar lately and I'm hoping this helps with that.

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Welcome to the club!

Isn't the back of the neck just 10/10? My fav part.

And for some reason, and I know this sounds silly, but aren't bends just better somehow? Like super easy and somehow it sounds like the pickups just somehow track the bend better? Not sure what is going on but there's some NJ mojo in this thing :lol:

StevenC, Jake and sirbuh like this.
  3. Jake

Jake GAS Master

The neck is wonderful! My Regius has an unfinished wenge neck as well and it's very similar to that or even the rosewood neck JP I previously owned. I haven't had a ton of time to play it yet and I NEVER play in standard tunings but this will probably change my mind a bit.

USMarine75 likes this.
  4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

These are my absolute favourite production guitars at the minute and probably the best ones too. HNGD, super jealous especially at that price!

sirbuh and Jake like this.
  5. Jake

Jake GAS Master

I had seen some people comparing them to Suhr and LSL and I was unsure how to feel about it but yeah after sitting down with it, it's every bit as good as the Suhr stuff I've played.

sirbuh and StevenC like this.
  6. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

So nice!

Every once in awhile GC posts deals like this where it's like they don't really know where to price it or maybe someone's feeling generous when uploading it or it's been on the floor in a store where people don't generally know what it is. I've found some of my favorite guitars that way the last few years. Definitely an excellent way to get into a USA NJ!

Jake likes this.
  7. Jake

Jake GAS Master

I am legit thinking this may have been NOS, like someone found it and said "oh shit, we gotta get that sold quick" it looks unplayed, it smells like a brand new guitar in the case. All of the case candy is untouched and I literally can't find a single indicator anyone owned this before me.

My local GC once had a PRS SC245 that was buried under a bunch of cases for a few years instead of sitting on the floor and they let me have it for $1200 so it's definitely in the realm of possibilities but I'm just glad it ended up here!

8. decoy205

decoy205 SS.org Regular

That’s a beaut! Congrats

9. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

Damn I'm loving that neck, what is it?

Jake likes this.
  10. Jake

Jake GAS Master

It's wenge!

11. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I had the privilege of playing one last week, and instantly determined that this is the most player worthy vintage voiced Strat copy in production. Everything I would want in a Strat Voice/Look, but able to play like any of my other "modern" instruments.

Jake likes this.
  12. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Congrats man and HNGD

Jake likes this.
  13. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Thanks guys! It honestly is an incredible instrument. Craftsmanship and playability is on par with everything else I have. Obviously it's a strat so it's not super complex but I'm in love with this guitar.

TonyFlyingSquirrel likes this.
  14. slan

slan Fallen Shrines

Congrats! These guitars rule!

15. Jake

Jake GAS Master

I've never been a huge strat guy, but of the ones I've played I legit feel this is the best one I've had my hands on. The closest was a Suhr HSS with stainless steel frets awhile back but I still think this is better by a bit.

slan likes this.
  16. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I had the opportunity to play the import version of this a while back and it felt great, hope you're enjoying it man!

Jake likes this.
  17. Jake

Jake GAS Master

My buddy has the atomic coral import and that's what really rekindled my interest in it initially! I was debating just going with the import before I found this thing tbh.

18. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

I have a bunch of guitars and many USA Schecters. I don't think you can buy better for the money and I love to hear these stories. I think 98% of the world has experience with Schecter imports which are great at those price points as well, but the USA custom stuff is sublime with fretwork unmatched by any builder IMHO. I hope to have my masterworks by Dec. but covid is really slowing things down.
    I hunt the web regularly for them at all the usual spots, and sometimes you can find a real gem for a smoking deal. Once you play one for more than a few minutes, you sort of want them all for yourself. And their own line of pickups are fantastic. Ron Thorn himself considers Schecter USA amazing, and that statement carries weight. Congrats on a great guitar!

Jake likes this.
  19. Robotechnology

Robotechnology SS.org Regular

I want one of those with the Wenge neck! Are the single coils regular or are they noiseless?

20. Jake

Jake GAS Master

It's funny because I've always had this fond nostalgia for Schecter as a whole. My first guitar was a Squier Strat my mom grabbed for $50 at GC for me, but there was a mishap where it got tossed in a dumpster and destroyed (long story) so they took me to GC and let me pick out my first "real" guitar and I picked out the original Schecter Damien 6 FR. Since then I've only ever gotten one other (Synyster Gates sig) but I've always enjoyed them. So for them to build something here that I can compare to everything else I currently own, which if you look in my sig you'll see it's pretty high end stuff I'm a huge fan. I plan to cherish this guitar, it's just something special.