Schecter Sun Valley 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by cip 123, Oct 7, 2019.

1. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

TL;DR Good guitar, Shite pickups.

Just picked this up, haven't seen too many around, none really at all as I tried to find a review.

Wanted one for a while, and wish Schecter had done the HH pickguard version in a solid colour. But this still looks pretty slick in this colour. 7 string super Strat you can't really go wrong.

This is a preowned guitar, so take the review with a pinch of salt, but it's pretty flawless only small marks which look like factory screw ups. Still has the plastic on the trem/electronics covers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Build Quality - Overall it seems pretty solid. I don't see any glaring issues. The Neck pocket doesn't have any huge gaps, the pickup routes are clean, electronics and tremolo cover plates are recessed which is lovely, I usually have the gripe of why trem covers aren't recessed in £1000+ guitars. The Frets are finished nicely there isn't a sharp one on it, and plenty of space either side of the Low B and High E so you won't be sliding off the edge. The floyd nut is nice and flush at the top not sticking out one way or the other. There's really nothing wrong with the way this thing is built.
    9/10

Finish - The body is finished very well, some surface scratches which could be from the owner but no obvious factory faults. The neck is where you find flaws in the finish, there are a few spots where the lacquer is flaking away, not very noticeable though. On the treble side at the higher frets there looks to be some dirt under the finish. Also at the spoke wheel cavity theres some "sharp" wood just handing off the edge, a quick run with some finishing sand paper is all it would've taken.
    7/10

Electronics - Look very clean, I'm actually surprised. The joints are nice, the wiring is neat, and theres plenty of space left unlike some Schecter cavities. The switch feels really sturdy and so do the pots I'm just gonna give this a straight 9/10. Could it be cleaner, absolutely, but on an Indonesian guitar it's looking pretty slick, this ain't Padalka.

Pickups - ...These are getting replaced ASAP. I guess they look and feel well built? I'm going to throw some new strings on tomorrow and hope it'll help but these are not cutting it at all. I believe these EMG's are Indo/Korean made? If they'd put EMGHZ on these I wouldn't have been so disappointed. But WOW these are bad. Like I said earlier if Schecter had made this H-H I wouldn't be so annoyed because I could just drop some Fishmans in and problem solved.
    1/10

Overall I really quite like the guitar, it needs new strings and a set up before I can really rip it but looks great plays nice enough. I do think this one will disappear from the catalogue next year though. I've seen none of these 7 string Sun Valley's online or out in the wild and they're just a bit too expensive imo, £959($1181) over here in the UK where as the 6 string will sit at £699($861) or there about. Be nice if they did something similar to the 6 with the pickguard. H-H, solid colour, pickguard. Still I picked this up for £499($614) which is kind of a steal.

I'll try get some more pics in person tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

congrats, that looks awesome--huge fan of gray to color burst finishes, and purple is almost always the best color on a guitar.

bummer about the pickups though, what do you think you'll throw in there?

cip 123 likes this.
  3. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Yea the Purple matches my Custom Shop now!

I might just leave the singles in as Dummy coils and put a Fishman in the bridge. Or just go all out and get a set of Duncans. The routes are pretty tight to the shape of the pup so I'm gonna doubt a proper EMG will fit in there. Same goes for Fishman aside from the Open Core or Merrow.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  4. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard delightfully devilish

I learned this the hard way: If you go with duncans, an uncovered humbucker will fit but their single coils are 5 - 6 mm too wide for the routes. It might be possible to file down the tabs and covers but it's close to the point of eating into the hole for the screw and then not having a lot of material left if you need to make a new hole. One of several reasons mine has been sitting in pieces more than it has been played, sadly.

HNGD and good luck if you mod it! Interested to see what you do.

cip 123 likes this.
  5. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the heads up! Is it the same model you have?

Could always go with Bare knuckle I think they do 7 string singles too.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

Great axe I'd love to feel in my hands
    May I suggest BKPs Nailbomb in the bridge and Trilogy Suite in middle and neck pos ?

cip 123 likes this.
  7. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Sweet axe, congrats!

cip 123 likes this.
  8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I always try Bare Knuckle Humbuckers in 7 but can just never seem to get along with them. I've got an Aftermath and a set of Warpigs just...sitting around doing not much :lol:

9. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Nice score for sure. That finish is immense!!

cip 123 likes this.
  10. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

CIP123 : "I've got an Aftermath and a set of Warpigs just...sitting around doing not much :lol: "

aaah s..t ! just ordered a set of Warpig8 !!! hahaha
    To test in my S8qm ! don't doubt it's a better deal that the Sentient/Pegasus ones
    We' ll see !

AkiraSpectrum and cip 123 like this.
  11. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Haha mine are 7 string sets so can't help with the 8 sadly.

12. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard delightfully devilish

Yep, same one. It has been an ongoing project for me, multiple refinishes and now the pickup issue. So if you find out BKPs fit please share. I totally agree with you though, if Schecter did these in HH and solid colors I think they'd have been popular, can't believe they didn't.

13. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

They actually did, once, for a prototype. But being Schecter they then didn't put the proto in to production.

Attached Files: