Schecter KM-7 MK-III VS. Jackson Juggernaut HT7FM VS. Solar A2.7

rgk7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello,
I've mostly played Ibanez 7 strings over the years - the usual suspects are:
RG7620/7420, RG1077xl, K-7, Apex1, Universe, Xiphos and some LACS. I've also owned a KxK sii7.
Out of that - even if I'm now looking for something different in the mid price range I'm a little bit picky when it comes to the necks. I think it's hard to compete with the KxK and the LACS.
Is there anybody who tried each of those listed guitars? How's your experience? Which of those has the thinnest neck? C/D-shaped? Which sounds and plays the best? Over all quality of the instrument?
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Schect...r-Stealth-Grey-1500000265748.gc#productDetail

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackso...rt1|MultiItemPersonalizedViewCP#productDetail

https://www.solar-guitars.com/product/a2-7-lemon-neon-matte/

Reactions: khm

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I like the Mark III Neck profile as its super thin but it has shoulders that are rounder than Ibanez (I have a RG1527).
I prefer the radius of the Ibanez as flat boards are the bomb. The MK III Has a compound radius board.

Honestly either neck profile is really good and both are very thin.

I've never tried a Solar - Would like to though.

rgk7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks Vegetta! How is the over all quality of the MK III out of yore experience? I was reading a little bit in the MK III thread and there seemed to be some binding issues as well as an offset neck on a picture.
This does not seem to apply on these pictures. You can compare the pictures with two different serial numbers: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...k-iii-standard-stealth-grey?serial=IW18121060

Mine didn't have any binding or finish defects. (Thankfully) I know some people did tho (and in some cases more than once). I think there were some first run issues and hopefully they have everything sorted now.

7yxdqLbgCW80fYYlHpEX9zfVIusUY0ldOi5CoM75yzsmUJ0BK3AI4dwHvoR8DIUBcoWqyIoiTzvR-iFApVODh5r9lwOhtz0bWV31HG_o3amcfGHfxFEg7KQhp5INuO7r-YPYuSI12i-rd7B_tFBd30SmwRWLjO8mEeh-VlpaFkGGWuvzjYOD3gcfSuUzvfLP9yg3WQ_yUaqjnor7pJf26kPEmxY1GWMMOBCX40Tak3ke4xgJ3uzTMTpu3A2dpsNwAIoUPdNUVTAq-5wGVHwvQz1AklRSW3TNUBth6UamLUDm1fsHLXM6DBNt1riNsbkUdLN-u8d3L3TC-yXdORMCxPZH5lFyNV5WYu1vfQ2-ibn5mciUNVb165tQuGBvcF6YxSKbxSDycng2ORz-KmjunpRpkkZ3wr-qOatZuZDl3bETKariVIU2peOfkXAfRQQcGLFKS08DbLBJJA4s-UQsty52OiyeLfC6W1TV0uSCARjbIRnHFKeKtMQ9uJlNCcae8TdYmATD56XQ1p_KfcE8umhW_t_R3QKJzLCgV_sRMwozkrwwFNBh7Rcv8iZZvdlG9dOD18RAx-BylZjiKzhXk6K8rcpdWX9ru3smxb7zIgZJNXvlSHe3ZMsPwPQzMetjMdEDZXZ-0A_EXkas14MDIt8kQwyeKxHk-j7Ne__u0DuPJlPecseXVocNeFgH4A=w1378-h775-no

I did have an issue with the volume pot on mine. If the volume was off and you turned the knob the tiniest bit it would go full volume and then if you turned it the tiniest bit again it would work as expected.

I Emailed both Schecter and Fishman about it. Schecter never replied. Fishman replied super fast and suggested i try blowing out the pot with compressed air. I tried that and it fixed the issue.

rgk7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Alright good to know. I might swap the pickups anyways at some point and have bunch of electronics lying around..
Might pull the trigger in a couple of days.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I've tried a couple Solars and they were solid guitars, everybody seems to love the Merrow sigs other than the first batches. Pro series Jacksons have inconsistent quality control in my experience but if you get a good one you'll be happy. Personally I'd probably get the Solar, but that's just because I haven't personally tried a Merrow sig and I don't know if I'd like the pickups.

I play music

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello,
I've mostly played Ibanez 7 strings over the years - the usual suspects are:
RG7620/7420, RG1077xl, K-7, Apex1, Universe, Xiphos and some LACS. I've also owned a KxK sii7.
I think those are all better than the ones you're asking about. I'd recommend to maybe save up for something a little better than the 3 you are looking at, for example the KM-III Hybrid, and for now stick with the KxK and LACS you have.

rgk7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm stuck in a hotel that's the reason for getting something cheaper.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm stuck in a hotel that's the reason for getting something cheaper.

If that means you want to buy something during the lockdown then used gear is out of the question.

Never played a Solar, but (korean) Schecters have always been solid instruments which just got better and better features the moment Merrow got involved with them. Current Jackson imports are hit or miss as previously said so my money would be on a Schecter Hybrid for sure.

rgk7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If that means you want to buy something during the lockdown then used gear is out of the question.

Never played a Solar, but (korean) Schecters have always been solid instruments which just got better and better features the moment Merrow got involved with them. Current Jackson imports are hit or miss as previously said so my money would be on a Schecter Hybrid for sure.

Yeah it would be the Schecter. But even stores having trouble with shipping these days otherwise it would already be on its way ;)

Varjo

ss.org frenulum
Reaction score
I had the earlier Jackson Mansoor signature, a 7-string Juggernaut, blue burst with maple neck and ebony fretboard. It was a quality instrument, well constructed. The neck had a smoother D-profile than an Ibanez, or at least it felt that way. Nice and slim, very playable indeed. Action was sufficiently low for my taste. Fretwork was good, parts were good. Going in to nitpicking mode, the nut was poorly cut (functionally it was fine but it could have been sanded, leveled etc from factory, nothing you couldn't do yourself) and the pots just seemed to bee poorly lubricated. All in all, a good, playable guitar. Based on that experience alone I've got good vibes for their quality.

yanlin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What about USA Schecter KM-7 MK-III VS. USA Jackson Juggernaut HT7FM