Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MikeH, Oct 19, 2013.

1. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

So I decided to spend a little time with this since I have plenty of time to send it back... the Sitar was from crap (no idea what it was, black goop) in the slots on the nut... detuned, cleaned and it is fine. Only other issue is a slight rough spot on the neck that I suspect I can clean up in about 30 seconds. Still making up my mind, but after a little setup work guitar is MUCH better than it was.

yellowv, Shask, The906 and 1 other person like this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Okay so it's actually very close to the Classics, then. Might consider it, then.

Even IF they're just a set of Classics tweaked to be better with low-tunings, I'm sold on them. I'm surprised at how mean the Classics can sound. Could have slightly tighter low end, though.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I think is pretty much always necessary on MIK guitars (and most guitars in general). I got a PRS SE Floyd last week... played pretty bad, frets cut your hand, Floyd up at an angle, etc... a little filing, oiling, and twisting some screws, and it is pretty pretty smooth after only 2-3 hours. It definitely pays to know how to do some basic setup if you buy new guitars.

4. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

Well I got mine today. Similar experience to Steve. The D and A strings had quite a bit of buzz open. The nut seems to be a little low or the saddles aren’t shimmed properly. I adjusted the truss rod and raised the bridge a tad and also loosened the locking nut pads a bit as they were too tight. I was able to get rid of 95% of the buzz. I could always add a shim under the nut, but it’s honestly not enough of an issue to worry about. Other than that I’m pretty impressed. The finish is great, fretwork is very good. Plays and sounds great. I like it. A lot.

5. yellowv

6. yellowv

Well it looks like it’s going back. Later on I noticed that where the binding meats the board it is all cracked all the way along the board. Anyone else have anything like this on theirs?
    [​IMG]

bastardbullet likes this.
  7. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Ugh, no, mine is fine.
    I noticed the truss rod nut was pretty stiff when attempting to remove a little relief. How was yours? My first 7 so maybe that's normal.
    Finish and fit on mine are w/o issue. Frets are %100 in my eyes, at least.

8. yellowv

My truss rod was fine. I’m calling MF in a bit to arrange an exchange. Hopefully they have more.

9. DIOBOLIC5150

DIOBOLIC5150 SS.org Regular

All of the Lambo guitars seem to have some degree of that on the neck binding, but that seems a bit much. I've asked them about it and they basically said it was because the carbon fiber neck binding is a real bitch. What you're seeing is the somewhat "wavy" line between the clear-coated CF binding, and the raw wood of the fretboard. It isn't actually a crack, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. You could trade it in, but the next one you get will probably have some amount of that. All of mine have a bit of it in spots. It isn't structural, however. But yeah, maybe try a different one if that's your only major gripe with it. As with most import guitars, its hit or miss at times. Even I have gotten a couple dud imports over the years. Just the nature of the game I guess.

In other news, World started sending proto pics of the MKIII import. We're experimenting a bit :)

unnamed.jpg

10. XiXora

XiXora SS.org Regular

If you're working on the import line now… does that mean the 6 string version isn't going to be a USA part?

11. DIOBOLIC5150

DIOBOLIC5150 SS.org Regular

The Custom Shop is still going to be making 6-string versions, and there will be an import version of that as well.

If any of you guys were wanting a sick USA MKIII Studio without waiting for it to be built, Drum City Guitarland has this one ready to go. It was #2 from the first run. I spent a little time with it and wanted to take it home so bad, haha.

Attached Files:

12. yellowv

Thanks for the reply Keith. I am going to send it back and try another and see if it’s better. There are some spots that are definitely cracked. If I tried I could probably get a fingernail in there and take off a piece. Sucks bc other than that the thing is pretty much flawless.

13. XiXora

XiXora SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply. It will sit proudly next to a Nick Johnston :D

14. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Awesome to finally see updates on the MIK ones! I can't wait to see these fully built. You'll definitely have to keep us updated.

Also I just realized that these are neck through. Is that confirmation then that the all of the MIK will be neck through?

15. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

I got the $500 KM7 today.

The nut fell out as soon as i changed the strings, the volume knob is loose, and I'm not sure if I dig the Nazgul.

But after all of these things, a regluing of the nut (thankfully my roomate has wood glue lying around) and a proper setup (which I'm working on rn) it turned out to be pretty sweet. I'm still in the middle of buyer's remorse right now, so I'll let y'all know if it goes back on Guitar Center's website.

16. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

This was the used one correct?

17. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

Yep.

18. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

My KM7 mk2 is buzzing like crazy unless I have my finger on the toggle switch or the back plate screws. I re-soldered the ground wire properly but it's still unplayable. Can someone guide me in the right direction on what to do? Should I just buy a pot, toggle and output jack and change everything?

ImNotAhab likes this.
  19. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

I would say yes, if yu have the skills then you should do it. The wiring and pots on Schecter sucks immensely in my experience.

20. yellowv

Mine has gone back to MF. Hopefully for a better one. I have high hopes, bc I dug the crap out of it.