Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MikeH, Oct 19, 2013.

1. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

The only purpose is that gives us a general idea of the street price, just as you said. I figure the same thing as you did Keith (a smidgen over $4k) , so it gives me hope that I'll be able to get one. I spent $3200.00 on a PRS Floyd for my daughter for her potential college graduation, so now it's Dad's turn to have a nice US made guitar, and yours is nearly perfect for what I like. You do one helluva job on design- I truly think you could make a living do just that :)

2. TedintheShed

BTW, I've loved wenge necks for years. This is the backside of my 1992 Acacia Custom 4 (named it "Neo") and that wenge is just lends such as wonderful tone.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Sermo Lupi likes this.
  3. DIOBOLIC5150

DIOBOLIC5150 SS.org Regular

When everything else eventually comes to an end, I hope to! Haha. I've helped a bit with other guitars in their lineup over the past few years. Sort of tried to help get them in line with what people are into these days.

4. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

So what I'm really hearing is that you're gonna help em design that Stiletto 7 they've prototyped like twice now right? ;)

5. TedintheShed

Jesus, that's great Keith!

Yeah, us old farts (I'm 50) can lose touch. Creativity is a young man's game. Guys like you and Misha remind me of back in the day when I heard "Kill 'em All" and it was off to the races. We dropped all the hair band BS and just went for it- the brutality, drop tuning (Thank Dime!) You guys are today's generation what the Big Four were to my generation and you guys are who I'm trying to learn from. But when your my age, it can be more difficult. So, I'm taking my Mk II and signing up for lessons. Weird, huh?

makecamera likes this.
  6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Super interested in getting the MKIII import model, it looks phenomenal (especially in blue).
    The fact that your Fishman's have a '78 brown sound' voice is extremely attractive to me; big fan of A2 magnets and I assume this is simulating an Alnico 2 'rock' pickup.

TedintheShed likes this.
  7. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

This is why I want to know if the $3500 for the pro model is msrp or street price. Although I have a feeling it's street price. Either way with the Korean or USA, I will have my ultimate 7 string.

feilong29 and TedintheShed like this.
  8. carpone

carpone SS.org Regular

This guitar is so sick!!!

9. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

I'm 98.5% sure it is street. The USA Nick Johnston sig at NAMM sat around $2700 so I don't think they would advertise MSRP and street on separate guitars though

If I'm wrong though we both win soooooo

Albake21 likes this.
  10. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

Hnnnnnnnngggggggggg
    The guitar looks lovely too

DIOBOLIC5150 likes this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

absolutely love that Hipshot gibraltar!!!

DIOBOLIC5150 likes this.
  12. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

That looks fantastic. Congrats on a great instrument. I think it all really came together on this one. Very nice design.

DIOBOLIC5150 likes this.
  13. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

Late to this thread but to clear up any misconceptions of the Fluence design and build process, I think we’ve been pretty consistent, and I’ve said in different interviews that there are a lot of things we won’t talk about, but the basics are pretty simple.

Like any pickup, the way the poles or blades interface with the strings will affect the feel of the pickup. So first off if someone like Keith says we started with the Classic architecture it means pole pieces instead of blades, and in his case Alnico magnets; did not switch to ceramic.

From there, there are other proprietary things we do like when Keith refers to a voicing plate, this is basically eddy current control and manipulation. This is affecting the feel also, but for the most part it’s affecting the way the higher frequencies respond to your pick attack and harmonics.

So right there we have tons of variables before we’ve even produced a sound.

Then, when we are voicing the pickup there’s a magic box and a magic computer involved. But it’s not EQ the way you’d normally think of it. Fluence are 100% analog. The voicing sessions we do with the computer are like drafting a guitar on screen in solidworks, and then building the guitar for real.

That’s one of my favorite parts about it. Once we compile all the information, the engineer at Fishman makes the pickup “for real” and at that point, it’s an even better and more dynamic version of what we created during the voicing session.

When we are vague about anything it’s the magic box stuff. That’s incredibly proprietary IP, as is the way we actually execute the process in engineering.

14. DIOBOLIC5150

DIOBOLIC5150 SS.org Regular

Science. What even is it?

The Fluence stuff is taking guitar pickups beyond an outdated design and into a modern era of guitar tone. Its only a matter of time before everyone else starts to rethink the way pickups work, imo. These are definitely translating the sound from guitar strings in a more accurate and musical way than the old copper wire and magnet design. I've helped design quite a few traditional passive pickups, and when I had the chance to work with Frank to voice these Fluence pickups, I was really excited about it. The design and technology really is on a whole new level.

To me, they aren't active pickups. They're "powered" pickups. They have a battery for a reason, but not for the same reason, say, an EMG has one. In order to have multiple voicings, it takes power. But, in terms of the way the pickups actually sound, they aren't super compressed or sterile like active pickups. Mine ended up sounding like the most harmonically rich, responsive, and dynamic passive pickups I've ever heard. The new guitars blow my mind in terms of tone. I love the fact that I can basically get 9 different flavors of tone with one set of pickups and minimal knobs/switches, and all of them sound incredible.

They really breathed life into the MKII guitars as well. The new Fluence-equipped models sound insane.

15. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I was about to ask a question about the voicing step but realized it was in the magic box so you probably can't answer :lol:

16. Albake21

Hey Keith I forgot to ask. Did Shecter add a battery door on the MKII for the Fishmans? I fought a long few week battle trying to find a way to put in a pair of Fishman Modern 7 into my MKII and ended up selling them at a loss. The cavity was WAY too small to fit a battery or even the battery pack. I also couldn't mount the pickups because of Schecter's routing for the pickups. I couldn't route it myself because then maple would show... man what a nightmare lol.

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

Any word on if they'll finally do an 8 string KM?

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  18. Albake21

You can buy a prototype 8 string KM at Drum City right now.

19. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Now I want a cover of Eruption from Keith with the 78 Brown voicing.

Panama's intro can make me happy as well.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

I've seen it, but I'm not into trans white finishes. the neck wood choices on the KMIII are more to my taste