Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MikeH, Oct 19, 2013.

1. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

Thanks! So I want a studio! :)

2. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

Thanks! So I want a studio! :)

3. Koryv86

Koryv86 SS.org Regular

This natural version with the wenge stripes in the front...hmmm. Keith...please build this one!!! Definitely looks sexier than the last mk2 version. Now I have huge GAS for one if these.

Attached Files:

4. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

If it's a prototype at DCGL I'd just go ahead and buy it man, schecter rarely put those protos in to production.

5. mphsc

mphsc http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/

DCGL also has an 8 string KM proto.

6. Koryv86

Koryv86 SS.org Regular

On the website it says "Schecter Diamond Series Prototype Keith Merrow KM-7 MK-II Natural Pearl 7-String Electric Guitar 2017"

Does it mean it was the prototype for the MK-II model however they modified it slightly before the release date? I thought it is a prototype for the the MK-III. (doesn't really matter btw :hbang:)
    It is priced for $1,149,-

I think I'll wait till the end of the NAMM for sure and we will see. :) It looks great though.:mf666:

7. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Generally Schecter make prototypes and DCGL end up with them. How and Why the guitars came about is a little bit of a mystery. It could've been a finish they wanted to try but ultimately went without. However the guitars that pop up are DCGL have become known for not making it to production.

Koryv86 likes this.
  8. Koryv86

Koryv86 SS.org Regular

Thanks Cip 123.

I'll wait for the end of NAMM and if nothing comes up I'll have serious GAS for, I'll contact DCGL and will collect some details and probably more photos about the axe.
    Do you think if it is not a "production model" maybe will have less (or none) flaws as mentioned before in this thread or it has nothing to do with it really?

I like the natural look of a guitar however the natural MK-II is a bit too light (yellow-ish) for me. In this particular model the two stripes on the front of the body and headstock makes a perfect balance in colour.

9. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Hard to say, it's still made in Korea so it'll be good but there is that chance of some flaws. However with a prototype I guess there is a chance it has been through more hands at Schecter themselves. Though I can't say anything 100% on that.

Just speculation, they wouldn't do a prototype in Korea send it to the USA just to send it to a shop. People have probably gone over it to make the verdict on what happens to it.

Koryv86 likes this.
  10. scrub

scrub SS.org Regular

Nice Duvell

Dineley and teqnick like this.
  11. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

It's actually closer to his old BRJ's.

Duvells, BRJ's, and KM's are all nice RG's ;)

12. Taikatatti

Taikatatti SS.org Regular

That black flame km-III is the best looking schecter i’ve seen. Absolutely stunning.

TedintheShed likes this.
  13. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

I'm getting the bolt on model. I'll sell everything I own. The guitar is perfect. A hardtail with a brass block, bolt on, 26.5" scale, fishmans, SS frets... wth Keith and Schecter.. what have you done..

Albake21 and ImNotAhab like this.
  14. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I don’t like the Duvell or the BRJ but think the KMIII is pretty rad.

15. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

HD pics and proper review must be delivered.

That's because the Duvell is plain ugly.

16. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

Ewwww....battery box.

...so close.

17. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

EDIT: read your comment wrong

Keith said on instagram one version has battery box the other version has the Fishman recharge pack.

18. BigViolin

BigViolin JEFF LOOMIS SOLOIST!

Cool, I assume it fits in the control cavity?

19. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

There is one that fits in the cavity with a hole for the USB.

Greg Koch has a special one for his tele that goes on the output jack, keith actually had it on his first proto. I'm hoping fishman make it avalible for the rest of us as my guitar can't take the universal charger.

20. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

Hey, I played this guitar at DCGL. One of the owners of the store told me it was a prototype that was sent to Keith and Keith sent it back. I think he may have said it was the first mkII, but don't quote me on that. Anyway, aside from the stripes, this differs from the production models in that it doesn't have a maple top (so just a one piece ash body). It felt like bare wood. If it had a finish, it was a very thin one. It didn't seem setup properly so take this with a grain of salt: I thought it was only "ok". I don't recall seeing any immediate flaws other than the lack of setup (e.g., the bridge saddle action adjuster screws were all wonky), but it just felt like a prototype -- rough around the edges. I think it sells for the price of a new one because it's unique. I'd definitely suggest going in and playing it if you can. IMO, I'd opt for a production model over this if you don't care about having something unique. Either that or wait for the Korean MKIII's to see if they have a finish you like. The USA models Keith posted on Instagram look absolutely fantastic.

Also note, I'm comparing these to the Japanese, USA, or custom shop guitars I own. YMMV.

Edit: One more note -- I have not played a production model MKII or another other production Schecter ever, so I'm just speculating that the production models are nicer. At the very least, if you didn't like the fit and finish of a production model, you could send it back and get a new one until you found one that you liked. I only played another SLS Elite prototype (which I thought was nicer than the KMII prototype and it had a really really nice flame maple top and Fishman Fluence Moderns). So I'm pretty biased here.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Koryv86 likes this.