schecter damien 5 pickup upgrade?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by buriedoutback, Jul 18, 2019.

1. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I love my Damien 5.
    It has EMG 40hz pickups.

My issue is with output level. I have to crank the gain on my interface / vst / pedalboard super high. I can get some awesome tones, but the hiss sometimes ends up louder than the damn bass.

I just replaced the battery, so I know it's not that.

I'm looking at the EMG 40DC to replace the HZ pickups. IME EMGs are super quiet, so I'm hoping to get incredible tones, without the hiss.

Thoughts? Experience with this situation?

Thanks

2. dax21

dax21 SS.org Regular

DCs are dead quiet in terms of hiss and have plenty loud output. Not sure what your preamp situation is like and whether you will have to change anything because DCs are active, obviously.
    I have two DCs and both on sound a little bit scooped, bridge alone is super honky and brittle sounding, they are really aggressive pickups. If that's not your thing you can also look into a combination of something like DC in the neck and EMG CS in the bridge, that is also a common setup. CS will have a little less extreme highs and sounds a bit more... rounded. Pretty sure you can find comparison samples on youtube/talkbass.

buriedoutback likes this.
  3. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

As far as I can tell, my bass currently has 2 passive emg hz with an active bass/treble style preamp. if i get the 40dc pickups, I'll be stripping all that out and replacing it with the active hardware.
    I do want a heavy, grunty, aggressive tone, so I'm thinking these pickups will work great.
    Thanks!