Schecter C-7 SLS Elite vs Ibanez RGD71ALPA

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Kellz, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Kellz

Kellz SS.org Regular

Can't decide so I wanted to ask here.

They're both around 1400€. Which one is better value comparing the specs? Are there any better alternatives for my money?

I mostly play progressive metalcore.

Thanks!

2. RobDobble6S7

RobDobble6S7 Lizard Man

Ibanez differences from Schecter: Bare Knuckle Aftermaths, Regular Jumbo frets (not SS), Burl top, gotoh locking tuners
    Schecter differences from Ibanez: Fishman Fluence Moderns, XJ Stainless frets, Flame maple top, schecter locking tuners
    Some people hate fluences, and others hate aftermaths. You really do need to hear demonstrations of both.

Kellz likes this.
  3. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

The Schecter will be better built, have better finish, better fretwork on stainless steel frets, plus some quality of life benefits.
    Pickups are personal preference and can be changed, but the only reason I could see for going with the Ibanez would be if you really absolutely want a bolt on neck.

Alternatives? You could find a second hand Schecter banshee Elite 7. Similar quality as the SLS, I personally feels it is a tad more comfortable, and you'd save a bunch of $$$.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  4. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

From a quality perspective, new at this price point, Schecter is going to win out as others have said. They're very consistent. The Ibanez less so.

If you can get a MIK LTD, they are right up there with the Schecters. If you go used, the world really opens up at that price point. I am not familiar with the price trends in the EU, but in the US you can get used high end Ibanez MIJ Prestige guitars and even EBMM stuff at that price point (some of my favorite used deals). You are also getting pretty close to the ESP E-II price range - and used I bet you could find those within your budget. Those are a step above.

If you want new, I would get the Schecter of those two. Schecters are nice. I own a V-1 that's like 12 years old that I bought on sale for like $500. It's a very nice playing guitar - on the level of things 3-4 times its price. Not all I have played felt as good as that one, but I have yet to play a bad one.

RobDobble6S7 and Kellz like this.
  5. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Schecter hands down between these two. Do yourself a favor and don't go with the Ibanez. If longer scale lenght (26.5) is not important for you, you might want to consider the ESP LTD MH-1007 Evertune.

RobDobble6S7 and Kellz like this.
  6. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

How are the Mach pickups though?

Dineley likes this.
  7. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I may need to try and find an ibanez with the panga-panga neck again. But I played an axion label ibanez a couple of years ago with a panga-panga neck and could not stand it. There was nothing smooth about how it felt. The SLS elite's I've tried of course are satin maple necks and I love how they felt. ESP also has some VERY nice 7 strings available in that same price range new. M-1007HT is basically their SLS Elite just with a burl top. MH-1007 Evertune is another option. And if you don't mind bridge only guitars their arctic metal M-7BHT has a single EMG 81TW and is around 1000 bucks. And lastly their H-1007 which comes with a duncan sentient/pegasus set.

Musiscience likes this.
  8. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Really really good.

mbardu likes this.
  9. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Awesome, like most Schecter Humbuckers.
    Would take them over the Fishman ones for sure.

10. theincrediblesulk

theincrediblesulk SS.org Regular

by chance, i found this thread when googling...should have just looked on here to begin with.

i have been debating the same thing for the last couple of days. i was also looking at a solar but i narrowed it down to schecter hellraiser hybrid vs. ibanez rgd axion

been watching a lot of youtube demos...the ibanez sounds great but i am hearing about tuning/tuner issues, poor QC, plastic nut, etc with the ibanez and the fact that it's a bolt-on. the thing that stands out are the BKPs

the only thing that concerns me with the schecter model i am looking at is the TOM bridge...any issues from those who own?

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  11. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

TTOM style bridge is fine. Solid quality. But if it's not your thing spend 200 dollars more and get the sls elite with the hipshot bridge and fishman moderns.