Schecter C-7 Apocalypse Opinions?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Carl Kolchak, Feb 21, 2019.

1. CovertSovietBear

CovertSovietBear Polylinker

How do you like the Apocalypse compared to the Nazgul? I like how gnarly the Nazgul is (the midrange just gets shoved in your face).
    Mind you I only have experience with the Blackouts (way too hot), liquifire, sentient, EMG 707/808 and some stock actives on my old ESP.

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I liked them more than the Nazgul. The Apocalypse bridge was kind of similar to the Nazgul except a lot brighter and much clearer. The Apocalypse pickups were basically very bright without sounding harsh at all. They had very good amount bass too. If you want that gnarly midrange, I think you can happily have that with the Apocalypse pick ups.

3. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Assuming you've tried/demo'd these three yourself, do you feel this vid represents an accurate sonic description of each of them?

4. RoboKopp

RoboKopp SS.org Regular

I own a C7 Apoc and a KMII. I'm not a big fan of the Apoc...The neck on the Apoc is a lot thicker than the KM's and I personally find it uncomfortable. The volume is placed so close to the bridge that it kept getting rolled down with my pinky so I removed it. I really like the look of the Apoc and the slimmer body is nice but neck is real deal breaker for me. So I basically put the Apoc up for sale.

Also not a fan of the Apoc pickups, they don't sound anything close to the Nazguls and they're just too flubby for my tastes. I actually prefer Kiesel Lithiums to the Apoc pickups. - they sound fairly close to the Nazguls imo but with a looser bottom end and different high mid frequencies.

Hope this helps someone!

Carl Kolchak likes this.
  5. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

I guess they're not the best for those seeking for super djenticulation. Also, they're not as hot as some might expect. It's a great hard rock and heavy metal pickup.

6. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Very helpful comment actually.

I've had issues the last couple yrs or so with hand fatigue/cramping and I'm pretty sure it has do to with the flat/super thin neck on my 1527(and Ibanez necks in general).

I really wanna try a thicker rounder neck to see if having a bit more to grip helps. Seems I'm having to pinch the neck too much, especially with more complex chords, which gets painful after a bit.

I haven't played a 7 string Apocalypse yet, but I did try out a 6 string version through a 5153 50 watt a while back and really dug it.

RoboKopp likes this.
  7. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

My Hellraiser had a significantly thicker neck than the KM-7 I have now.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  8. RoboKopp

RoboKopp SS.org Regular

The Apoc may just be right up your alley. It's a great guitar for the price just doesn't suit my needs.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  9. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

My thrill about the Apocalypse series was wrecked a bit when I realized they had a gloss finish, killed the vibe for me. There's some C1s at a local GC, but the strings are gauged so low that the neck has impossible to play curve. It's like they didn't want them to sell, which is why there are still the same two on the shelves.

erdiablo666 likes this.
  10. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

Natural wood look with a gloss finish? I hope someone got fired for that one.

11. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

looking at the specs they seem to be modeled after bkp juggernauts

12. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Not sure which one came out first tho.

13. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

juggs appeared first, if I'm not mistaken bkp were the first to utilize the mix of a5 and ceramic magnets in a production humbucker, but before that there were tripple ceramic sd invader and gibson 500t for god knows how long so I believe someone deffinitely tried to mod them and put a5 instead of ceramic bar

14. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Dunno, I remember the Apo being around at least since 2014, no idea the Jugs were that old, time sure passes quickly :agreed:

As far as I know one of the first Alnico-Ceramic pickups around were Gibson Iommi, which is older than both.

Dineley likes this.
  15. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

juggs were around 2012 or 13, so slightly earlier.

yup, forgot the Iommi, idk what magnet configuration it has though since it's covered with epoxy and you can see only one magnet in the bottom, idk if it's one bar under another or if there magnet spacers on the sides, couldn't find any info

16. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

This was what I was going to say exactly

As well as this. Albake21 has it spot on. The coil split tones are really good too imo.

I think they're super articulate actually. I love playing technical stuff with them. The moderate output helps with the clarity a ton. I just up the gain to compensate and it's fantastic.

It's not really gloss though. It's more satin. It's a polyester finish.

Albake21 likes this.