Scarlett 2i2 "issue"

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by NoodleFace, Dec 9, 2019.

1. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Hi Guys,

Recently picked up a Scarlett 2i2 so I could start recording again. Sounds great with my guitar and nameless suite, so loving that. I'm having a weird issue that might be some common knowledge that I dont know.

I use a Hyper X Cloud gaming headset that splits the cable to a mic out and a a headphone jack. I'm plugging the headphone jack into the Scarlett, with intents to use this as my output 100% of the time (essentially setting the Scarlett as perma-output on my PC). The problem is, when the mic cable is plugged in (to my PC, not the Scarlett), I get a lot of static and what I can only describe as a high pitched whining. If I move my mouse, the whining changes frequency, and it changes based on what's on the screen. It doesn't matter if the scarlett is set as my input, or my mic is set as the input - both options create this whine.

If I unplug my mic, it goes away, so 100% it is part of that. If I plug my headphones into my PC, the whine goes away.

So what is this, is this some sort of ground loop by using both of these devices like this? Is my only option to buy an external mic and hook it into the scarlett for voice comms in games (I know...)?

I can work around it for now by just moving cables as needed. But any ideas?

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Something is creating a loop that's acting like an antenna and you're picking up interference from your PC, which is why you can hear the mouse move and the sound changes with screen content. I know its not convenient, or probably what one wants to hear, but IME gaming stuff is 90% designed for looks, and 10% for function. You'd probably be better off getting a small desktop condenser and some good studio headphones and just keeping your Scarlet connected as your all-the time soundcard.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  3. NoodleFace

Absolutely I agree, I actually like the Hyper X headphones well enough - and I will upgrade to proper studio headphones one day, but just piecing the stuff together one by one. I'll start with a new mic, because I need to be able to yell at people in Overwatch.

I was sort of assuming what you said, but wanted to confirm.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  4. fcv

fcv SS.org Regular

Could also use something like this to break the ground loop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KUD2G4/

Might not really be worth it over just buying a mic instead, but those things are handy to have around anyway.

5. NoodleFace

How do I run the wires for that? Guitar into that then into the scarlett?

6. fcv

fcv SS.org Regular

I was thinking putting that between the headphones and the scarlett, or between the mic jack and the computer. Hopefully either way should keep the scarlett ground from getting directly connected to the computer's ground.

7. NoodleFace

Cool sounds good, I had no idea how it worked. Might look into getting it. Could be handy whether I need it now or not.