SBMM (Sterling) NAMM 2019

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jan 24, 2019.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yeah, it looks like a generic 2-pointer.

Also the Majesty X7 is on Guitar Center.

$999.

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

And that's my problem with Sterling. $999 is WAY too much for the quality. That guitar is on par with $400 - $500 guitars.

Solodini and aesthyrian like this.
  3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

OMG $999 for a Sterling? My big problem is that tremolo unit doesn’t belong anywhere near a guitar in that price range. The fretwork would need to be pretty solid too.

setsuna7 likes this.
  4. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.

Which is why I'd sooner just buy a standard series ibby. I have a few and after giving them a solid setup with a fret leveling and polishing, then spending a bit on a new nut, new tuners, and new electronics, you have a guitar that all told still comes in at under $1000 but plays better than the guitars that Ibanez currently charges $1000 for.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

For $200 more, you can get the Charvel Angel Vivaldi sig. Another 2-point tremolo 7-string, but with an actual name-brand MiJ bridge and name-brand pickups. And made in Mexico vs Indo.

XPT707FX, Masoo2, Solodini and 4 others like this.
  6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

The EBMM management in charge of the Sterling brand really needs to stop pretending they are running the same quality hardware.

That is a cheap bridge that holds up “ok” as long as the user NEVER intends to try to divebomb or really put it to work.

Do these come with actual dimarzios at least or is it their super-muddy “quantum” pickups?

7. movingpictures

movingpictures SS.org Regular

The JP157 I had came with crap Artec style pups. Replaced with used Illuminator 7s which were a definite improvement. Also a DiMarzio ep1111 switch

8. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

My Sterling Valentine is a solid guitar for the $450 I paid for it. I would definitely not pay more than that though. I ripped out all the electronics and installed new pickups, dressed the fret ends, and adjusted the nut and setup to make it a solid player. Sterling's out of the box quality isn't on par with a company like Schecter for mid level instruments.

Mathemagician likes this.
  9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

But we all can agree at least Sterling didn’t completely screw them up by using Fishmans, amiright???? (/sarcasm; see the Schecter thread for endless complaints over OEM Fishmans).

10. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

For good reason. Not everyone likes active pickups and not everyone wants Fishmans. Fuck personal taste, though.

11. Hendog

Hendog SS.org Regular

I thought I would chime in with my opinion on Sterling. I have owned 3 Sterling JP's and they were all great. That being said, the new Majesty that I would love to buy is almost $1,000 and at that price, I would consider other options.