Saw Ghost live at the weekend...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Pat, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

...they were fantastic!

The setlist was great, a good mix of all of their material, although I would have liked to have seen them play a few more songs from Opus Eponymous and Infestissumam. They sounded great live, the songs translate well live now that they have a wider backing group with them.

Stage show was great - some cool little interlude parts whilst costume changes were going on which were interesting.

Tribulation opened for them - these were a great opener. I'd heard of them a couple of years back, so when I heard they were supporting Ghost I revisited their last 2 albums. They really play up to their gothic/vampire image on stage which was cool.

I wasn't a fan of All Them Witches, and a lot of people around me were saying the same thing - they were quite boring. They didn't have much of a stage show, and to be honest I didn't really like the drawn out songs - they didn't seem to go anywhere.

Anybody else seen Ghost on this tour?

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Funnily enough, I bought All Them Witches' first album on a whim, and then didn't like it. Then like 3 years later I listened to it again and now I like them. I think it's because they're almost not even a metal band at all, even though it was sold to me as being stoner metal.

Having said that, I didn't even know they made another CD. I thought they just had that one from back then, so I don't know what the rest of their stuff sounds like.

But I do recommend their first album Our Mother Electricity, if you're up for a modern take on old bluesy rock. Maybe it won't take 3 years to click for you like it did for me :lol: The trick is don't listen to them when you're in a mood for Electric Wizard, but do listen to them when you're in the mood for Mountain.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang

the best description of ghost is "scooby doo chase music played by guys that look like they should be in Batushka".

Vyn, efiltsohg, CM_X5 and 1 other person like this.
  4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

uhh ok? Did you mean to reply to my post or was that an accident? lol

5. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

I was also at the Leeds arena show. Tribulation was a pleasant surprise as I liked their music but did not expect them to be such an exceptional band live. Tried to get into all them witches since I've never heard their music before, but didn't feel their set at all, and the general vibe indicates a lot of people in the arena probably shared this feeling.

As for ghost, the production value was on point and definitely felt like an arena worthy show, but I can't help but feel that the setlist is a bit lacking, with too many instrumentals and ballads in between all the hits. At points it seems like Cardinal is absent from the stage every other song or so. Compared to their 'a pale tour named death' setlist, which contained two sets, 5 or so more songs, a lengthier encore and generally less filler, the set for this tour felt a bit rushed and unimpressive.

Was the gig fun? Yes. Would I go again for the next tour cycle? Yeah I wouldn't mind it. But still the show was a bit of a letdown in general, or perhaps I set my expectations too high to begin with.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang

you were talking about how you were surprised they sound nothing like their album art so it seemed relevant. :shrug:
    I've listened to all of their albums and their later albums are like a weird melange of goth pop/barely hard rock/70s music.

Strobe likes this.
  7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I wasn't even talking about Ghost, rather the opening band dudeman saw :lol:

8. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

True with the later albums, still cool though I reckon - their latest EP of just 2 songs are some of the catchiest songs of the year. Not really metal, but still cool.

9. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

Yeah I see what you mean, but I think they put in the instrumentals to give Cardinal time to do his costume changes. I thought the setlist was good, they played for an hour and 45 mins and it seemed high energy for most of it - which songs did you think were filler? I'd have probably cut out the guitar battle in the middle and stuck another song in instead.