Saor: new track/music video from upcoming album Forgotten Paths

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by KailM, Jan 12, 2019.

1. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Most of you probably wouldn't like this stuff, but I've been eagerly anticipating this album since it was announced about 6 months ago. Well, yesterday, this music video dropped. I have to say, I'm usually not a fan of music videos, despite growing up in the MTV generation when videos were actually a thing. This one is growing on me; and at the very least it's got beautiful cinematography of Scotland.

As for the music, this was absolutely what I expected, but somehow exceeded my expectations. I'll be damned if Andy doesn't raise the bar with every album. Guardians was album of the year for me a couple years ago, and I suspect Forgotten Paths will be in 2019. Supposedly this song is one of the lighter songs on the album, which pleases me because I think it's a powerful, emotional track. Anyway, I'd better post the song, as I'm starting to sound like a school girl:

And here's Guardians in case you missed that amazing piece of art:

And to top it off, Saor is playing in the U.S. for the first time ever this summer. One show. And no, they're not playing in a major city. They are playing at a ranch near Jackson Hole, Wy; A 2.5 hour drive for me. :mf666:

2. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Hell yes, love Saor.

Playing near Jackson Hole, is that Fire in the Mountains fest? Really want to check that out.

3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Yes, with Ruins of Beverast. Should be a sick show.

4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

This dropped yesterday. Yup, album of the year. I don't even need to hear the rest...
    (But I shall eagerly await the full release in two weeks :lol:)

gunshow86de likes this.
  5. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

I've tried to listen to Saor a few times but it's not really my thing. I get that they have a whole "we're from the highlands" vibe, but that folk vibe doesn't gel with me.

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I get that, but I think it may have to do with where you’re from. I grew up in and live in a very similar environment to the Scottish highlands, and spend much of my leisure time alone in the mountains. The beautiful/lush folk sounds mixed with brutal sounds just kind of fits perfectly with that sort of environment, and has always been a style and aesthetic I’ve gravitated toward.

Conversely, I have trouble identifying with and/or losing myself in music of a more modern/urban nature, such as what passes for “prog” metal these days.

7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Lol, just noticed you’re from Scotland.:lol:

Mwoit likes this.
  8. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

Hah, don't get me wrong, I didn't grow up in the Highlands where Saor pulls the inspiration from. I find it interesting when fans find the Highland aesthetic appealing like yourself.

9. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

Do these guys have any Irish heritage? Saor is the Irish word for free and Bròn is a noun meaning sorrow or sadness. The music is pretty cool, they remind of an Irish band called Na Cruithne.

10. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

This is interesting stuff, but somehow I feel like something's missing from the soundscape. I can't explain it, but for whatever reason it just doesn't click the same way other folky black metal (ish) bands do. Maybe I just need to listen some more and let it open up...

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

12. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Maybe try Saor's first album, Roots. It's a little grittier with more traditional black metal riffing, blast beats, etc. Still has that folk element, but not as deeply ingrained as everything he did afterward. The production on the later albums just gets more and more refined and clear, with more room for the atmospheric/folk stuff.

13. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Saor is the one-man project of Andy Marshall, from Scotland. As far as I know, he plays all the standard instruments on the studio albums (guitar, bass, drums, main vocals) but then has guest musicians play strings, flutes, bagpipes, female vocals, etc. He has a full band on tour and plays bass himself. Maybe some of them are Irish?

14. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I'm absolutely fine with the production and even the riffage but it kinda feels like the melodic progressions aren't going where my ears want them to :lol: Or it's like almost going but not quite, very hard to explain. That's why I said I may just have to listen to it some more.

KailM likes this.
  15. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

And here's the whole thing: :mf666:

16. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

TIL: How to correctly pronounce Saor (it's like Suhr with a Scottish accent).

Facebook suggested I like Saor's page, with a video of Sean Astin (aka Samwise Gamgee) giving a shout out for the new record and doing a Scottish accent.

[​IMG]

KailM likes this.
  17. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I'm waiting for it to land on Spotify ...

18. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Spoti-what? Never heard of it. :lol:

The album is up on Bandcamp @ "Name your price." I paid the full amount this morning and it was worth every penny. It's always tempting to download an album for free though, if the band is offering. I want this kind of music to continue though.

19. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I used to be against Spotify too but it's just so damned convenient. I still buy cd's, but they rarely come out of their cases these days. Oh and by the way: how is listening to the album on Youtube any better? :lol: The old drummer of my band always kept preaching how much he is against illegally downloading music and then he'd listen to ripped albums that people put on youtube all the time...

Besides, the previous Saor-albums are available on Spotify, so I'm sure the new one will be too. The only reason I want to listen to it on Spotify though, is that I don't want to jump between services, because what always happens when I listen to some stream on youtube, is that I end up listening to an hours worth of commercials when it's done because I'm too busy to change it :lol:

20. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

I just put Saor on the full shuffle at the gym today. Really good stuff, and very good "gym" music, IMO.

KailM likes this.