Sanding my Schecter Damien Elite 7. Tips?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jacksonslut, Jun 29, 2012.

1. jacksonslut

jacksonslut dennaB

I really want to sand my Schecter. Or at least the sides and back. Do you have any tips? I will be working with a Black and Decker Mouse sander. I should have some wood sealant or something somewhere. I just would like to know if anyone has gone and sanded their Mahogany Schecters? I tried the search. But nothing popped up. Thanks! If I work up the balls I'll take progress pics.

2. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I'm not sure if sanding mahogany is any different than basswood or whatnot... but as for sanding, get some 250, 300, 400 and 600 grit sand paper; actually depending on what you want to do, you could use the 400 and 600 to take off the clear coat and sand down the finish a bit; this way, you can paint right on top of it. But if you want to take it down to the wood, use the 250 and go up from there. Just be patient with it; it takes time! You might have to use your hand to get in between the horns but, that is only one option.

I took the finish all the way down to the wood, but looking back, if I could do it over, I'd take off the clear coat and sand the finish down a little and paint over it. I suppose you can put your primer over the finish first then paint the color of your choosing. Good luck!

3. The Uncreator

The Uncreator Control The Sun

Sanding wood is generally all around the same. I've done mahogany, maple, basswood, ash, not all necessarily guitars but do as the above post said. Low grit paper and work your way up. You can get to the finish and just score it, and paint will go right over it, or apply a primer.

Doing that by hand is not too exhausting, getting to bare wood would be though. Orbital sanders help if you know how to use them, but they can cause dips and burns if used too roughly.

4. schecter4life

schecter4life Banned

yea...i gave up on my washy 7 after like 5 hours of HAND sanding when i got to this point
    [​IMG]
    i just threw a sealant over that bare wood spot and that is how it looks to this day....but i wasnt painting...i was going for a stained natural finish and this paint was almost a fukin QUARTER INCH THICK
    not all paint is the same thickness though...but i would still recomend a sanding brick at least for the non-horn areas
    im going to finish this project soon, just don't know when yet

5. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

@jacksonslut

Y u want 2 do this ting? :nuts:

Do you have a garage or similar uninhabited secure space with which you can use noxious chemicals?

If so, use a chemical stripper a reapply grain sealer and then sand back to smooth... A long, tedious an physically demanding job unless you have a buffing wheel.

Unless the guitar is in really bad shape finish wise, you should have a long think about whether you will finish the project as there is a lot of work and effort involved. You should definitely have clear goals in mind before you start.

Be sure to purchase and use a quality air filter mask while you work with heavily chemically impregnated wood dust or other strong chemical compounds.

www.project-guitar.com

A good resource for this type of thing.

Best of luck!

6. bob123

bob123 Banned

250 grit for stripping paint? hahaha You're gonna be going through a ridiculous amount of sandpaper...

80 or even 50 grit to start, move your way up.

7. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

That sounds like preparation for finish sanding... I usually start with 40 when stripping paint. Anything higher than 80 to start with is going to take an obscene amount of time.

Also, if you just have a mouse sander then you'll have to be extra careful not to dig into the carves too much. I'd really prefer a random orbital sander for this (and most other sanding jobs, incidentally)

8. jacksonslut

jacksonslut dennaB

Yeah I decided against it for the moment. I looked more into it and thought about it and decided I don't have enough time for it at this moment. I'm just tired of the black color :lol: Maybe sometime in the future if she get beats up and I get a new guitar. Also thanks for the link!

9. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

Honestly, go for a heat gun, scrape, 80, 120, 300, 400ish, 600.