Saffire Pro 40 help

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Soubi7string, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Soubi7string

Soubi7string 3d printer go brrrrrrrrr

Hey there guys, in a bit of a bind.

Getting back into music and recording and pulled my equipment out of storage
    Built a new PC mainly for gaming and game building and then found my Focusrite saffire pro 40
    and decided I wanted to hook it up once more
    my problem is I don't have a Firewire port on my PC and I don't have a spot for PCIE due to my massive RTX 2070 Super in the way

are there any suggestions to hooking this sucker up so I may record once again without sacrificing the other components in my PC?

2. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

you could try firewire to thunderbolt.

3. Soubi7string

no thunderbolt connection sadly.
    I hate to ask but, firewire to USB 3.0 adapter?

4. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I'm not sure if that exist. Maybe someone else can chime in...

5. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

When I searched for something similar for a laptop aeons ago, I'm pretty sure the result was that all the FireWire to USB converters (or vice-versa) are a scam. USB and FireWire use a different protocol that is not cross-compatible. I ended up buying a laptop with an ExpressCard slot instead since I was getting to FireWire ports for basically 5 to 10 eurobucks more than the Apple-made dongle to convert from ThunderBolt 2 (which uses the depreciated miniDP plug) to one single FireWire port.
    Probably not. That being said, there are some dual-slots 2070 Super, even though true dual-slot GPUs are getting harder to find regardless of the vendor. The Nvidia Founders Edition is a true dual-slot IIRC, and EVGA makes some that are true dual slot as well. You can check them on their website.
    https://www.evga.com/products/produ...Force+20+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+2070+SUPER

You're definitively going to worsen your thermals if you put a PCIe card in front of a GPU fan though, which with how GPU Boost works on Nvidia cards can mean worse performance, since performance scales dynamically with temperature. At least your stuff will work and you're unlikely to overheat; you'll lose a few FPS here and there but it shouldn't be less enjoyable to game. The fans could run faster and a bit noisier though.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  6. Soubi7string

well the problem is I already have the 2070 super lol and its a triple slot sadly, which covers the 2 other PCIE slots.
    starting to think they dont really design these motherboards too well

7. Soubi7string

maybe a vertical GPU mount?

8. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

To be fair, most motherboard form factors have been standard for decades (1995 for standard ATX, 1997 for micro ATX, 2001 for mini ITX), though there's nothing standard about PCIe slot allocation since everyone needs different things out of their computer, and therefore different slot and lanes layouts.

It's GPUs that have become bigger and bigger; especially custom designs. It's rarer and rare to find true dual-slot designs, most "dual-slot" GPUs are like 2.25 slots, 2.5, 2.75, and all manners of basically three slots since you can't plug anything under them. Not that most people do anyway since you don't really want to block the fans.

Hence why I suggested swapping it for another GPU model, but apparently you no longer can send it back. Or at least that's what I understand.
    It's going to worsen thermals 8/10 times. I'm sparing one time out of ten for when it's located far enough from the side panel to allow the fans to breathe (which is exceedingly rare), and one other time out of ten when it's watercooled and therefore the vertical mount is only there for aesthetics.

That being said, either you worsen thermals by plugging a PCIe device just under the GPU, or you worsen thermals by mounting the GPU vertically. Choose which compromise you like better. :2c:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  9. Soubi7string

Well I found another solution
    upgrade from an X470 motherboard to an X570 where the small form factor PCIE is on top of the GPU and has nothing but 4.0 PCIE slots

10. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Happy for you it worked out. :) The GPU can have radiative heat coming from the PCB messing with the other PCIe cards, but I'm going to assume you're unlikely to both be using your GPU on high load and a FireWire card at the same time.

Soubi7string likes this.
  11. Soubi7string

Lol yeah, not recording and using Unreal Engine at the same time lol