Sad story my kxk

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by a curry, Feb 14, 2013.

1. a curry

a curry SS.org Regular

Well I don't want to take advantage of him, he said he was going to re oil it because it has dried out a bit and I don't want to have to keep re oiling it so it would be better than oil. Plus I'm not in a big hurry to get it back since I have a good back up. I'm just hoping its not going to need a new truss rod.

2. EOT

EOT I pull over 500 lbs.

I had to check my records, but I've had my Sii-7 since Oct. 2008. And it was shipped around the same time that yours was originally. As they were both for sale at the same time. I believe the original owner was "crucified" on here.

Mine has clear gloss on the body/headstock with the "oiled" neck. I haven't done a single thing to the neck other than play it occasionally. And like I said, I've had zero issues. I actually haven't even had to adjust the neck very often at all. And we get temperatures anywhere from single digits to over 110 here in KS. Humidity is all over the place as well.

I have no idea what your guitar has been through. But I highly doubt what has happened is because it needed re "oiled".

3. a curry

a curry SS.org Regular

Well I want to make sure the neck can be straightened out first and see what the cause was if its possible. Like I said it dried especially the top it was really faded rough then i put lemon oil on it and lightly steel wooled it with the finest stuff I could get and it helped a lot. If its not a result of that then I would love to keep it oiled.

4. God Hand Apostle

God Hand Apostle Tin Foil Central

This is not an isolated incident. Same thing with my old 06' KxK.

Rob will machine the truss to accept a 1/8" wrench...

It may take a while for him to do that...

In my experience, to the tune of 5 months.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

The issues with the original 06 run was a batch of bad truss rod nuts that stripped easily. Not the same issue or the same run of guitars. My blue '06 that I still have was from the same run and had the truss rod nut problem.

6. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Not sure what Rob uses specifically to oil his guitars, but I highly doubt putting lemon oil on the guitar was a good idea since that could screw up the stock finish, FWIW. :2c:

7. LolWotGuitar

LolWotGuitar SS.org Regular

Honestly, it sounds based on what OP said that the rod used for adjustment is just at the end of the threaded point on the rod.. there is a certain point when the adjustment part of the truss rod reaches the end of the threaded area, thus misthreading constantly and it won't be able to be adjusted. This is a pretty easy fix for a luthier, but it generally goes back to when the luthier first readies the truss rod and how far it is threaded when put into the guitar.
    Don't be too worried if this is the case, he should be able to fix it :)
    Again, this might not be what's happening, just my :2c:

8. a curry

a curry SS.org Regular

I was told to do that and it made the neck and body smooth again.

9. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Told to do that by Rob?

10. a curry

a curry SS.org Regular

No but the issue I'm having has been like this for a while.

11. LolWotGuitar

LolWotGuitar SS.org Regular

Any update on what the problem was or if it was fixable?

12. warped

warped SS.org Regular

I have the same issue with my KxK Sii7. The truss rod is so tight in there, the truss rod nut presses against the wooden sides of the tiny little cavity like it's being held in there really tight. I couldn't budge mine either way. Interested to know if the OP got the issue sorted? I'm not going to ship the guitar from Aus - USA - back to Aus, will just deal with it.

13. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

14. a curry

a curry SS.org Regular

I never ended up sending it back since I was able to get it set up. I had put on really heavy gauge strings by accident and it make the neck have to much bow so I swapped them out for a proper gauge and it went back to being perfect so there was no need to send it back.

15. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

But was the truss rod still frozen? If it loosened up then all good but if not that should probably have been mentioned in the for sale add.

16. fantasyl

fantasyl SS.org Regular

as a user of really heavy gauge strings I'm interested too......was the truss rod frozen due to the strings gauge?
    I used 12-74 for some periods in a couple guitars but had zero problem with their truss rods (properly adjusted to balance the higher tension)

17. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Man quite a necrobump, but worthwhile. I'm about to do a setup (attempt to) on my KxK 7DC, and I can tell the action has shifted slightly high. I've messed with the bridge a little but intonation is still holding. Climate shift from central FL to NC winter isn't that extreme, but it needs strings anyways so I might be adjusting the truss rod for the setup; interested to see how tight it is!

18. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

It's got nothing to do with the route, it's the truss rod itself. There were some rods that ended up having issues on the first run of Sii-7's. Mine had an issue as well, I sent it in and Rob fixed it. All five of my other KxKs have been fine.

19. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

I have had three KxK's, they have all been awesome.

One of them had an issue that developed a few months after I got it. Rob fixed it up in a couple weeks and even payed for shipping both ways!

I will highly recommend KxK and Rob's customer service to anyone.

20. Swyse

Swyse Swyse

This
    Kinda looks pretty ....ed up on the surface, maybe he told the buyer in PM while negotiating or something?