Sad day, gear lost

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by unclejemima218, Feb 21, 2015.

1. unclejemima218

unclejemima218 190 Proof

Hey all, don't mean to clutter stuff up with a sob story, BUT I kind of just need a spot to vent, so here goes!

So last night, I was over visiting a friend of mine down the street and I had my guitar and amp over there as well. We were just hanging out, drinking a few brews and playing guitars. I decided it would probably be a good idea for me not to drive my car home since I live within walking distance, so at the end of the night I headed home and left my gear there. (nothing much, just an Ibanez SIX28FDBG and a Peavey Vypyr combo amp)

Turns out probably 2 or 3 hours after I left, his apartment complex caught fire.

He and his pets are all safe and no other families were hurt, he was able to scoop up his 2 cats and get out with his shirt, but nothing else was salvageable really. The building really burned bad. I am more worried about whether or not I can help him in any way, and I am not bitter that my gear was lost, I am just happy everyone is okay. :yesway: I feel bad though. I have never been involved in a fire before, neither has he, so everyone is a bit shaken up. Luckily his folks live in the same town, so he is going to be posted up with them for a bit. I would offer him to live with my wife and I but our little apartment is quite...well...little. :ugh: Has anyone ever lost belongings and gear this way? How did you react/what did you do?

Which brings me to my next subject, replacement.

He does have renters insurance, so do you guys think that I would be able to get the gear replaced that way? He said he would be more than cool with including my stuff to be replaced along with all of his belongings, so long as they let him. I do want to do the right thing, so any input would be appreciated. He seems pretty confident that he will be able to get most of his belongings back, and I am glad. He's a good dude, and definitely doesn't deserve this mess.

All else fails. I guess I'll just have to buy a new guitar. Which wouldn't be all that bad, I suppose. :p

2. 07adams88

07adams88 SS.org Regular

Bummer man, that really blows. I hope all goes well during his claim process, I know sometimes they can be really drawn out.

I am not too fond of how renters insurance works but if he claims it on the report it should be replaced or reimbursed.

3. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Wow that sucks man, glad to hear everyone is alright.

Sure you should get your gear covered by his renters insurance. Compared to the total value of his apartment, i assume that your guitar and amp, fairly cheap as they are, should not make the insurance company go crazy, so just go right ahead with that.

On supporting you friend: If you don't have space, don't offer him to come live with you. However I guess he is pretty much in the same spot as you, so he will also need to vent - Invite him over and if he needs to, left him stay at your place for some days once in a while, as I can imagine that going back to live with your parents can also be a bit hard, so he probably needs to get away from time to time :)

4. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

[​IMG]

I'm glad they got out (and the pets) but that is a real bum job :(

5. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

You can still make a claim under your own renters insurance as there is typically coverage for items that were outside of your residence at the time of loss. Having your friend make a claim for your own stuff- eh, you're going to be subject to however his claim goes: coverage issues, coverage limits, liability, et cetera. If you try to assert that your friend is liable for your own loss, that might be a steep hill to climb for a fire; if he tries to pass off your stuff as his own and is somehow caught in that lie and that drags out the investigation, then you'll be SOL.

Also, some policies will cover your "contents" at replacement cost instead of actual cash value (which takes off money for depreciation), so depending on someone else's insurance might get you less than you otherwise would get under your own coverage.

6. unclejemima218

unclejemima218 190 Proof

He knows he is more than welcome at my place any time, and the couch is his to be had if he wants a place to crash. Thanks for the good vibes though. His family is pretty tight-knit so I know he will be fine there.

I do have the guitar with me now actually, it was inside of a gig bag while this all went down, so it was wet. very wet. lol. I wiped it down as best I could, it may actually be fine. The gig bag and amp (and all my MTG cards :lol:) are garbage now though.

Once the guitar dries out, any tips on how I might be able to assure it is dry and clean before plugging it in to test it? right now I just have it de-strung and sitting in my bathroom by a dehumidifier. Should I take any of the hardware off and/or the neck? There is no structural damage to the guitar, it just smells like smoke a little bit. Hopefully I dried the water off of it in time!

7. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Open the cavity and wipe as much water of it as you can - I would not recommend to put it in a bathroom with a dehumidifier - if it gets to dry the wood will shrink giving you all sorts of trouble. Just dry it by hand and let it sit in a stand to dry up - in a place with normal humidity like a living room or something like that.

8. asher

asher So Did We

Taking it apart can't hurt, helps get air to circulate around parts where moisture might sit or start to rot - I'm chiefly thinking of in the neck pocket (assuming it's a bolt-on).

9. unclejemima218

unclejemima218 190 Proof

Ok, I dried out the control cavity as best as I could, and now it is just hanging up. I'm gonna take the neck off though and check for moisture.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Guitars are actually pretty good, even after getting submerged in water. The finish applied will protect it, that's kind of the point.

The electronics, other than pickups, are likely a loss, but that's a cheap fix.

Clean the fretboard with naphtha, and let it air dry with string tension over the next couple days, then oil it.

If the pickups cavities or electronics cavities aren't covered in shielding paint, let those dry too.

All in all, your guitar should be fine unless it was left drenched for days. Then mold kicks in.

As for insurance, it depends on how much liability coverage he has, or if the building has any. Most renter's insurance covers the property of the person covered.

11. unclejemima218

unclejemima218 190 Proof

I'll look into that Max, thanks! at this point i'm not even going to worry about getting it replaced unless it's going to be absolutely no hassle for him. I need a new practice amp any way.