Ryo to leave Crystal Lake

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Ryo is truly one of the greatest vocalists put forth in the heavy music world. He is the full package — extremely talented in vocal delivery, multi-versed in vocal techniques, an inspiring lyricist, and wickedly intelligent when it comes to writing vocal melodies and toplines for vocal arrangements. And as a bonus point, fans have always mentioned that he was a very energetic frontman who liked to get the crowd involved live.

He was pretty much the only notable aspect of Crystal Lake's music (let's be honest here) because he kept things interesting as a vocalist in the oftentimes bland and generic (not to mention overly saturated) modern metalcore scene.

According to Crystal Lake's social media, the band is going to be holding open auditions for essentially anyone to audition for the vacant vocalist role.

リョウさん、大好きです!

Albake21

"Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."
Reaction score
Well bummer, I just got into them a couple years ago. I feel like a lot of the band's identity comes from the vocalist and his style, so this really sucks to hear.

Edit: After quickly reading up on what adjustment disorder essentially is, I'd say Ryo's lyrics definitely make a lot of sense now. He got really heavy at times, especially on Helix.

Last edited:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll have to read up more on the disorder and his lyrical content. I had stumbled on to them when Helix came out and Apollo blew me away... Still does! Hopefully the next vocalist can bring some intensity like Ryo did.

makesexnotwar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's really sad to read this. I saw him live once and I was very impressed how energetic he was. On that gig Crystal Lake were supporting another band and to my shame I forgot the name of the headliners but after Crystal Lake finished their part of the show it felt like this is the end of the gig and they were actual headliners. I sincerely wish Ryo all the best.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I'll have to read up more on the disorder and his lyrical content.
From reading the post on the band’s social media, I was initially under the impression that it was some kind of overwhelming sense of “imposter syndrome” or something. But apparently, “adjustment syndrome” is a legitimate, valid psychiatric disorder that can very much lead to other disorders such as major depressive disorder or PTSD (and worst-case outcomes such as suicide). I’d be keen to read up on it and learn more.

Edit: After quickly reading up on what adjustment disorder essentially is, I'd say Ryo's lyrics definitely make a lot of sense now. He got really heavy at times, especially on Helix.
Definitely reading up on this now.

Albake21

"Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."
Reaction score
From reading the post on the band’s social media, I was initially under the impression that it was some kind of overwhelming sense of “imposter syndrome” or something. But apparently, “adjustment syndrome” is a legitimate, valid psychiatric disorder that can very much lead to other disorders such as major depressive disorder or PTSD (and worst-case outcomes such as suicide). I’d be keen to read up on it and learn more.

From what I gathered, it's almost like an in-between of PTSD and major depressive disorder. Instead of it being a specific event that gets triggered from your past like PTSD, it's an event or change in life that continues to affect your life at all times. Likely due to it altering or changing your life or life prospective. So, I guess I could see maybe like a death close to you, or maybe like a sexuality thing awakening later in life. Something that changes your day to day life.

And to be clear, I'm not trying to say I know exactly the lyrical content and that it's 1:1 with his disorder, but that it very much reflects that of someone who has such a disorder. He talks a lot about losses, feeling lost in life, not understanding yourself, death, etc. but very bluntly and forward. As someone who deals with heavy depression, I always found a very close connection with his lyrics. So, to find out he has this adjustment disorder, it makes a lot of sense to why I saw the connection.

Kaura

matching headstock fetishist
Reaction score
What a sad way to find this band. Never heard of them before, decided to listen a couple of tracks on Spotify and this shit is slammin'. :lol:

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

As someone who deals with adjustment syndrome can at times be very overwhelming. For me it's lead to major anxiety issues and depression. Thankfully I finally sought real help about 2 years ago with talk therapy, medications, and learning coping techniques. All of it has helped and I hope other's will not be afraid to seek out help as well.

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got to see them in the smallest venue in Vancouver years back and he was absolutely mental on stage . Handed me the mic as well , and at the end of their set I got to talk to the bass player for a moment . Nice guy .

When I got to the venue early the whole band was outside their van with kettlebells doing a good workout . They're the real deal