Ryan Knight (Ex-TBDM) Solo Album

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by eugeneelgr, Nov 12, 2018.

1. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

https://ryanknightguitar.bandcamp.com/releases

One of my favourite guitarists from his work with Arsis and TBDM, he's now released his own solo album. Only one song's been released and it's unlike anything he's done before(country). Not really my thing but hoping to hear the rest of the tunes on it.

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Popping in so I don't forget about this. I can't stand any country I hear on the radio but if it's more like alt-country then it'll peak my interest. Very interested to hear what he'll do outside of melodeath in Arsis and TBDM. The guy is insanely talented from his work with those 2.

eugeneelgr likes this.
  3. RiffRaff

RiffRaff SS.org Regular

Love Ryan Knight so am looking forward to listening to this.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

That was super catchy and very guitar oriented.

As a personal take country guitar playing is hard, but the radio friendly pop country is usually typical 3 chord pop with whiny lyrics over it. A few artists will have little guitar hooks or lines in a bridge or verse but it largely follows big arena pop formulas.

Chicken pickin’ and “banjo rolls” etc etc can make you feel like you don’t even know how to play when you hear it though.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

for real, brad paisley, johnny hiland, albert lee and greg koch have some ridiculous riffage if you're willing to dig into their music. I don't know why more metal players don't get into country, there's some awesome players in country.

Masoo2 and Bdtunn like this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Ordered!

Stoked to hear the full album.

7. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

You know, I've been getting more and more into country style stuff lately. I did FOH for Shooter Jennings the other night, and that dude completely won me over with his mix of outlaw country and darker psychedelic sounds.

Definitely going to be spinning this quite a bit when it comes out!

Smoked Porter likes this.
  8. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

The miriad of shitty generic pop-country that's all over the radio makes it a tough gap to bridge, at least for me. I dig stuff like The Handsome Family but don't know where else to look for anything I'd like in the vein of country.

9. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

That's because most modern country music is based on pop music with some country flourishes thrown in moreso than any of where it gets it's roots from.

A parallel to where mainstream country music ended up is where mainstream hard rock and metal ended up. You had the 70s and 80s where shredding was essential to being a serious band, even if you were looking for play on mainstream radio. Eventually that went out and the "in" thing was deliberately dumbed down instrumentation, and eventually the whole scene got away from lead playing all together. You've got whole generations of rock/metal players that grew up on Nirvana, then Korn, then Three Days Grace or Twenty One Pilots as what plays on the radio, and lead playing just isn't a consideration for them.

My personal belief is that you have to trace lead playing in country music back to bluegrass. Bluegrass reminds me a lot of jazz, blues or a lot of classical music, where an essential part of it is the role of the soloist. In those genres, the vocals are often used as a placeholder or something to at least give the music a theme but lion's share of the runtime is spent with everyone flexing their muscles.

I think the further you get away from bluegrass as a founding principal of country music, the more complex melodies or leads get pushed aside. You got a little bit of cool guitar playing in some 'bro' country in the past few years but they were borrowing most of THAT from rock and metal music, not country. Brad Paisley actually pulls a good bit of the bluegrass sound into his writing, it's just that his ballads are the things that make the charts (see also: John Mayer).

Can't forget Vince Gill. He's another one that gets overlooked because of how much attention his ballads get but that guy absolutely oozes that old school country/bluegrass vibe. I don't mind Brad Paisley's faster stuff but even with him, I catch myself fast forwarding to the solos. Vince Gill is a dude where I can listen to his songs start to finish, partially because he sprinkles in little flourishes ALL over the place and partially because they're actually fun songs.

As a bonus, some more Vince Gill with another amazing player, Brent Mason

And of course, you can't talk modern country lead shred without mentioning Andy Wood.

10. KnightBrolaire

brent mason is a monster player, same with andy wood. i don't know vince gill so i'll check him out

11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Looking forward to this.

12. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Listened to the track, loved it. As far as metal goes, TBDM are my favourite band but I always felt like Ryan could do so much more outside of metal setting. I think this will be a superb release.

13. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I can vouch for Brad Paisley. I went to one of his shows. Dude can SHRED. Sweeps and all. I generally can't stand modern country but his work is more than respectable.

I went to a smaller country show one time and the supporting band played a set I'd describe as speed-bluegrass. They closed with "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and in the middle of that song broke in to the riffs of "South of Heaven." After the show I complimented them on their Slayer chops.

Randy and KnightBrolaire like this.
  14. KnightBrolaire

paisley is pretty underrated outside the country scene as a player. he has some gnarly riffs with a lot of slides into double stops/chicken pickin/etc
    bluegrass players usually shred like randy said. there's a relatively local band called trampled by turtles that does bluegrass covers of alt/pop songs and they tear shit up.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just finished with my first full listen of the album.

Great from back to front. I don't have a favorite track yet, but Hayride to Hell, '80s Artifact and Fatal Affairs are stand outs in my opinion.

The song length is perfect and even though there are a lot of genre elements, the album feels really cohesive, like an album should, not just a bunch of songs.

The playing is fucking great. I don't think anyone was expecting otherwise. There's a lot of notes going on, but it doesn't feel overly shreddy.

Overall great album. If I could critique anything at all, I'd say that having a vocalist or two would have been cool, but I can dig on instrumental stuff.

16. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

This is a refreshing album no sweep sweep to single finger taps anywhere haha
    But the playing is phenomenal and I really enjoy this one.