Rush announces 40th anniversary tour, R40.

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by QuantumCybin, Jan 26, 2015.

1. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Rush's R40 likely to be last major tour for the band

They've said it's going to be the "last tour of this magnitude". Can't really blame them, the dudes have been touring for basically two of my lifetimes. I really enjoyed Clockwork Angels, so I imagine they've got one or two more albums left in them. Alex Lifeson is a big inspiration to me as a guitarist; his compositional skills and knack for melody is just awesome, and with such an extensive catalog of music behind them, they're going to leave quite a legacy. I had the privilege of seeing them a few years back when I turned 18 with my best friend in the best seat in the house. Front row, dead center. Definitely an unforgettable experience, they are so ridiculously tight live.

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  2. ridner

ridner Bastard of Thousands

gonna try and hit the St Paul, MN date - would like to catch them at least once

3. QuantumCybin

Yeah, I've seen them twice in my life, both were a great time. I'm surprised Alex doesn't get mentioned more around here. He might not be a shred machine but his versatility over the decades is astounding. Truly a progressive guitarist.

Middletown Dreams is one of my favorites by them. Those lyrics, man...

Digital Man, because bass.

La Villa Strangiato, because, well...everything

The Fountain of Lamneth, because it never got as recognized as 2112 but is still ridiculous considering this was their third album.

A Farewell to Kings

And most recently, The Garden, the last track off Clockwork Angels

I could go on and on about Rush for hours but I figured that handful of videos helps demonstrate their diversity. Lots of inspiration for me there.

4. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Tour Dates?

5. QuantumCybin

6. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I haven't gotten around to seeing them live or listening to anything they've put out since the 80's, apparently I need to fix both of those things this year.

7. F1Filter

F1Filter Contributor

Be nice if they included this in the setlist again.

8. QuantumCybin

Dude yes. I love Cygnus X-1 and how they continued it onto their next album. Two of the best songs ever haha.

This is one of my favorite songs from the 90's by them, got to see them play it live too. Quite awesome, and it's one of their few instrumentals.

9. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

I'll have to check out some recent concert footage, because I saw them on the Clockwork Angels tour, and Geddy's voice was really showing its age. The music was great, and I'd love to see them again just for that (especially since, between that show and now, I have come to own their entire discography minus the first album), but I'd be a lot more excited about going if Geddy's voice is in good shape and the show I saw was just an anomaly.

10. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Oh, the band :lol:.
    When i first seen the thread title i thought it was something off the Limbaugh newsletter.:wallbash:

11. QuantumCybin

Yeah, his voice has definitely softened over the years, but I think their style has adopted quite well for it. He has better and worse days when it comes to touring; when I saw them in 2011, his voice was still pretty damn powerful. The dude still has pipes. Couple more of my favorites by them...one is another instrumental from the 90's and one is from their 2nd most recent album that came out in '07.

I think this is a good example of his softening voice still doing a great job.

12. yingmin

I'm not talking about his voice being softer; I'm talking about his voice actually failing. The last time I saw Rush, he was struggling to sing even the newer stuff that was written for his diminished vocal capacity. He looked like he was in physical pain any time he was singing.

13. QuantumCybin

Well I know in recent interviews he's had, him and Neil are the ones who are pushing for this to be their last big tour. Alex apparently doesn't mind as much. So yeah, part of that might be due to years of strain on his voice. I am surprised he has gone as long as he has.

14. slowro

slowro Drunken Scot

I would love to see thine live
    It's a shame if geddy's voice is failing because they look like they are in their prime on their instruments an just having fun

15. QuantumCybin

From my own personal experience seeing them live, his voice has always held up, but the last time I saw them was four years ago. So a lot can happen then. But some videos I've seen from their most recent tour, his voice still sounds powerful. But yeah, I'm sure with all the time he has spent singing, now more than ever he would be experiencing difficult days.

However, at the end of the day, their musicianship is still top-notch. Ged is an absolute monster on that bass :lol:

16. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

Well I hope they consider a European leg for this tour as well. They're definitely on my bucket list :lol:

17. yingmin

And, in fairness to him, he held up a lot longer than Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. I saw him live a few years ago when he was touring behind Thick as a Brick 2. There was a secondary singer who was doing more than half the vocals, and Ian still struggled for every note he sang, and seemed to be singing barely above speaking level. He looked like a cartoon drunk, craning his neck like he's hiccuping. From live footage I've seen of Tull, that's not at all a recent development, which is strange because Ian's vocals have never been as challenging as most of his contemporaries anyway.

18. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I'll probably have to check this one out. I assume you guys have seen Beyond the Lighted Stage? If not, check it out!

And I saw them for the Time Machine tour, when they played all of Moving Pictures, and it was AWE-SOME!

19. Der JD

Der JD SS.org Regular

Interesting. I saw them on the Clockwork Angels tour also and his voice was actually really good. He was hitting high notes better than I'd seen him do in years. Much better than many of the live DVDs that have come out in recent years. I was really surprised. It was a date early on in the tour so maybe seeing one of the first shows of the tour is the key.

I'll probably go. Rush is my favorite band of all time and a huge influence even though I haven't been crazy about the last 3 albums. Who knows, this might be my last chance.

20. QuantumCybin

The Camera Eye. That is all :bowdown: