Running from interface into amp fx loop?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

@Ola Englund did a video on this almost a year ago and it seemed to work fine. David Maxim Micic chimed in in the comments and said it works fine for him too.

However, I thought I saw a thread on here about this a while back but can’t find it now. I thought there were questions about running a line level signal into your amp’s fx loop. Is there a possibility of messing something up or is it a “don’t worry about it, it’ll be fine,” thing?

2. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I did find this via a google search:

“It will work fine, as long as you match levels - either you use an output with an analog volume control or you set the output volume from your DAW.

A reamp box isn't necessary as long as you can turn the output level down enough to match that of a guitar, which I imagine you can do, and a DI box isn't necessary as long as your pre or audio interface has a high impedance input, and most current interfaces and pre's do have those.”

3. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I have a Steinberg UR22mkII and I've run mine into both the input of a Mosvalve poweramp and the fx return of my bass amp and both times it worked fine. The sound wasn't great because my only cab is a 4x10 but that aside, it did work without any serious issue.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  4. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

running line level into an fx loop works fine. some fx loops are indeed line level or switchable, but even if they aren't it's all good. I've messed with this myself... running amp heads from TH-U into my marshall practice amp and it sounds killer. only time you need to have a reamp box is if you're going into the front of the amp

Deadpool_25 likes this.