Rotting Christ

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by wheresthefbomb, Jun 16, 2021.

1. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I can't be bothered to bend the obtuse search function to my will so forgive me if this is a repost, but I am just getting back into this band. I used to listen to them back when Theogonia was relatively new, and listened to their next two albums after that a fair bit. They fell off my radar for quite a few years as my musical tastes generally shifted away from traditional metal, but today I ended up watching two full livestream concerts they did over quarantine and was really impressed. They're all old and grey but they sound great, the production is superb, and it's really impressive that they delivered these inspired performances to an audience they couldn't see. I like Sakis' vocals in these videos even more than the studio recordings, there's a real earnestness to his delivery that I'll trade for the "intensity" of multi-tracked vox any day.

I never really listened to their older material but I've been digging into it today and really enjoying it. I read somewhere that their use of synths in the early 90s was fairly innovative at the time in BM, it's interesting to see how pervasive those aesthetics are now. Overall I'm finding that their style is still innovative and they're standing the test of time very impressively. I'm also impressed on a personal/ideological level with their active rejection of NSBM horsesh!t.

I wish they'd done Keravnos Kivernitos in either of the livestream concerts, that was my jam back in the day. Amazing to see how old they look compared to this video. This song still gets stuck in my head regularly, great hooks throughout and the melodic breakdown at 3:21 is so stupidly catchy and hummable.

Hooray for Rotting Christ!

jahosy, pecado, CM_X5 and 4 others like this.
  2. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Thy Mighty Contract is an incredible record. I know Greece isn't the first place most people think of when they hear the words "black metal" but these guys and Varathron are 2 of my favorites in the genre.

3. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Damn, that’s good!

4. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I listened to a bit of Aealo when it came out but never really came back to them, but I'll check out what you linked and if anyone has some recommendations.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Heretics was a slog to listen to, I'd say avoid it. Their older stuff is great though.

wheresthefbomb and jahosy like this.
  6. jahosy

jahosy SS.org Regular

Started following them with non-serviam, triarchy of lost lovers is still my favourite. Both really solid albums. The ones after are abit of hit and miss for me, to many filler tracks in them IMO. I've to say their their live material was really good though. Thoroughly enjoyed both the gigs i attended in the mid 2000s.

And yeh as KnightBrolaire mentioned, Heretics was an easy pass .....

wheresthefbomb and sirbuh like this.