Rotosound 8-String Set

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by TripperJ, Feb 25, 2013.

1. TripperJ

TripperJ SS.org Regular

Rotosound just announced a new 8-string set as part of the yellow series
    10,13,17,30w,42w,54w,64w,74w
    Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

2. FAiRLiGHT

FAiRLiGHT GUiTAR ADDiCT

Too light for me

This kind of strings gauge already exists in ernie ball and d'addario products range :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a set of .009 - .080 would be better

3. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

The gauges for the low strings don't make sense.

4. Danukenator

Danukenator Kane's Bane

Again, what the hell? So a .54 for an E is fine but going for an .80 for the F# is too heavy.

5. Bretton

Bretton SS.org Regular

Most of us seem to know that all these prepackaged string sets are horribly balanced... why doesn't anybody seem to release any good sets?

6. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

[​IMG]

Chuck likes this.
  7. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

I asked them about this and they said they were thinking about more "traditionally" balanced sets but it's probably gonna be a while.

I don't really see how they came up with those gauges, especially when they list the tension for each string on the back of the pack :scratch: and now every company seems to be following suit. DRs are a bit better, but still odd. It's not so bad for F# standard on a 25.5" or 26.5" scale, but a .054 E on something like a 28.6" Agile is crazy.

Thankfully, D'Addario's 10-59 7 string set is more than fine for the first 7, and an 80 balances with those pretty nicely. I've figured out what gauges I like though so I'm probably gonna switch over to entirely Circle K.

8. Valennic

Valennic Many Fingers

I think these companies need to do a little bit of math. I know very few people who enjoy that much tension on a low E at a standard scale, let alone a baritone scale. Then you add flop city with the F#, in comparison to the E that is, and you have a totally fucked feeling. Makes little sense to me :shrug:. I'll go circle k.

9. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

^^^ Agreed: I like the 10-59 plus a 74 for F# standard on a 27" scale, and I could probably be happy with a slightly heavier lowest string on that tuning.

10. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I've just relegated myself to the fact that I am going to have to build sets to get the gauges I want.

11. Philligan

A few days ago I tried doing 10-59 in standard and bumped the 80 E up to F# and it restored my faith in 27" scales :agreed: My next set's gonna be a Circle K 10-47 + 61 + 86 for drop E.

12. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

I'm really surprised they don't use a site like this which is pretty much a target market to figure out what the general public would like best. I mean not to make this site seem wayy more important then it is but a simple poll on this site would show those gauges are just silly. Just my two cents though.

I think the general sets should be for drop E on a 26.5 or 27" scale since that's what most of production model 8's are anyway but maybe thats cause that would help me! haha. It'd be cool if they offered a variety like say for fan frets but I doubt that would make sense business wise. Maybe have a 26.5/27 set (somewhere in the middle) and have a 25.5 set? Idk just thinking outloud

Edit: ^ I originally had a 10-46 + 62 + 80 set for drop E and I loved it.... but I decided to go crazy and get a circle k set 10-45 + 65 + 94 for drop D# and holy shit it's amazing. I never thought a .094 could sound so great until I tried circle k. Before switching my D'addario's sounded dead, over 60 IMO.

Philligan likes this.
  13. Philligan

This exactly. I really don't know what I'm talking about, but the way I see it, it would make literally all the difference in the world for the gear nerds like us, and I'm sure the guys/kids who wouldn't notice wouldn't complain about it. I feel like they'd sell way more, but since they're probably not selling as many sets, they feel like there's not much market for it and aren't too excited to sink more money into R&D for more sets. Circle K's are probably the best strings I've used, but if D'Addario or EB made reasonable 8 string sets (or more gauges for guitar that don't sound funny) available I'd just order a box of them from my local store.

Slightly OT - I got some 74 and 80 singles fresh from their factory and they sound great. But I'd never order them from a site or store, because every time the 80s have been duds.

Good to know, man :) when I order a couple 10-86 sets I'll grab an 89 or 91 or something to try too :yesway:

I've always tried to go lighter with my strings (like 9-74 or 9-80 for drop E) because I figured the heavier strings would start to sound bassier. The 80 in E sounded worse than the 74, but when I tuned it up to F# it sounded amazing. I'm hoping that I just need to go heavier for the E and it'll at least sound close to as good.

14. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

It's weird but the .094 circle K sounded more guitar like then the .080 D'addario. It retained all the right tonal qualities and feel. I bought it as a joke but ended up loving it.

15. Solaris

Solaris SS.org Regular

I just bought an 8 string D'addario set and put them on... D'addario, I am disappoint.

16. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Oh FFS, WTF? etc...

Roto, Ernie, Dadd ... just seem to be blindly copying others gauge choices despite the simply stupid tensions. But then we've had decades of this kind of behaviour with traditional guitar and bass sets. This is why you should experiment with singles to find your optimum, never assume the gauges in sets make sense or are that way for a good reason.

Seeing the tensions visually just shows how stupid these sets are:

[​IMG]

For more tension visualisations see my thread http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/music-theory-lessons-techniques/190547-visualising-tension-profiles.html

Nagash likes this.
  17. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

I kinda/sorta take that back. :lol: I think I know where they're coming from. Before D'addario jumped on the even tension bandwagon, they had a blurb in their FAQs about placing more emphasis on balanced tone and output over balanced tension. An incarnation of it is still there...

"After many hours of research, we developed an evenly weighted bass set that sounded quite miserable. Oddly enough, what seemed would work wonderfully on paper didn't work out in application. The output of the strings was far from balanced. Only by altering the gauging, as we have in our string lines, have we been able to maintain a balance of gain and gauge."

I'm tempted to make a deliberately unbalanced set of Circle Ks to test this hypothesis. :ugh:

18. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

yep, this is why none of the 8-string sets are usable, imo.

the 4th, 5th and 6th string gauges are WAY off.

personally, i think a .74 is the limit for 8-strings on 27" or less. an .80 has way too much bass and output making the tone unusable, imo. unless you're processing the fuck out of the pick attack with an axefx or similar :lol:

19. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

La Bella and CircleK makes nicely balanced strings.

20. Bretton

Bretton SS.org Regular

Yeah, some buddies and I are planning a circle K group buy. making our own sets, going 009 012 016 022 031 043 059 082 for the 8s (ends up cheaper than their pre-made 9-82 set), and I'm going to experiment with dropping the 3 bass strings an octave on a standard guitar with 009 012 016 047 067 094.